[Fighters] The soul still burns!

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Murderous Morbid
Captain of the USS Rough Service

[Fighters] The soul still burns!

Post#1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:01 am

Shit yeah. I'm making this here SF topic because there isn't one here, 'nuff said.

How many of you lot have Super Street Fighter 4? This is the newest one, and still has a pretty vast fanbase for online play.

The game is the classic Super SF2 line-up completely, plus Adon, Cody, Dan, Gen, Guy, Rose and Sakura from the SF Alpha series, as well as Dudley, Ibuki and Makoto from 3rd Strike, and then a handful of new folks in Abel, C Viper, El Fuerte, Gouken, Hakan, Juri, Rufus and Seth. Oh and Akuma is in here too, as if people aren't tired of him by now.

Recently, the "kung fu twins", Yun and Yang from Third Strike have emerged as DLC due to overwhelming rabid fan request, thereby making any strategy guide out there at the moment obsolete. Any other character "announced" for DLC right now is likely a hoax unless the person posting the info is a credible source, stay away from youtube.

Best character: debatable, in the first iteration of SF4 it was Sagat. Most people will tell you its Ryu though, him or Zangief, probably.
Worst character: probably Hakan
Most ridiculous character: Rufus
Most unnecessary character: El Fuerte
Craziest tier-list turnaround: T. Hawk. Really. I am totally serious. He is -awesome- here.
Worst Ultra: Rose's second one
Old Joke: Dan, he's gettin' better all the time.

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Re: Street Fighter (and all related nosense)

Post#2 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:46 am

I'm not very good at Street Fighter games yet I feel compelled to play them anyway, SSFIV included. I'm probably best with Juri and Sakura, or was until I got distracted by other games, but I also enjoyed Makoto. Ibuki is a little too fast for me to handle sometimes but she was awesome in SFIII so I'll try to learn her eventually.

Didn't know that Yun and Yang got added as DLC. Gonna be hard to resist spending the points for those two, goddamnit. If only we had some Rival Schools characters in here too...!

Murderous Morbid

Post#3 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 am

Don't worry Del! Yun & Yang have barely been out for a week, I found out about them on Saturday. Its probably already old news on gamefaqs but I don't go on the boards there much anymore, everyone's either 1. stupid 2. fanboys 3. a dick, or 4. a stupid fanboy dick.

you may be disappointed to learn that something bad happened to Makoto in the transition from 3S to SF4 world. She suddenly became really bad, I dunno if its just the system or whatnot, but you're playing an uphill battle practically all the time with her now... she used to be the set-up monster, but most folks can run circles around her... she's particularly bad vs. grapplers since she needs to get close in order to do damage. Some of her old tricks still work, but some people even consider her a joke now. Conversely Dudley and Ibuki translated very well, although most Ibuki's you will see online don't use her first ultra.

Oh and... um... Hakan. There's a piece of work. People consider him to be the worst character in the game mostly because he's completely devoid of an overhead attack, giving him little mixup beyond throw-games. You really gotta sell the surprise value of his moves to win, and since people are getting over his newness by now, its getting harder. True, his Oil Slide beats out a Hadoken, but good people don't just sit there throwing Hadokens at you. There's just something that makes me feel dirty about having to "oil up" every few seconds... and don't get me started on his second ultra... the Turkish Teabag Logjammer. I will pick and beat people with Hakan solely for what I call the "Dan effect", of "I beat you with this POS character!"

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Swamp Lord / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post#4 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:39 pm

I played Super Street Fighter IV last night before going to the bar. There was a little rust, but I was able to beat Seth (IN ONE TRY!) with Ryu. I'm certainly not the best at the series, but I can reveal some skill if necessary.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#5 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm

What would you guys say is a fair price to pay if a person already has Regular Street Fighter IV? I plan to get SSFIV at some point, but I haven't seen it under $40 and that seems a bit high.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Swamp Lord / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post#6 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:33 pm

D, I got my copy last week on Amazon for $18. That isn't just fair; it is extraordinary.

smcgee
Moving In

Post#7 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm still debating getting it. I'll probably do it at some point. I do love my some Street Fighter though.

Murderous Morbid

Post#8 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Whenever I see Juri players, I cringe. Not because I'm gonna get my ass whooped (not usually, anyway), but because Juri players tend to use the same three moves over and over. Those three moves are: Pinwheel Kick, wake-up Pinwheel Kick, and the EX Pinwheel Kick.

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#9 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:30 pm

So is she the new Ken in online play, basically?

