[Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Fire Emblem] Nintendo Got Thirsty

Post by Delthazar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:45 pm

New banner! Maybe I can finally pull an Arya.

Heh. Went in for my freebie summon, get four colourless and one blue, take a colourless, immediately get a second Brave Lyn. :pacdown Not gonna scoff at a Brave lyn I'll eventually merge but that's probably my pity pull gone and four (4!) orbs of the wrong colour on a summon screen really sucks.

-ATK/+DEF also which is like the opposite of a good IV for Brave Lyn too, oof. Merge fodder unless I really need one of her skills on another unit

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 am

I went in, got two red and three green. Nothin' but garbo.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:28 am

Had two red orbs. First summon was trash, second was Ayra! I have the other characters in that banner already, so that's a wrap.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 am

Three reds, and the best I got was a three star Marth...

Edit: Man, the auto-battler is stupid! It keeps charging forward, giving the enemy first hits with advantaged units.

And, now it left my lowest level guy at the start of the map. Dude!
Last edited by True Perception on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Yup. The AI is way stupider when it's controlling your characters. Funny that.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah, I'd rather blitz through a map making more obvious moves than use auto. It's not that much slower.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:34 pm

If you're going to auto it's best to have at least one healer and good enemy-phase units. Either that or 4x Brave Lyn :pac

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:02 pm

By enemy-phase units, I'm assuming you mean multi-ranged counter units?

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm

I got a good team going! It's Ike, Lyn, Est, and Clarine. They're killing all the things and it's great.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:45 pm

True Perception wrote:By enemy-phase units, I'm assuming you mean multi-ranged counter units?
Units with skills like distant/close counter, and close/distant defense, and the skills that trigger when a unit is attacked rather than when they attack. Quick Riposte is another example, guaranteeing two counter hits when attacked with high health. They're units designed for baiting opponents in.

Typically armour units fit this description because they tend to have high stats and attack. Any fighter with good defenses can count, like Nephenee is great for baiting phsyical units, high defense and her wrath skill with a rapid special means basically every counter she does is a skill. Her RES is baaaad though, so mages tear her apart.

My current main team is Spring!Sharena, LA!Eliwood, Zelgius, Witchy!Nowi. If/when my two tanks are attacked they have really high defenses:

Zelgius
DEF: 38 +6 (def tactic 3) = 44
RES: 21 +6 (res tactic 3) +4 (warding breath) = 31
Distant Counter [weapon]
Quick Riposte (counter twice if over 90% hp) [seal]
Warding Breath (RES+4, special cooldown +1 per attack) [A]
With Black Luna as his special, from the start of combat he will always counter with that as his second hit from QR.
Also has Panic Ploy to debuff any opponent buffs if they started in line with him.

LA!Eliwood
DEF: 31 +6 (def tactic 3) +4 (distant def 2) = 41 from range, 37 in melee
RES: 31 +6 (res tactic 3) +4 (distant def 2) = 41 from range, 37 in melee
Null enemy buffs if they're ranged [weapon]
Fury 2 (all stats +2, take 4 hp damage after combat)
Renewal 3 (heal 10 every 2 turns)
Distant Defense 2 (def/res +4 if attacked by ranged unit) [seal]
Noontime special (2 turn cooldown, heal 30% damage)

So Zelgius can counter hit anyone super hard, whereas Eliwood has balanced defenses and though he can't distant counter, he's built so that ranged attacks have trouble hurting him. He also regenerates via his special which also helps keep him healthy and mitigates the fury damage wearing him down.

Typically what I've found is that since LA!Eli is the only one who can't distant counter, all ranged units will attack him if they have the option to. That's why I built him into a distance tank with regeneration abilities, so I can lure in ranged units. I'm tempted to swap Pivot on Eli to Ardent Sacrifice so that I can keep Zelgius HP high for his QR and warp powder.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:37 pm

New Hero Time!

I wasn't particularly inspired until.... Hinoka :shibe

phpBB [video]

Flying bow with a dual-effective weapon and formation and guidance means it's going to be suuuper hard to predict a flier team's movement with her around.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Hinoka was my first 5* unit way way back and she's probably still my best flier after all this time. I'm 100% pumped for the new archer variant I'll drop every orb trying and failing to summon.

Took me a couple plays to figure out that yes, Kana has arms, she's not a double amputee.

Matt Mercer really is everywhere, huh? #HighNoon #BeachLobsters #MacCreadyIsReady #NewNolanNorth This also feels like the third Shigure variant but I might be exaggerating.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Kana seems cool, too, but a flying archer would be a nice add to my collection.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Huh. Weird. For one, Hinoka's voice just seems off. I *still* don't even have her normal version, though. Is this version supposed to be her after Fates when she's queen or something (judging by the thing on her back)? But regardless... we have our first flying archer. Fuck yeah! I'm saving my orbs! And it's effective against armor too? Fuck.

