Pokemon, bitches!

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Pokemon, bitches!

Post#1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:02 am

You know, I actually searched and there wasn't a Pokemon thread. Here's one now. You can thank me later.

So, I got the Black version and I'm liking it quite a bit. I don't like how some of the improvements from HG/SS were removed (such as having the menu always on the bottom screen... I don't have wifi so the new wifi thing being there is useless to me) and the Pokemon following behind you. Also, I read somewhere that there was no game corner. Psh.

Anywho, I can't be the only one who bought this already. Discuss.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Re: Pokemon, bitches!

Post#2 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm

I've gotten a game in every Pokemon generation so far, but man the current entries aren't impressing me. I'm starting to wonder how many more Pokemon they can conceivably have.

Bier_Engel

Post#3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Yeah, the Pokemon themselves have been getting less and less creative overtime. How many birds/squirrels/rats/cats/dogs with nearly the exact same abilities and design do we need? As for the games themselves, though, I do like the battle/setting/graphic/interface improvements.

ard in a manger
Anhedonic Masochist / I only bang butts.

Post#4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Pokemon's neck should've been gently choked until it died many years ago. Post second gen is all crap.

On the bright side:

phpBB [video]
:dancedance

smcgee
Moving In

Post#5 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

Pokemon is one of those franchises I'll be loyal to through the end! I pre-ordered mine on Amazon, but I haven't gotten it yet! I actually sent my DS in for the trade-in program I posted about the other day, but they didn't take it (despite me having all original packaging and components what the hell?) so that's on its way back, both should be back to me by the end of the week.

I'm like wicked excited about Pokemon Black though. Like no one's business!

Bier_Engel

Post#6 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 am

Hmm, sucks that they wouldn't take your DS; that sounds like a load of crap.

As for the game, I almost wish I got the White version now because I just found out about the version exclusive areas: Black City and White Forest. Black City just has trainers, while White Forest has a bunch of old Pokemon (mostly ones that I really like) so the White version actually has way more "version exclusive" Pokemon, if you want to call them that. I suppose I can borrow my friend's DS again and just drag those over from my HG, but that's a pain.

smcgee
Moving In

Post#7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah I'm totally not pleased about that. They didn't even state how it was incomplete which is the worst. I got the game today, but still no DS back, it was supposed to be (according to the tracking info) be delivered today, but nope.

That's pretty lame, now I wish I had the White one! I need to find someone with a DS that I can borrow to move pokemon over.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#8 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 am

One thing I do like about Pokemon is that since it's still mostly portable, it's one of the few franchises where you're still able to use a cheating device. It comes in handy every once in a while. :pac

Murderous Morbid
Captain of the USS Rough Service

Post#10 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 pm

I'll admit I was into it in the beginning, probably even before it got all mainstream and saturated everywhere. I remember tellin' people, "oh this? Yeah it's a pretty cool game, like legalized dogfighting." Keep in mind, this was way back in 98, and I was still in high school. I would've felt a little bit dorky about it, but like a few months later suddenly everyone was playing it.

Yeah, fuck, I "got 'em all"... the first time around anyway. I even had a friend bootleg a couple Mews for me. I can defend the bootlegging by saying Nintendo can go fuck right off with its "Events Only" BS, how in the fuck do they expect regular kids to be able to get to these things? How can you "catch 'em all" when it's fuckin impossible? I understand that now Pokemon has increased it's tired old formula to include something like 600 of these little fuckers now. Screw that! I ain't got that kinda time now, not with ANYTHING else I could be playing. I caught 'em all when there was 150 (+1) of these bastards... y'all shoulda jumped on the bandwagon in the beginning. I "tried" the second line, the Silver/Gold ones (less people I know got these at the time) and never even finished it, I just got bored with all of this "you gotta catch 'em all, but oh wait you can't, fuck off kid, no refund" bullshit... yeah they pull that same shit with each new line of these games without any other way to obtain each guy. There's probably a Pokemon only available now to people who've personally given a handjob to the game's director now.

btw how gay was the reward for it? A fucking certificate that you couldn't even take anywhere. You had to talk to some old tosser and he'd "show" it to you. Like, that's not even a pat on the back. A damn hard feat, considering how hard it was to find a single friend who had the opposite game as you, let alone several friends who were willing to give you stuff.

Bier_Engel

Post#11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:15 am

I liked it before it was "mainstream" (gah, I feel like a hipster, kill me!) too, thanks to having a Nintendo Power subscription when I was 10. It was weird how everyone loved it in 5th grade and I was cool for showing it to a lot of people, but then in 6th grade when I went to middle school, it was suddenly uncool and a source of constant ridicule for me. I had to pretend I didn't like it in a while. Then, in high school, Ruby and Sapphire came out and suddenly it was okay to like it again. I didn't this generation, though, since I didn't have a Game Boy Advance. Roms ftw. I ended up waiting a super long time to get Platinum too, since I got a DS lite years later and tried to resist for a while. For me it's not about catching them all (which is nearly impossible now, and like you said, there is no real reward. Plus, most of these fuckers just suck). I just like exploring the new areas, finding items, chugging along... I dunno, it's addictive.

smcgee
Moving In

Post#12 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:54 pm

I got my DS back so I spent a lot of Friday while drinking playing Pokemon much to my company's dismay. I also took my ukulele around and serenaded people at bars, restaurants and random other places, they don't like that.

