[Civilization] MISTAH PRIME MINISTAH!

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

[Civilization] MISTAH PRIME MINISTAH!

Post#1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:58 am

I could've sworn we had a Civ thread already... :¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess I'll start this up (again?) because 1) I've been playing a lot of Civ V lately with various DLC and 2) the Thors & Kings expansion is out soon. Religion! Spies! 9 new civs! Steampunk scenarios? And other stuff!

Also, this guy has been playing a single game of Civ II for ten years.

Anyway. I have yet to win a game on Prince. :ohdear

ard in a manger
Anhedonic Masochist / I only bang butts.

Re: [Civilization] Leonard Nimoy should narrate everything.

Post#2 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:56 am

Civ 4 is still installed on this PC... Personal record of longest software installation kept around ever (about five years or so?).

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#3 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 am

I haven't played Civ, but if one game has been going for 10 years doesn't that mean he's pretty bad at finishing the other nations off? Or is he intentionally keeping the balance to see how far he can go?

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#4 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Thors and Kings is pretty good and has a few gameplay tweaks besides the religion and espionage things going on. I don't think you'll find anything to like if you fundamentally detested the core of Civ V, though.

Some of the new civs are neat, some are lame. "Celtia" is like the Grassland at Suikox. Not a nation, shouldn't be in it. Ethiopia gets Haile Selassie instead of someone good, like Menelik II and why the hell would you give Carthage Dido as a ruler? Surely you could use someone who actually existed instead. The Netherlands get Watergeuzen as a unique unit, which is what happens when you give the cool ships to the English, I guess.

ard in a manger

Post#5 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 pm

John Layfield wrote:The Netherlands get Watergeuzen as a unique unit, which is what happens when you give the cool ships to the English, I guess.

Thor what have they done. :pac :picard

So are Mao and Stalin still in civ V, but Hitler not? :pac

John Layfield

Post#6 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am

ard wrote:Thor what have they done. :pac :picard

So are Mao and Stalin still in civ V, but Hitler not? :pac

Nah, Russia is Catherine the Horse Fucker (nice) and China is Wu Zeitan. Mao and Stalin were always shit choices for leaders anyway. Crack open a history book sometime, you Civ making fuckers.

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#7 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:42 am

I miss having more than one choice of leader per Civ. :¯\_(ツ)_/¯

John Layfield

Post#8 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:49 am

Deltron wrote:I miss having more than one choice of leader per Civ. :¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno, some were a stretch and some were just nation-wanking. It always seemed like American and England got the most care there, shockingly enough.

ard in a manger

Post#9 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:24 am

Best ignore all African "civilisations" except for maybe Egypt focus more on the real civs. Zulu. :pac Ethiopia. :pac Mali. :pac

Deltron

Post#10 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am

Shaka used to steamroll over me in Civ III. He and Xerxes were usually by far the biggest threats. You let Persia get access to Iron in Civ III, you may as well restart your game.

ard in a manger

Post#11 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:42 am

The likes of Shaka and Montezuma were predictable and easy to coerce into wars or to coerce other leaders into war with them. Since their technology development usually falls behind, it's easy to gain an upper hand against them in war.

John Layfield

Post#12 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:47 am

I like having not-so-great entries. The whole game is ahistorical so you may as well have some alternate history where the Zulus or whoever are important.

If you want to play only the real big civs, just play Civ II, for the most part. If I had to pick a roster based on that sort of criteria, Germany and Japan would be some of the civs I'd cut anyway.

Although whoever keeps thinking there needs to be a random Native American tribe in each game needs a stern talking to. The Songhai Empire may not have exactly been Rome but it's at least as deserving as Denmark or Sweden even if its location precludes massive interest for the average American or European.

ard in a manger

Post#13 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:57 am

I'll take any civ over bushmen civs like Zulu and native American. No need to go back to Civ2. Custom game in a modern version that allows the picking of civs by hand is good enough.

John Layfield

Post#14 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 am

The Zulu in particular are bullshit because it's pure Anglo-centrism that gives them the nod over more developed African nations, even if you feel those are only slightly less bullshit.

Made up civs like Civ IV's Native American Empire and V's Polynesian one are the worst. Although I do understand the desire to spread them out a bit. That's pretty much how I decided what custom civ mods to do myself.

