[Fallout] 4 is a world of flat cola.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Delthazar
¡No le saques! / DRAGONS! EAT THEM RAWWWW (0-31) / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia

Re: [Fallout] 4 is a world of flat cola.

Post#976 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm

:stare :stare :stare :stare :stare

phpBB [video]

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/6/168583 ... lout-4-mod

hurry up hurry up hurry up hurry up I need this hurry up hurry up hurry up hurry up

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#977 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 am

I've heard about that mod, it seems super ambitious like Skywind perhaps too ambitious.

Delthazar
¡No le saques! / DRAGONS! EAT THEM RAWWWW (0-31) / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia

Post#978 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am

Yeah, Skywind is still in progress too, and I feel like I read a similar article about that three or four years ago. I'd be surprised to see either mod complete before, I dunno, 2020, or the next round of mainline Elder Scrolls/Fallout games.

(and that's assuming they don't start to wander into grey legal territory the moment they start porting over voice assets)

But the work they've done so far getting the New Vegas character progression and faction/karma systems working is pretty sweet. I've long been thinking "goddamn I wanna play New Vegas again but it's so fucking old in a lot of very annoying ways that no amount of modding will completely cure" so slapping all the NV stuff on 4's engine is kinda all I want at this point.

Delthazar

Post#979 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:17 pm

Anyone futzed around with alternate start mods? These two seem interesting and are supposedly compatible with each other.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18946/
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25254/

But I can see like hundreds of ways mods like these could break things, if not by bugs than by some lack of finesse. Fiddling with this much dialogue is maybe just asking for trouble unless the mod author just happens to also be a skilled and insightful editor.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#980 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 pm

Oh yeah, you wouldn't want to make Fallout 4 a broken, bug-riddled mess or anything. :pacbean

Generally, if such a mod is *complete*, you have a good chance of having a fairly stable experience. Otherwise, yeah, it's a lot of potholes just waiting for you to fall into. Or at best, weirdly unsatisfying because the changed content will be so concentrated to only some aspects.

Delthazar

Post#981 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 pm

John Layfield wrote:Oh yeah, you wouldn't want to make Fallout 4 a broken, bug-riddled mess or anything. :pacbean

Well, more so than usual, obvs. :pacghost

Mod bugs also have a way of being somehow worse than whatever official bugs shipped and weren't patched. Not that mod authors will ever cop to that. :pacdown

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post#982 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:52 am

I've started playing Fallout 4 again, with mods. Part of me wants to stream my playthrough while talking or something, but then I figured it'd attract the weirdos who don't believe that girls can/should play video games....

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#983 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:31 am

Yeah that's always a risk, especially if you're playing a relatively popular game like Fallout 4. Like if JBL was a lady I feel like his audience wouldn't change much because obscure games can be hard to find in twitch's interface.

Having said that, if you did stream we'd be there and back you up and kick the scrubs.

Delthazar

Post#984 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Some folks have even used voice modulators to help avoid the toxicity, which should never be necessary, but here we are I guess.

Yeah, we'd keel haul those haters. I have heard though that limiting Twitch chat even slightly can prevent some of the douchiest haters from bothering. But I haven't really taken a look at the chat settings yet.

HunterF
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#985 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Oof. Trying out the Fallout 4 free weekend for PC to see how my rig runs it. Since I've been playing BotW all week, I keep wanting to hit the wrong buttons for accept and decline. Stupid Nintendo.

Seems to be running pretty good so far, though.

Delthazar

Post#986 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Mods.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#987 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am

I hope it also replaces their voices with vocaloids or something.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post#988 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 am

Did you import Sid's bedroom or something?

Delthazar

Post#989 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:45 pm

In addition to Skywind and Fallout 4 New Vegas there's also another impossibly ambitious total conversion mod happening for Fallout 3.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... fallout-3/

phpBB [video]

F3's dialogue system and mute protagonist turducken'd inside Fallout 4's camera setup is super weird and maybe a good example of why I kinda need fully voiced player characters now.

I kinda have no desire to ever play F3 again but it's a nice thing to see.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#990 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 pm

Delthazar wrote:F3's dialogue system and mute protagonist turducken'd inside Fallout 4's camera setup is super weird and maybe a good example of why I kinda need fully voiced player characters now.

I'm with you on this, though I still have a soft spot for the silence of Gordon Freeman, how everyone talks to him like he's the smartest guy in the room but he could be a sponge with guns just as easily.

Delthazar

Post#991 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 am

Delthazar wrote:(and that's assuming they don't start to wander into grey legal territory the moment they start porting over voice assets)

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. :pacdown

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/13/17113 ... d-bethesda

That's just the F3 total conversion mod though, so maybe the New Vegas folks will keep going.

Sometimes I wonder if mods like these shutter themselves not just to ward off potential legal action but also maybe 'cause they know something the rest of us don't regarding Bethesda's possible remaster plans or something. An official F3 remaster (or probably closer to a remake if it does what this mod was attempting) would be really cool, but like the mod, I still dunno if I'd wanna play this story again, having already gone through it several times on multiple platforms.

Delthazar

Post#992 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Speaking of Fallout total conversion mods for Paradox grand strategy games, here's one for Hearts of Iron IV.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... -strategy/

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”