[Final Fantasy] We are all Basch.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Re: [Final Fantasy] We are all Basch.

Post#551 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Did you beat beat the Trickster, FC?

If not, Shades of Black seems to bypass the barrier by casting poison magic. Mostly Bio, which is good, since for my party (level 42) it was doing 2500ish damage. The Concurrences DO NOT bypass this defense, I learned to my chagrin. I don't remember how I beat it last time...

Choco-Meteor was brutal!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#552 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Yeah I noticed since I last fought it that Bio is non-elemental, so my Ashe casts that with abandon when elements aren't working. I should fight it again, I have a ton more HP now to soak damage from that phase.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#553 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Really crappy that the chocobo shop keep, rescued by a miraculous chocobo... ordered it's murder.

True Perception

Post#554 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Man, that Crystalbug in the Nabreus Deadlands was way strong!

True Perception

Post#555 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:42 pm

I just beat Carrot. It wasn't all that bad until it's health got low, and it wouldn't lay off the Regen and Protect. I just kept Balthier at a distance to keep him from getting hit by Bad Breath, and had him use Remedy whenever someone got hit, since his Remedy removes all of the status effects of Bad Breath. Once it got too low to bash down, I just hit it with a Concurrence, and no more Carrot.

Edit: I tried setting up a Dispel Gambit on Panelo (White Mage/Black Mage), but it couldn't keep up. Probably would have worked, eventually, but I chose the "You die now!" button.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#556 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 pm

If you have heaps of MP anyway, the way I see it is that with a lot of effects they have to cast it on themselves, and all the time they're spending putting up Protect is time they're not bad breathing me. Even more now that my Balthier (White/Mach) has an auto-haste accessory, the only real risk is burning through his MP which hasn't happened for me yet.

In the carrot fight's last stage I had Ashe tanking all the status etc with a gambit to cleanse herself of disease (with the item), and I might have turned off his purge gambit to let him focus on healing.

Are you bubbling before these fights now? It takes a lot of pressure off.

True Perception

Post#557 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Nah. I've never used Bubble before. Even on previous playthroughs. How's it work?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#558 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 am

Bubble doubles your max HP, healing you for that much when it's cast. So if your MAX HP is 4500, it goes up to 9000 and heals for 4500. When a boss can hit for 2500 it's a lot safer when that's not more than half your max.

It doesn't have a super long duration, but will last most of a big fight and since I have Fran (Red/Archer) casting it it doesn't interrupt my healing. It's too expensive to run all the time, but it's great for bosses.

Delthazar
The balance needs to be re-addressed. / DRAGONS! EAT THEM RAWWWW (0-38) / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia

Post#559 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Once your mages are leveled high enough (50+ probably) there's basically no raisin I can think of not to have Bubble up at all times. The only particular downside I can think of is if you run into enemies who like to spam Gravity, since it'll recalculate its damage upwards to account for Bubble, but this is an exceedingly rare case with plenty of hard counters. 'sides, like I mentioned before, the same is true of Balance, so it's a two-way street.

You can also offset Bubble's MP expense pretty easily since most or all mage classes (and maybe a few non-mages besides?) have access to Green magic on their license boards, so you don't necessarily need to make one person your Bubble butt. Also, there are Bubble Ring accessories which do the same thing at no cost other than taking up your accessory slot.

True Perception

Post#560 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Well, if anyone is going to be my "Bubble butt", it's got to be Fran (Time Mage/Archer).

I'm still balancing out levels, but at the moment, Vaan/Basch/Ashe seems to be noticeably better (with the exception of swapping Vaan for Balthier in that Carrot fight). I think I'll still balance, though. I sidetrack so much into harder areas that I'm overleveled, so no big problem.

When does Float come along?! I swear I had it way earlier in previous playthroughs. I don't want to venture into the Necrohol without it...

True Perception

Post#561 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 pm

So, I found an interesting problem. If you set up a Bubble Gambit on someone, and that someone has a Mirror Mail on (or is otherwise Reflected), they will stand in one spot and cast Bubble on themselves ad nauseum. Diamond Armor it is!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#562 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 am

I avoid reflect on my party because I'm pretty magic focused. What gambits do you guys have set up for permi-buffs?

