The Great Thread of Video Game Soundtracks

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

The Great Thread of Video Game Soundtracks

Post#1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 pm

One of the key differences I've noticed between casual gamers and more devoted gamers is the willingness of devotees to listen to game soundtracks in the car, on their iPod or otherwise not playing the game itself. So what are some of your favorite game soundtracks?

For me, there are a couple of games where I enjoy virtually every track. Guilty Gear XX is one, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is another. Discuss.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Swamp Lord / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Re: Soundtracks

Post#2 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Soundtracks sometimes mean more to me than the game itself! Love 'em.

Resident Evil 5: The action stuff is pretty standards, but then songs like this come on during a hold on zombies:
phpBB [video]

Silent Hill 2: Most of the OST's are worth listening to:
phpBB [video]

Shining Force II
phpBB [video]

Soul Calibur 4:
phpBB [video]

More to come.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#3 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:29 pm

I like a few songs here and there from every soundtrack. For instance, I dislike hip-hop and stuff like that so the vocal tracks from the P3-4 soundtracks don't do it for me (they're fine while actually playing the game, though) but the instrumentals are great. I also like anything from Yuki Kajiura (the soundtracks for Xenosaga II and III were better than the games) and Yasunori Mitsuda did a great job for the first Xenosaga, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Shadow Hearts 1. My itunes has 1505 video game tracks (yeah, I threw them all into a playlist) and I even made a separate playlist for battle themes since those are usually more intense. I guess I'll get into specific tracks once more people use this thread.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#4 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Blutiger_Engel wrote:I also like anything from Yuki Kajiura (the soundtracks for Xenosaga II and III were better than the games)

Agreed, although to be fair, I'm of the opinion that Xenosaga III finally got it all right. Too bad that turned out to be the last game in the series. Here's probably my favourite track from XSIII, and also one the best battle themes I've heard in the last ten years or so. Perfect for that fight against Margulis towards the end.

phpBB [video]

Bier_Engel

Post#5 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:08 pm

I loved this one which was playing on a loop during the scene where the planet is destroyed. It was annoying at the time because it felt like it played forever, yet I was mad when it wasn't actually on the soundtrack.

phpBB [video]

And the final boss theme was awesome:

phpBB [video]

Chizen
Will Post For Food

Post#7 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:43 am

Chrono Trigger, first of all. I think this is the most beautiful track in the game.
phpBB [video]

Motoi's Sakuraba's music in Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile always holds a special place with me. Even if it's just the damn random battle music.
phpBB [video]

Xenosaga has some great music.
phpBB [video]

I love Yuki Kajiura. Especially the stuff that has vocals, but the words don't actually mean anything.
phpBB [video]

Which reminds me of Suikoden III's intro.
phpBB [video]

I could go on, but I don't want to make my post TOO huge.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#8 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:44 am

Hmm, if that battle theme is indeed from Episode 1 (I can't remember that far back any more!) then it might be by Mitsuda and not Kajiura. I can't remember if he did the entire OST or if it was a split. These days splits seem to be way more common, but I guess the first Xenosaga was kinda billed with Mitsuda as a big name, so... who knows.

Also love the Suiko III intro. Probably the best of them, I think. Aside from the music, it's a shame there was never an actual anime series or anything done in that style 'cause it's really, really good looking.

Chizen
Will Post For Food

Post#9 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:37 am

Deltron wrote:Hmm, if that battle theme is indeed from Episode 1 (I can't remember that far back any more!) then it might be by Mitsuda and not Kajiura. I can't remember if he did the entire OST or if it was a split. These days splits seem to be way more common, but I guess the first Xenosaga was kinda billed with Mitsuda as a big name, so... who knows.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mitsuda did that. I was looking him up on Wikipedia just now, and I found out about this album he composed called Kirite. This is beautiful.
phpBB [video]

LA ROUX SUPERFAN
give me a new title plz

Post#10 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 am

Deltron wrote:Also love the Suiko III intro. Probably the best of them, I think. Aside from the music, it's a shame there was never an actual anime series or anything done in that style 'cause it's really, really good looking.

I forgot what this sounded like so I just listened to it. I need to play that one again, it was actually a really great game and I feel like I enjoyed it more than the first but I only went through it once. looking through the opening there were a lot of solid characters I had forgotten about. but I still think the intro to the second one is the tops.

Bier_Engel

Post#11 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 am

Chizen wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure Mitsuda did that.
He did, and the music was great for Episode I except for some raisin the game had no BGM half of the time, which bothered me even more than the long-ass cut scenes or the fact that the game was too short.

Suikoden III intro is win.

True Perception wrote:I currently have that CD and the discs from Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden Tierkreis on my iPod.
I wish I could find the TK soundtrack; I can't find it anywhere (for free XD); I liked the music more than that game.

Speaking of Suikoden...

phpBB [video]

HunterF
AKA "Bulma" / They call this the logical results. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#12 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Here's a venerated classic. I seriously find myself humming this one at times.

phpBB [video]

Another classic.

phpBB [video]

Suck it, Spock.

phpBB [video]

DHerder222

Post#13 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Oh man, don't get me started on Chrono Trigger. It's mind-boggling how much emotion Uematsu was able to fit into 16-bits.

Delthazar

Post#14 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Where's my Skies sequel, goddamnit.

Since Uematsu has been invoked, was anyone else really impressed with the Lost Odyssey soundtrack? I think it's some of his best work in years.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

DHerder222

Post#15 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:21 pm

I never played Lost Odyssey, actually. It was during that point where I was starting to get really tired of that art style in JRPGs - Everyone is overly-accessorized and the male characters usually look like females.

Did I miss out?

Delthazar

Post#16 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:57 pm

In this case I would say yes. Oddly enough, Lost Odyssey was probably a better Final Fantasy than most modern Final Fantasy games. Maybe it had something to do with being free of Square's influence, I'm not really sure, but it's totally worth checking out. Especially the Thousand Years of Dreams stuff which is fantastically written.

Bier_Engel

Post#17 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:34 pm

I've never played Lost Odyssey, either, but I'm drunk and I feel like posting new stuff.

phpBB [video]

And now for something completely different (than above):

phpBB [video]

HunterF
AKA "Bulma" / They call this the logical results. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#18 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Lost Odyssey sucked.

Chizen
Will Post For Food

Post#19 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:51 am

The new Pokemon game has some awesome music, I think.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

cybersix
I am most certainly in the mood for something salty today.

Post#21 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Blutiger_Engel wrote:Yasunori Mitsuda did a great job for the first Xenosaga, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Shadow Hearts 1.

Actually, Yoshitaka Hirota composed most of the soundtrack for Shadow Hearts. It was a damn fine soundtrack, though.

phpBB [video]

Never played Actraiser but its orchestral soundtrack is pretty sweet.

phpBB [video]

Shoji Meguro can make a sweet battle theme.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Delthazar

Post#23 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:06 am

Meguro invoked! A lot of my favourites of his are still from Nocturne, at least on the subject of battle themes.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Bier_Engel

Post#24 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:09 am

cybersix wrote:Actually, Yoshitaka Hirota composed most of the soundtrack for Shadow Hearts. It was a damn fine soundtrack, though.
Really? I have him as the guy who composed the SH2 soundtrack on my itunes (and I can tell the difference since I didn't like the second soundtrack nearly as much) so do I have them tagged wrong?

Aaaand while I'm here, any Persona fan knows how awesome this song is:

phpBB [video]

Chizen
Will Post For Food

Post#25 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:46 pm

phpBB [video]

:awesome

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”