[Giant Bomb/Waypoint] imstillwithher

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [Giant Bomb/Waypoint] imstillwithher

Post#576 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 pm

The opening of the latest Beastcast is pretty great, Alex does a good Dan.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#577 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Delthazar wrote:Wisely, Patrick's going in totally cold, so BUCKLE THE FUCK UP PATRICK

Spoiler :
His reactions to the Yuri finger licking scene are pretty good! :pacdown

And I totally wasn't expecting the Portal song ending! That was cool.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#578 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:10 pm

His reactions are almost 100% my reactions.

Spoiler :
The game being able to detect OBS/Xsplit and Monika commenting on it is really something. Makes me wonder if there are more little tricks like that waiting undiscovered.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#579 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Spoiler :
There's an acknowledgement for recording the final scene.

And, for using Steam, but I assume most people see that one.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#580 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberation podcasts are trickling out, this year in video form as well, which is nice. One video per category! Love it.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/latest/

Destiny 2 has no business being on that Best Looking list instead of Pyre. Props to Abby for fighting against the Brad machine.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#581 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:27 pm

So the big question - what games are you going to play while listening to HOURS of GOTY podcasts?

My list:
Sims 4
Skate 3
Spintires
Stardew Valley

Delthazar

Post#582 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:58 pm

Star Traders feels like a good choice for a podcast game. I really like the music, but there isn't much of it yet, so I may as well turn it off for now.

I'm a little surprised at how much people liked Nier's soundtrack, like, enough for it to win at the Game Awards and put it over Persona 5 and Cuphead on multiple sites. Maybe it really needs to be taken in context, but... isn't that also a strike against it?

Delthazar

Post#583 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Holy shit their Best World conversation is crazy. There's no way this category survives past this year without major changes.

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#584 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:57 am

Wow the times on the last day, I knew it was a 6 hour monster but...

Worst Game - 29 min
Best Mario Shot - 36 min
Best Cast - 34 min
GOTY - 5 hours

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#585 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Delthazar wrote:Holy shit their Best World conversation is crazy. There's no way this category survives past this year without major changes.

Wow yeah, Jeff was very salty all through that category because it was so poorly defined.

Delthazar

Post#586 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:43 pm

I think it will literally need to be Best Open World next year, or Best Environmental Storytelling, or... Best World You'd Want To Live In, or some other permutation. I get what Alex was going for but there's probably too many perspectives on this within games compared to other media so it's not too surprising that it got confusing.

Not a lot of surprises in the Best or Worst Game categories, though they got lucky with PUBG coming out of Early Access right after they recorded this. :pac Big props to Abby for pulling an Austin and getting Dream Daddy on the big list. (Maybe I'm crazy, but didn't Yakuza 0 come out last year?)

Persona 5 being dropped so quickly from Best Cast was surprising though. But I'm glad Night in the Woods got plenty of recognition there, in previous categories, and even in the Top 10.

Delthazar

Post#587 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:03 pm

It was a great year for games and #content and not much else!

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#588 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:59 pm

It was interesting having Abby as the unrelenting force this time when it's normally Brad who digs his heels in and strong-arms his selections into the top 10. Dan being dismissive of Dream Daddy was some classic old-Dan though. I don't know that I've ever agreed with the GB #1 GOTY, but my lack of old-console nostalgia puts me in a very different place when it comes to a lot of the games they enjoy.

I'm most surprised that Horizon was so low. I knew the comparisons to Zelda would come up but it's odd to me how much my flatmate loved that game and enjoyed traveling on foot and all of the battles which were things that apparently most of the GB crew hated in the game.

Delthazar

Post#589 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Horizon offers so many options in combat and the primary archery at its best is sublime so yeah, I was a little baffled there too, especially considering they gave it five stars in their review.

Also, some of the points they brought up against it, like the climbing, kinda didn't also come up in their conversations about Uncharted, which is the ur-example for those points and does it way more often, and for far longer stretches. There's no one climbing sequence anywhere in Horizon or its expansion that is anywhere near as long or involved as the climbing in Lost Legacy, to say nothing of Uncharted 4.

Hell, unless the player is going for the optional Banuk figurines, I feel like just about everywhere you need to go in Horizon has an alternate route.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#590 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:30 pm

I enjoy more technical climbing, and Horizon and Uncharted were sort of the closest there was to that this year. I get that it's not novel anymore, but if you were into Tomb Raider games it wasn't all that novel in Uncharted or Assassin's Creed really either. The absolute worst was Shadow of War, where it's basically pointless because you just rocket up the side of things faster than you would cover the same distance on the flat. At that point why grab anything? Just run up the side like a ninja ffs.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#591 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:51 am

I'm watching GiantBomb Hitsmas, and holy shit this game delivers time after time! :pacdown

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/holida ... 300-12717/

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”