I have:
Ashe (herself) > Libra
Fran (Ashe) > Protect
Fran (herself) > Protect
Fran (Ashe) > Regen

It already slows me down a bit with the casting, so part of avoiding perma-bubble is the party stopping more to rebuff and I don't feel like I'm in danger much except for hunts etc.

Delthazar
The balance needs to be re-addressed. / DRAGONS! EAT THEM RAWWWW (0-38) / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia

Post#563 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am

I have Penelo set up to cast Libra and Ally: Any > Protectga. I haven't felt the need to do the same with Shell. Anyone who can run Bubble casts it on themselves.

My other buffs/debuffs are situational: I'll turn on Ashe's Ally: Any > Haste gambit when opening up a fight with bosses/espers/marks, then Slow the boss after Penelo hits it with Dispelga to wipe its buffs if necessary. I also have gambits using buffs to counter debuffs if Esuna isn't good enough. Haste on Slow, Regen on Sap, etc.

True Perception

Post#564 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 am

Not much. Vaan and Balthier are my rotating party leader, so they have Self>Libra. I just put Bubble on Fran. I had Haste on Fran, but it's a bit of a drain. She has more MP now, so maybe I'll try it again. For now, it's just Ally: Slow> Haste.

Are you guys playing Active? I am mostly now, but I find the combat too fast to go Active during harder Hunts.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#565 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am

I mostly just let my gambits do their thing, often in the sped up 2x mode.

Most hunts/bosses I start with dispel and then throw a few rounds of blind & silence & slow & poison until I establish what it's immune to. I also have Ashe set up with:

Weak to Fire > Firaga
Weak to Lightning > Thunaga
etc across all elements

Fran and Balthier both have high priority on Ally:any > Raise, so in the cases where Ashe goes down she's often back to life before the text comes up asking me to switch party leaders. Ashe herself has ally:any > Phoenix down which is even faster than raise for getting people back on their feet.

In terms of attack gambits for general use, Ashe and Fran both have 'lowest HP > attack' while Balthier has 'foe:100% > attack' first for those times where Fran gets stuck trying to steal from someone with her steal gambit and not contributing.

Delthazar

Post#566 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Also try:

Fire Weak > Oil

Boom.

I think fire spells might be the only elemental magic that can be boosted this way, so this combination might be worth running against any large enemy group not strong against fire.

I'm also constantly running at 2x speed unless I'm fighting a boss/mark/esper or, very rarely, one of those rare specimens in the bestiary which are usually stronger than average, or if I accidentally pull aggro on an elemental.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#567 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 pm

I presume someone in my party has Oil, I should look for that.

Delthazar

Post#568 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Big batch of fresh marks on the board after getting back from Giruvegan. A few with cheevos attached too. 'til now I've finished all of 'em except Tricky and Gilgamesh. So I should put on some podcasts and go hunting while I've got a guest in the party.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#569 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Shear is a great ability (lowers enemy magic resist), Ashe is throwing out 10k nukes like she's going out of business. Tried the oil trick, seems a lot of hunts are just immune to it which is sad.

I'm also impressed that if I can hit/kill at least 2 enemies with Ashe's magic she has a net gain of MP. The trickiest hunt I had today was one in the Necrohol who just spammed gravity. It was mostly trouble because I ran into it with my backup party who are all melee and so all getting hit by the spells. Eventually managed to trade them out as they died (before my revive gambits put them back up) and then it became a cakewalk since Fran and Balthier stand so far back with their bow/gun.

Had one hunt (Overlord) with a companion along, apparently this companion was immune to Bubble which was fun to learn after Fran got stuck in a buff loop on him.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#570 » Mon May 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Locke's next to join Dissidia:

After the inexplicable decision to start DLC with Vayne, this is a much better reveal.

HunterF
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#571 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:15 am

They probably wanted to promote the PC release of 12 and needed another villain. Ashe or Basch would have made way more money, though.

Delthazar

Post#572 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 am

Don't forget Balthier, the leading man.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#573 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Even if they had to have a villain, the more obvious choice was Gabranth.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”