DHerder222

Post#10 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Picked up SSIV with my Christmas money today. Very good game overall, though I can't believe how much Capcom wants for all the bonus costumes. I'll probably pick them up gradually.

Also, I find it very amusing that there might be yet another edition of Street Fighter IV. They'd better be careful they don't nickel-and-dime all their fans away...

Murderous Morbid

Post#13 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:54 am

Favorite Ultraz anybody?

I don't feel like listing em all, that just seems kinda overdoing it... but here's a select few.

Ibuki's second one. Holy motherfucking shit! The first time I saw this I thought it was over like halfway through. This is the pinnacle of awesome. She launches em with a quick combo into her Wind Slicer, then throws like FIVE HUNDRED knives at em from the air, and finally shouts SAYONARA so loud my neighbors can hear it on mute as she does a spinning neckbreaker slam. Go Ibuki.

'Gief's second one. "I am the protector of Russia's skies..." or something. This is a special airthrow so props due in advance to anyone who lands this against an opponent that isn't Vega (he's always jumpin around). I don't even know how to describe this move, it's fuckin' nuts. Just don't do this near time-over because the animation is seriously half a minute long it seems. All worth it for that crunch into the pavement, I guess.

Adon's first one. This is kind of a bastard to land since the foe has to be standing for the whole bit to come out. But how do yaz like that knee at the end? Time practically stops when you land this one completely... and you think there's no way... no effin' way that even Sagat or Zangief is getting up after that shit.

Seth's second one. I know this one looks fucking redonk but the bridge stretch he does to execute it is fuckin stylish cuz he doesn't even budge the rest of his body before a FUCKING HURRICANE shoots out of his stomach yingyang wtfmachine shit.

Rufus' first one. Yeah, I loved this one the first time I saw it. Rufus the physical impossibility goes into a hilarious flurry of attacks before doing a crazy powerful volleyball serve catapulting your foe into the stratosphere. It's simple, but you can't deny the feeling that comes with landing it in a pinch, and yes it is that kind of ultra that just seems to land time after time cuz it shreds anything non fireball.

Dan's oh fuck it both of em. Mmmm hmmm. Lesseee... stupidly invincible (for Dan anyway) rushing frenzy with hilarious miss animation... or ridiculous oversized fireball that blows Dan away more than his opponent? At least Ultra 2 doesn't damage you... it sure looks like the kind of move that would... actually, Dan hitting the ground face-first in the other one does too... hm...

Murderous Morbid

Post#15 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:33 am

When you really get down to it, the Kikoken is actually Chun's preferred ultra, since you can do it in a pinch (i.e. no charge motion). It's quick to execute and even though it's not a Shinku Hadoken, it covered a wide arc in front of her so if anyone's tryin to poke you this'll get em. Chun other ultra (the kicking one) does a shitload of damage but you gotta plan about 5-6seconds in advance to land it correctly against someone good due to its command.

On that note, I beat someone with fucking Guile's first ultra yesterday and he called me a scrub. I'd just like to point out that I don't believe a scrub can fuckin pull off that move. Nevermind the Flash Kick into the super that I pulled off earlier in the match (showing off)... people online are bitches... and most of them play Ryu, Ken or Akuma.

Believe it or not my friend told me that Honda is the highest rated character right now... I was like "what are you smoking and where I get some to sell later?" I dunno, I don't see it... but I guess I overlook him alot... maybe he's better'n I thought.

Murderous Morbid

Post#16 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Just wanted to clear up a few things. Yun and Yang were released on SSF4: Arcade Edition, in a attempt to get players back into whatever arcades still exist around here. I know of one in Moorpark/Simi which is about a half hour away from me, but I'm sure it's probably much worse for some of you guys. Not talkin about a pizza place with a Tekken Tag machine, I'm talking about a real fullblown arcade-and-nothing-but place. The kind where Third Strike tournaments are still held. In addition to the kung fu twins, there's two more characters who are fightable through still-unknown-or-unreleased secret means. They are Evil Ryu and ???? Akuma. Believed to be Shin Akuma (the souped-up one from Alpha), but I can't find a definite source or video. Presumably they will have different or altered moves, Evil Ryu had Akuma's teleport and Demon, hopefully it will be more than that, I hope ???? Akuma loses the fucking retarded second ultra he has. Us console owners will have to wait apparently six months to download "Arcade Edition" into our pre existing SSF4 data. Won't do me much good, but I'll check it out next year or so probably.

I also dug up a tier list in case anyone was curious.

