[Elder Scrolls] I saw a mudcrab the other day.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
ard in a manger
Anhedonic Masochist / I only bang butts.

[Elder Scrolls] I saw a mudcrab the other day.

Post#1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:54 am

Elder Scrolls 5 aka Oblivion 2 is in the works, apparently. Who'd have guessed?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... -the-works

Gamebryo. :suicide
Last edited by ard in a manger on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Re: BY AZURA Elder Scrolls 5

Post#2 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 am

Oh for fuck's sake Bethesda. You have two major franchises that have basically done nothing but print money for your coffers for the better part of a decade. You can afford to develop a new goddamned engine for TES V.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#3 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:45 pm

Yikes, they're just modding the jank-engine again? And talk of dragon lords and the blades makes it sound like Ob5 is going to be in Cyrodill again... I was hoping we may get to see the "I hear Daedra worship is becoming increasingly prevalent in the Summerset Isle", that or the Black Marsh seemed to be the most hinted at in Oblivion itself, but perhaps they're keeping it mainstream with a human dominated area of that world...

I'm glad they're doing another Elder Scrolls at least. Reckon it'll have VATS? :pac

ard in a manger

Post#4 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:03 am

Falcon Critical wrote:Yikes, they're just modding the jank-engine again? And talk of dragon lords and the blades makes it sound like Ob5 is going to be in Cyrodill again... I was hoping we may get to see the "I hear Daedra worship is becoming increasingly prevalent in the Summerset Isle", that or the Black Marsh seemed to be the most hinted at in Oblivion itself, but perhaps they're keeping it mainstream with a human dominated area of that world...

I'm glad they're doing another Elder Scrolls at least. Reckon it'll have VATS? :pac

No, but it'll have more people spotting mudcrabs and bandit archers that want you to jump on their sword while you still can!!

Cyrodill seems likely. So not only do they reuse the engine again, they'll just copy/paste the ES4 world map? :pac

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#5 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 pm

Bah! I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!

Though, that reminds me of a classic mod moment in F3... I had two particular mods - buildable robots and faction changing outfits. I had a protectron rolling as a companion and was dressed as a raider. Twas kind of amusing since even when passive the raiders swear at you and and make threats... anyway it went like this:
Raider (to bot): Get the fuck out of my face!
Protectron: Move. Along. Please.

Anyway, TES5. They said the engine is going to be more detailed and complex than Fallout, so there'll be legions of loose stones and discarded tankards everywhere? Maybe a giant radscorpion or two?

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#6 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:01 pm

After S-Ranking Oblivion in one run I think I've had more than enough of Cyrodiil. Feh. My interest in this thing is plummeting.

ard in a manger

Post#7 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:51 am

Falcon Critical wrote:Bah! I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!

Yet you move like a pregnant cow.

Discarded tankards or more freezes? I'll take a wait and see approach for this one at any rate.

Oblivion's achievements were messed up. Mostly because developers didn't know what the hell to do with them, so they made stupid waypoint achievements. S-ranking Oblivion isn't an impressive feat by a long shot. :P

Delthazar

Post#8 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Yeah. No doubt a lot of games from that point in the 360's lifespan had the same problem. Still, that's a shitton of time to put into one game with one environmental style. So if Cyrodiil is the setting for TES V, it needs to be a lot more diverse this time.

ard in a manger

Post#9 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:06 am

Think of the glitchy possibilities and diversities! :awesome

Also, character import would be awesome.

And a huge overhaul of the levelling system. Daedric armoured bandits are not cool.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Swamp Lord / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post#10 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:13 am

So will my Autosave file be corrupted again after I invest like 20 or so hours in the Mage Guild quests? You know, the kind of of shit that makes you shelf a game for a year or two?

Loved Oblivion, but changes are in order.

ard in a manger

Post#11 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:14 am

There's always that risk with Bethesda games.

Delthazar

Post#12 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:21 am

Christ, even games that were only published by Bethesda and developed elsewhere with completely different tech are the only games which have ever frozen my 360. It's like their name itself is a curse.

Yeah, changes are needed all over the place. The mission structure needs a massive overhaul, for one. It should not be possible to complete absolutely every last sidequest chain with a single character. "I lead the mage guild! Oh, now I'm a master thief! And these other plaques on my wall are from the warrior's guild, and that time I was the arena champion..."

Part of this is also tied to the character development system which is also pretty fundamentally flawed. There needs to be avenues for specialization here, rather than simply being able to cast a low level spell or swing an axe or jump up and down to boost whatever stats you want. Then those avenues need to cut off some of those quest chains, or another way needs to be found to do that.

ard in a manger

Post#13 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:29 am

Deltron wrote:It should not be possible to complete absolutely every last sidequest chain with a single character. "I lead the mage guild! Oh, now I'm a master thief! And these other plaques on my wall are from the warrior's guild, and that time I was the arena champion..."

As far as the guilds apply, i think that should only apply to Mage and Fighter's Guilds, cause they are class specific. the DB and Thieves Guild aren't. It is silly to be able to become archmage, without ever having to cast a spell (or a bare minimum at least). And it's kind of cool to lead a double-life as a thiev and a fighter and keep it up for as long as possible. Minimum stat requirements could help here.

For the rest, agreed. Who else jumped all the way from Cheydinhal to Anvil? :adance:

Delthazar

Post#14 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:55 am

I think I found a low overhang somewhere to reduce the height of my jumps and just tapped the button all the way to 100%. Sheesh. My own fault for gaming the system I suppose but they really shouldn't make it that easy.

ard in a manger

Post#15 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:12 am

I just stopped levelling after a while. Yet kept spamming self-targetting spells and the jump button, because it had become a habit. :suicide

Maybe they should implement the Fallout levelling system, or something similar.

And no or at least a huge level cap.

Delthazar

Post#16 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:14 am

I wonder if implementing a new system would upset the TES purists. There are purists, right? Heh. Even if there are, most probably mod the hell out of the games anyway.

ard in a manger

Post#17 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:16 am

Indeed, if they exist, they are very few, cause i believe almost every PC player installed OOO somewhere along the line. Most Oblivion players don't even play the game, but just like to dress up with their characters and their companions.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#18 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:44 am

Haha, so true. I had a bunch of characters but they all did different stuff. Obviously finished the game with one, another just ran around pre-Kvatch so there weren't any portals, another got to the point where portals opened and then went around destroying them all without addressing the actual story... and yeh modded to hell. Just like Fallout :D

ard in a manger

Post#19 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:09 am

Have a debut trailer!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-1 ... lls/708368

No Cyrodill, but Skyrim!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#20 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 pm

I saw somewhere that they were using a new engine, but whether that is just code for Rehashing the old one again I dunno

ard in a manger

Post#21 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:14 am

A new engine was confirmed by a dev on his Twitter. Is it really finally time to say goodbye to Gamebryo? Nostalgia, anyone?

Delthazar

Post#22 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

I think it was time to say goodbye to Gamebryo years ago. So between that bit of good news and the teaser trailer I'm noticeably less ambivalent now. I already want the soundtrack, at least. So that's something.

HunterF
AKA "Bulma" / They call this the logical results. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#23 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 pm

I'll let you know how excited I am when we see some actual gameplay.

Oblivion sucked.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#24 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 pm

In its defense, Oblivion's combat was an improvement on... Daggerfall at least :P

So how bout VATS in Oblivion2 ? (which is what the story sounds like)

ard in a manger

Post#25 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:17 am

I'd like something unique for TES. VATS is Fallout, i'd rather they not become a clone of each other any more.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”