CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Re: CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Post#326 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Horizon is definitely on my "snap it up on sale, then rave about it 9 months after everyone else is over it" hotlist. If the story is actually good, I'm on board. I kind of got tired of "AAA" games having fairly mediocre (but not bad) stories.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#327 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm

A great story and also some really great performances from Ashly Burch and Lance Reddick (!). Reddick I guess is to Horizon what Keith David was to Mass Effect. Reminds me, I still haven't finished Fringe.

There's DLC coming sometime this year so I have a feeling the base game will probably go on sale around the same time, especially 'cause it was already on sale once during the last PSN thing.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#328 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Hot take: the Riot SMG is bad. The tranq pistol remains the non-lethal weapon of record. At least until a suppressed version of the tranq sniper reveals itself in the development list.

John Layfield

Post#329 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:14 pm

The tranq pistol is 100 times better than the Riot SMG (and Dan's insistence otherwise was frustrating).

Delthazar

Post#330 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:17 pm

I took down Quiet with three shots from my tranq sniper. That was pretty satisfying. But the real MVP of that mission is D-Dog thanks to his passive target marking, without him the battle would've taken all day or I would've caved and gone overly aggressive.

Ain't no The End but nevertheless I love encounters like this.

Meanwhile on Metal Gear Scanlon, Drew somehow fell off a ledge to his death while trying to find a sniping position.

Delthazar

Post#331 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Fire Emblem Heroes readjusted some stuff in their latest update. First summon in a new focus is now free and odds for 4-stars have been swapped with the 3-stars. I think it might be less stingy with orbs now too but maybe that's just for the event.

I got a 5-star Hinoka with my first free summon, my first 5-star unit, so that's pretty cool.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#332 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:54 pm

It's just for the event, but I didn't realize the free summons started right away, so I better get on that.

And wow, it took you a long time to get a 5-star. I've been unlucky lately but if you just now got your first, ouch.

Delthazar

Post#333 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:35 pm

I've gotten hosed a lot with dupes and various 1- or 2-star goons, plus getting enough orbs to summon efficiently is kinda time-consuming. So most of my roster is made up of the folks I like enough to bootstrap up to 4-stars via potential or others sitting at 20 waiting their turn.

Bier_Engel

Post#334 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Oh ouch, 1-2 star summons? I feel like I get a lot of dupes that are 3 stars and I get kinda mad about it, but I don't think I've gotten anything lower than 3 as a summon.

Just looked at the current focuses and yeah, the percentage rates don't include anything under 3 stars. Are you mixing your summons up with the lame 1-2 star special map prizes?

But speaking of building people up, I raised Anna to 5 stars and she's great. Looking to do the same with Alphonse and Shereena (they all start as 2-star main charas and I have the other 2 sitting at 4 stars, level 20ish). I've noticed from arenas and such that they really do get good if you put the time into them.

Delthazar

Post#335 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:Just looked at the current focuses and yeah, the percentage rates don't include anything under 3 stars. Are you mixing your summons up with the lame 1-2 star special map prizes?

Maybe, yeah. Unless they just eliminated 1/2-star summons entirely with this update. I haven't had to run special maps in ages 'cause it always seems to be like the same half-dozen characters over and over.

Anna's at 4-stars for me and still leads my main squad. Probably my highest-level green unit, getting close to 40, but the feather cost to unlock 5-star potential is pretty high so I've been holding off.

Bier_Engel

Post#336 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:06 am

New summon focus today for the Tempest Trials, and my free summon netted me a 5-star Sonya. My first 5-star green mage :D I have like, 4 different red ones. Now it's blue that I'm severely lacking in.

Delthazar

Post#337 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:17 am

Yet another new focus today, too. Plus a second batch of login orbs. Gonna get my summons on.

Over on the Metal Gear side: no, Hideo, I still don't feel ashamed of my words and deeds.

John Layfield

Post#338 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:47 am

photosynthesis

Bier_Engel

Post#339 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 am

Nothing good this time. I'd really like a Ninian or Celica, but no luck :/

Delthazar

Post#340 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Heh, I summoned a Camilla, the only character I've seen so far with a full animated intro. First thing that came to mind when I saw that was the old joke about bad male authors writing female characters, "she breasted boobily down the stairs..."

Fire Emblem has got quite a thirst for a Nintendo product.

John Layfield wrote:photosynthesis

man The End must've been so uncomfortable underneath all those fatigues, huh

Bier_Engel

Post#341 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Camilla's pretty good, but yeah, those titties will stay in your face the whole time.

Delthazar

Post#342 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

It's kinda hilarious that they even angled her art just enough to sneak some topboob (overboob?) into her thumbnail portrait. :pac

Bier_Engel

Post#343 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:54 pm

It's completely unrealistic, but not unexpected...

Delthazar

Post#344 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Episode 16 can eat a bag of dicks. If I could just fulton the damn truck without spawning the skulls that would be nice. Grrrrr.

John Layfield

Post#345 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:18 pm

It's possible to fulton the truck without alerting them, but it takes some time and a little luck. Basically, the Skulls are always slowly drawn towards you even when they don't "see" you, so you have to lure them out a bit without alerting them then double back. Then either fulton, or drive away.

Or ya know, KICK THEIR ASSES then just saunter away with the goods because THEY'RE DEAD

Delthazar

Post#346 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 pm

I did the first thing and it worked. That's on me for trying to engage them earlier with tranqs and constantly getting caught. Also on me for letting the convoy get to the camps and not being fast enough to ambush it on the road.

Delthazar

Post#347 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 am

I didn't realize until now that the "recover a wandering Mother Base soldier" side ops are a million times easier if you just get within visual range and sit in your cardboard box. :pac

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#348 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm

With no internet at home, I took the opportunity to finally play Gone Home.

Really enjoyed it, and especially liked the duality of the regular positivity of Katie's postcards juxtaposed against Sam's angst. I found it struck quite close to home, since I have one queer sister and another sister that spent a lot of time working overseas on OEs.

Delthazar

Post#349 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Had I played Gone Home in 2013 it probably would've been my GOTY for that year. Good to know it still holds up even after several other games have sorta taken the baton and ran with it since then, including Edith Finch and Tacoma just in the last few months, which I still gotta get around to. Considering how hard Life is Strange hit me in 2015 I should really give Gone Home another run someday. It's a microcosm of similar themes.

Also riot grrl is pretty great and that subgenre needs a comeback.

I played a few hours of Sonic Mania last night. It's fantastic, anyone who has any nostalgia at all for proper, OG, Genesis-era Sonic the Hedgehog, can safely pick it up blind and you'll almost certainly love it.

I'm stuck on a boss though and I'm not sure if it's bugged or if I'm just too old now to have the same reflexes I did back in the Genesis days. The Arstechnica reviewer had the same issue and assumed bug, so that's unfortunate. But I'll clear that hurdle eventually. Still worth it.

I saw that one boss which was under specific press embargo and I totally get why they didn't want people talking about it. That was a huge highlight for me so far. Very surprising, very inventive.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#350 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 pm

I didn't have a Genesis so didn't play the original games in their first run. Are there any eggs in there for those who cut their teeth on the Sonic Adventure games?

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”