2. So they added Kana, which is something people wanted after Morgan. But why only female Kana when they added both the male and female Morgan?

3. Shigure is great and I love Matt Mercer, but I thought we already had the Performing Arts version of him? (we do). Meh. I don't have that other version, though.

But yeah, gonna try to pull Hinoka for sure.

Edit: just looked an the announcement from within my game and it mentioned a Grand Hero Battle with Kana: Dragon Spawn. Guessing that's the male Kana.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Glad it wasn't just me wondering about Hinoka's voice, but going back to check her lines in FEH it seems the new version sounds about the same, so maybe they recast her after Fates or something. I think she was different in Warriors as well from what I remember of that thing.

I need to figure out how to emulate 3DS stuff properly but that's a project for another time.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:56 pm

I'm not even sure if there is a way to emulate that shit properly due to the touch screen (same raisin why I never tried to emulate the Wii due to the motion control stuff) but a basic used 3DS should be cheap enough now, and there are so many good games that it's 100% worth it.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Most of the voices seem off to me, but that one is particularly off-putting.

I'm sure the emulator could include a mouse icon on screen, and input a click as a tap.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm

from tumblr

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:14 pm

So, playing FeH has made me interested in trying out the new DS FEgs. Now, the only mainline FEg I've played was the one that came out for GBA back in the day, and I hated it. Specifically, I hated the permadeath, the weapon breaking, and the no towns which means you have to shop mid-battle which is super annoying. Now, I've read there's a version that does do away with permadeath and weapon breaking, but no one talks about the shops. So, more experienced people(Flare and Engel?), what's the dealio? Which version should I try, if any? Did they finally add fucking towns like Shining Force did 20+ years ago? Which one lets me touch the girls? (Asking for scientific purposes...)

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:11 pm

So the newer ones are Awakening, Fates, and Echoes (remake of 2 but very modern). All give you the option to turn permadeath off. YES, even Fates- Conquest (I read before I played that it didn't, but that turned out to be wrong. But, that could have been because I played Birthright first and loaded my casual save file? Might need to research that, but really, you should play Birthright first anyway if you do Fates).

As for shops, those are thankfully a thing again. In Awakening they're specific areas on the map, and there's bonus/traveling temp shops too. In Fates, you have a home base that you automatically return to after every battle, and the shops are in your base. Echoes was another world map situation.

As for weapon breaking... I *think* Awakening still had it, but you can grind as much as you want, so I always had enough money for replacements. I honestly don't remember with Fates or Echoes if they turned it off or not. I feel like it's off in at least one of them, if not both. But again, you can also grind in both, so it's not as big of a deal.

Fates is the one that lets you touch the girls if you want. Honestly, you'll get sick of it.

Overall, I'd personally recommend starting with Echoes. Awakening is a good starting point as well, but has the whole "children from the future" thing, so you have to deal with optimal pairings, grinding supports, etc, if you want all the units. Fates is even worse because that's a thing, and it's in 3 parts. Echoes is free of that bullshit. It's a remake of an older game so it's just straight up the units you can recruit, and it's chronologically before the others while actually being the newest in terms of graphics and gameplay. Also, there's the timewheel thing, which is great for fixing mistakes in battle without starting over.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Okay, just checked out the Echoes website. Looks pretty swank. Towns and dungeon crawling? Interesting.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 pm

The dungeon crawling is mostly optional, too. I found it boring, personally, but it's a small part of the game, and you get items at least. There's better ways to grind, which include the random spawns on the world map.

Are there any Echoes characters in Heroes that you have already? I'd imagine you'd like Sonya...

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:04 pm

I have no idea. Lemme see...

Okay, apparently FeH doesn't tell you what game the characters are from, so, Iunno.

Duh, I googled the game, and I do have some of the characters. Clair, Mathilda, Catria, Palla, and Est. They're low rarity, though.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:11 pm

I think I'll either start with Awakening and work my way forward or start with Echoes and work my way backward. (I'm sure copies of Awakening are probably cheaper so that'll likely be the deciding factor.)

re: weapon degradation, I think that went away or became optional in Fates, if I'm remembering the quick looks I watched correctly.

XCOM has taught me to embrace the permadeath madness so I'm okay with that but I'd probably turn it off anyway, at least for a first run. That said I think I've heard FE's pre-Awakening permadeath is more hardcore than XCOM's since you're relying on specifically crafted recruitment conditions and not just spending a little cash to hire more dudes at any time from the base interface.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 pm

HunterF wrote:Okay, apparently FeH doesn't tell you what game the characters are from, so, Iunno.
Check the Hero Merit and/or Catalog of Heroes screens under Misc., all the origin stuff per character will be in their bio blurbs. Tapping on units in various other places will also show that stuff in tooltips.