I spent most of Saturday as well as Saturday night (well until 4 AM) playing it while hanging out with people too. I did find out my DSi XL gets amazing battery life though!

I'm with you on the pokemon not following, it's purely aesthetics, but yeah, I also loved having the map, I like having a sense of where things are in relation to where I've been and such. I also miss the shortcut keys for key items instead of that "hot key "Y" for whichever of these things you want, then choose from a list". The scale of the game seems pretty epic, I've only beaten my 3rd Gym Leader though.

Bier_Engel

Post#13 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:43 pm

I beat the Elite Four (and champion) a few hours ago and got the national dex. Yay. My map still had 4-5 cities on it before beating the game so I look forward to all the end-game crap.

smcgee
Moving In

Post#14 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm

I was wondering if there would be an opening of the map after beating the first 8 gyms like Gold and Silver. Yet from what I've read there's nothing like that, just more of the same.

Bier_Engel

Post#15 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:09 am

It's the same map, but notice how Victory Road is in the top middle? Everything to the right of that is inaccessible until you beat the Elite Four, and that's quite a bit of crap (not to mention the inaccessible places in the map prior). Plus, I haven't even fiddled with the clock to change the seasons yet, and there is new stuff that opens in winter particularly).

smcgee
Moving In

Post#16 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Oh that's neat. Well I look forward to that!

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#17 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I would marry Bluti for this thread title if her vagina wasn't crawling with monsters and VCR-to-Vagina diseases.

Anyway, anyone who has played far enough, tell me if any of the following (and their evolutions) are any way decent for the mid/late game or are just usual starting fodder.

Purrloin
Blitzle
Pidove
Munna
Lillipup
Woobat
Drilbur
Panpour
Patrat
Roggenrola
Tympole
Timburr

No spoilers, plzkthx

Bier_Engel

Post#18 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:06 pm

John Layfield wrote:I would marry Bluti for this thread title if her vagina wasn't crawling with monsters and VCR-to-Vagina diseases.
I laughed out loud and my mom is confused. Btw, I never actually fucked that guy. My vagina is monster/disease free.

As for the Pokemans:
Purrloin: sucks
Blitzle: Good, but I like Emolga better for the type combo
Pidove: Decent, still using it (mainly for Fly)
Munna: Okay, but slow. I never made it evolve and stopped using it
Lillipup: Stopped using it at a low level but heard it got good
Woobat: Never used
Drilbur: Never used
Panpour: Never used. I use Pansage (and it's evolved form) which is okay, though.
Patrat: Stopping using early; dunno
Roggenrola: Never used
Tympole: Good. I still use it and the type combo is nice once it evolves
Timburr: Never used

smcgee
Moving In

Post#19 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:26 pm

Purrloin - Stopped using them, I just never got into those cat pokemonzz
Blitzle - I liked this one, but same with Bluti, Emolga is better, plus a hell of a lot cuter (yeah I'm one of those people).
Pidove - I don't really like bird pokemon, so it just sits in the box.
Munna - I really like psychic pokemon, so I kept it around, I'm sure I'll get rid if once I find something better.
Lillipup - I kept it around, used it occasionally but it's mostly retired.
Woobat - use Woobat quite a bit actually, I think it'll be my main psychic pokemon.
Drilbur - I just caught one, not really using it much so no decision yet.
Panpour - I don't use it since I started with oshawott
Patrat - I used it in the start, but yeah, it's basically just taking up space.
Roggenrola - Haven't used.
Tympole - Don't use.
Timburr - It's decent for early game, still in the middle (I think?) so longevity is still deciding.

Holmes
Steers and Queers

Post#20 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 am

White version, represent.

My team is Joltik, Vanillite, Cofagrigus, Excadrill, Archen and Scraggy. Archen and Joltik will be uber when they evolve and I get them good moves (although Archen's Acrobatics kills everything in its path). I like Vanillite because I have a good nature for it, Ice types are great (unless you run into their weakness), and it just looks cute. Excadrill is self-explanitory and Cofagrigus has monster defense stats. :)

Bier_Engel

Post#21 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:30 am

I found a shiny Vanilite but accidentally killed it :( It made me sad. As for your team, I've actually never used any of the Pokemon on it (and I don't even know what Cofagrigus, Joltik and Archen are). I really skimped on my research this generation. It's annoying when it asks me to switch Pokemon during a match and I don't know what the thing being sent out is, and I'm always greeted with the wrong type. Oh well, I've cleared the map, finally. Now I have to train for the elite four again since their levels rose to mid-70s and I'm in my lower 60s (was still 50s when I found out the hard way about the levels rising!)

smcgee
Moving In

Post#22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:03 pm

It's a Joltik nest that's covering the one cave (wow I'm bad at remember names of places in that game).

As far as Pokemon coming into battle, I nerdily have a Pokedex App on my phone so I just pull that out and look them up real quick.

Vanillite is sort of a creepy looking Pokemon. Food with faces weirds me out.

Bier_Engel

Post#23 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Hmm, I've never seen a Joltik in that cave, though.

Holmes
Steers and Queers

Post#24 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 pm

They're all over the place in Chargestone Cave. And if you get one with Compound Eyes, and teach it Thunder, it'll have a 90% accuracy rate. With its good special attack and great speed, it will kill you.

Bier_Engel

Post#25 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 pm

I have some terrible luck then. I'll have to go back in there. Found a Tynamo once and accidentally killed it (seems to be my issue) and haven't seen another one. Upon research, it has a 2-5% appearance rate. Damn it.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”