Top: Honda, Bison, Guile, Chun
High: Balrog, Cammy, Ryu, Abel, Dhalsim, Rufus, Sagat, Seth
Mid: Akuma, Fei Long, Ken, Rose, Blanka, Zangief, Dee Jay, Adon
Low: Ibuki, Vega, Cody, C.Viper, Fuerte, Dudley, Gouken, Juri, Sakura
Bottom: Guy, Gen, Dan, Hakan, Makoto
Unplaced: T.Hawk (either he's really good or really bad vs. some people, data pending)

Goes without saying that Arcade Edition will shake this up pretty good, so this is SSF4 only. Some characters, like Hakan, Makoto, Gouken and Dudley have already been stated to have recieved move-property improvements.

Murderous Morbid

Post#17 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:33 pm

The "preferred Ultra" list I found, looks something like:

Honda: doesn't matter
Bison: II, no charge command and its extremely good vs. fireballers
Guile: II, less awkward input despite less damage than I
Chun: II mainly, I vs. fireballers, II is not a charge command, giving it use in a pinch
Balrog: I unless you're extremely cocky / confident you can land II well
Cammy: I, don't even use II seriously if you can land it
Ryu: I, all around better options with this
Abel: II mainly, I vs. fireballers, preference in that situation
Dhalsim: I
Rufus: I mainly, II vs. fireballers
Sagat: doesn't matter
Seth: II mainly, I vs. fireballers
Akuma: I
Fei Long: I, don't even use II seriously if you can land it
Ken: doesn't matter
Rose: use I unless you are extremely good with II
Blanka: I mainly, II vs. fireballers
Dee Jay: doesn't matter
Adon: II mainly, I has use vs. fireballers but II is still better comboable
Ibuki: II
Vega: both are pretty horrible, II is suggested
Cody: doesn't matter
Viper: I, because II is done in the air and thus hard to combo and easier to see / miss
Fuerte: II mainly, although I has use vs. fireballers, up to preference
Dudley: I! mainly, I vs. fireballers typically, up to preference
Gouken: II
Juri: use II unless extremely proficient with I, you should know if you are this good
Sakura: II all the way, since it's more useful & there are 2 versions of it
Guy: I
Gen: use II for the Crane stance ultra only
Dan: II is preferred for comboability, despite the stupid close invincibility at the start of I
Hakan: II for "scare" value, mostly. Otherwise it doesn't matter.
Makoto: I
Hawk: I

Anyone agree / disagree?
Last edited by Murderous Morbid on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smcgee
Moving In

Post#18 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 am

I really need to get on this game, I feel lost and I've played pretty much every title of this series.

I will add that we oddly do have a standalone arcade in the mall, granted it's not impressive and I walk through there to think, "How is this still open?" They have shitty second hand games. They have a cheap DDR ripoff I've never heard of and can't even recall now.

Deltron

Post#19 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 am

I'd have a better idea of my favourite ultras if I could pull them off reliably. Between my lack of practice and the Xbox 360 dpad, I can barely manage to execute specials.

Deltron

Post#21 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Should be out already (November 9th 2010, so says Mr. Stewart) but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere since then. Unless they've totally replaced the normal 360 pad, in which case I wouldn't know since I never shop for extra pads anyway.

At that price I wonder if it's actually cheaper just to go out and buy a fucking fighting pad.

Murderous Morbid

Post#22 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

If I could trade any character out of SSF4 for anyone else, I'd drop T.Hawk out of this game faster than you can say "shallow grave" and port in Hugo or Elena from Third Strike. Do I want to turn the Awesome up to 11, or do I wanna look at that booty in HD? I dunno, kinda both actually... drop Dee Jay too so I can have both. Fuck "Black Guile".

Kinda wanna see Oro in another game if not just to see what his power is like with both arms.

Also...

phpBB [video]

Murderous Morbid

Post#23 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:49 pm

It has recently occured to me that I might be the only one on here who's "ridiculously" into Street Fighter... oh well. Hell yes I still Third Strike it up with my friends, in addition to SSF4!

Was right about the tierlists for Arcade Edition... apparently Fei Long is tip top now.

Deltron

Post#24 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Gonna get your MVC3 on? Maybe let it take you for a ride?

DHerder222

Post#25 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Seeing that I'm half Turkish, I could never fully decide if I should be happy we got a Turkish character in a fighting game or if I should still be very, very offended.

And I'm passing on Marvel VS. Capcom 3, at least for now. No Mega Man? No Venom? No Demitri? Not for me.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”