Deltron

Post#15 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 am

The biggest problem I always have with the inclusion of Native American tribes, other than the "here's a bone, guys" air of pandering (real or imagined?) is that 99.9% of those tribes were far too disparate to make much sense as a full-on player faction. Half of them were at war with the other half, plenty would ally with the English vs. the French or vice-versa, and none of them really cared to be thought of as "world powers" or whatever, they just wanted to be left the fuck alone to do their thing.

Yeah, there was something called the Iroquois Federation as represented in Civ III, which had a cup of coffee on the continental stage centuries ago, but that was out of necessity vs. European colonialism and/or more English vs. French junk and I can't imagine that anyone out there really carries a torch for it now. Unlike, say, all those fuckers with Confederate flags.

The "Native American" civ in Civ IV really didn't help either. At least that Federation was a thing that existed, even if the viability of its inclusion is pretty damned arguable. Did they even claim any territory, or were they just a loose cultural alliance?

Now, the Aztecs, Maya, and Inca, those all make sense. That should be as close as Civ gets, I think. Nothing going on up north really compares.

John Layfield

Post#16 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:12 am

Deltron wrote:Now, the Aztecs, Maya, and Inca, those all make sense. That should be as close as Civ gets, I think. Nothing going on up north really compares.

No campaigning for a Canada civ, Del? :awesome

Deltron

Post#17 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:20 am

Well, nothing up north in regards to indigenous peoples. I'd be okay with a Canada civ though, mainly because we're too large and relatively prestigious to be relegated to a city-state, even if we're not necessarily on the level of an England or America.

Leader: either Pierre Trudeau (modern era) or Alexander Mackenzie (historical)
Unit: the Avro Arrow would be the traditional choice, perhaps the only choice
Traits: probably something related to peacekeeping

John Layfield

Post#18 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:24 am

Deltron wrote:Leader: Mackenzie King, Canada's most batshit Prime Minister
Unit: Vancouver rioters
Traits: probably something related to apologising, helps city-states get over your transgressions faster

Even better.

Deltron

Post#19 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:28 am

Alternate traits: -1 of each owned resource for +1 gold/-1 happiness (scaling proportionately over time) if the American civilization is active.

Deltron

Post#20 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 am

Or!

Minority Government: lose x amount of gold every two to five turns (random) so the current PM can wave his dick around in another federal election.

Universal Healthcare: Civilization experiences no unhappiness due to health, but added unhappiness due to impatience, cancelling out into a matter/antimatter explosion of healthy, indignant people.

John Layfield

Re: [Civilization] Brainstorming a non-existent Canada civ

Post#21 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 am

The Avro Arrow never really went anywhere so it'd be a pretty poor unique unit. All these traits are gold though and at least one is going into my Canada mod somehow.

John Layfield

Post#22 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:12 am

Del: Better prime minister; Pearson or Trudeau (Pierre, not Kevin)?

Deltron

Post#23 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Trudeau might be the most common choice, though he was sort of in JFK's cult-of-personality vein, super charismatic and all that.

Pearson could take it for a lot of people just by his record alone; the flag, universal healthcare, Suez Canal crisis, etc. Plus he did all that in a minority government. Dude got shit done and didn't need to be a rockstar to do it.

ard in a manger

Post#24 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 pm

John Layfield wrote:Del: Better prime minister; Pearson or Trudeau (Pierre, not Kevin)?

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad! :pac

Pontiff of Zion
Those gnomes are disturbingly fuckable.

Post#25 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 am

I am reviving this topic!
Me and a couple of friends have been playing a very drawn out game of Civ5 when we get together, and yesterday we played it for almost six hours, finally bringing us into the Renaissance. My Carthaginians are also now the only nation that can travel in deep water and I've got scout parties going all over the map looking for ruins and whatnot, even though it's making my economy horrible and my people unhappy. I'm sure they'll get over it.

I used to be super into Civ2, but haven't seriously played it since then except for some Civ Revolution on DS, but that game left a lot to be desired. Civ5 though has me by the balls, I am loving it. Really makes me want a computer than can handle something more complex than SNES emulators.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”