[Giant Bomb] Permission to backflip.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

[Giant Bomb] Permission to backflip.

Post#1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:54 am

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [Giant Bomb] Del & Falcon's Fanboy Thread

Post#2 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:41 am

Haha, I remember that quick look. Have you seen xpantherx's channel on youtube? He does 'best of GQ quick looks', and captures most of the great moments in some sweet supercuts.

phpBB [video]

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#3 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:07 pm

I love those. I'm probably a few behind by now.

Here's GB as an 80s sitcom.

phpBB [video]

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#4 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:17 pm

That show would almost surely be better than Night Court was.

Delthazar

Post#5 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:01 pm

I wonder what the context was for that.

ard in a manger
Anhedonic Masochist / I only bang butts.

Post#7 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:05 am

It was so obvious from the gif alone. :pac

Delthazar

Post#8 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:17 pm

The GB WWE '13 CAW invasion has begun!

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#9 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 am

Oh man, that nWo themesong. I remember loving wrestling back then. People need to make GiantBomb stories in WWE13 and put them on youtube. I'd watch the hell outta that.

Delthazar

Post#10 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:14 am

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am

Haha, I didn't watch that last night - now that song is stuck in my head again!

DHerder222

Post#12 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:40 pm

My eldest brother is becoming more and more addicted to Giant Bomb as well. What is it exactly about the site that's so appealing to you all? From the visits I've made, it appears like a pretty standard gaming website, albeit with more charismatic writers/creators than is typical.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#13 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 pm

The appeal is that it's a website that produces a lot of content about video games, but from the perspective of a group of reporters who hate the bullshit in the industry*. They talk about games honestly, and are often very funny when doing so. If it came to light that GiantBomb were stuck in that industry bullshit, I believe most of their subscribers would walk. As it is, we value their honesty in the sea of shit around them so much that many people pay subscriptions to the website for a variety of premium content and to ensure that they can keep doing what they do.

* A lot of game websites live off ad revenue, and there have been instances where game publishers have threatened to pull advertising on these websites unless they get good reviews. This came to a head when Jeff Gerstmann reviewed Kane & Lynch and tore it apart for being a shitty game. The publisher objected and threatened to remove their advertising for that game on that site. Jeff said no and was basically fired from the website for giving his honest opinion. Jeff and some like minded individuals said "fuck you" to the industry and created GiantBomb.

DHerder222

Post#14 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm

I'd heard about the Kane and Lynch thing. So none of the guys have any ties to any developers or other companies in the industry? I can see that being appealing from an "We were on the inside, but now that we're out we can talk about what's REALLY going on" angle.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#15 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Yeah and they occasionally agonise about it. They have really good relationships with a lot of the developers of games across the industry; whether this is to do with their personalities, the fact that they tell it how it is, or just that it might boost the dev's sales I don't know. Probably some combo of the three. The fact is they often have developers on to talk about their games and this leads to them getting paranoid that people think this means they're in the pockets of some companies.

An example is the Bastion developers - they were invited onto a weekly show a few times during the development of that game to show what they were up to and what they were planning for the game. It was cool and interesting stuff, but the GiantBomb team worried when Bastion came out that people might think they were giving the game a high score because of those development videos and their relationship with the devs of that game. Ironically because that game was so well received it made them both more and less worried about giving it a high score and what people might read into that.

The only other place I go these days for highly opinionated, often funny and always impartial game impressions is TotalBiscuit's youtube channel. Since he makes money from youtube advertising he is another person that isn't afraid to call a game shit when he sees it, but he's more likely to go on personal crusades and get more angry with certain games. He boycotted Mass Effect 3 entirely because of the day 1 DLC and though he played near 100 hours of XCOM and really enjoyed it, he felt he couldn't put it in his top 10 games last year because it was too buggy for his liking.

A reader once asked the GiantBomb crew whether they would consider recruiting TB into the crew - they quite rightly said that there is no point. He's doing great on his own and would essentially be creating the same content in either place.

DHerder222

Post#16 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 pm

An example is the Bastion developers - they were invited onto a weekly show a few times during the development of that game to show what they were up to and what they were planning for the game. It was cool and interesting stuff, but the GiantBomb team worried when Bastion came out that people might think they were giving the game a high score because of those development videos and their relationship with the devs of that game. Ironically because that game was so well received it made them both more and less worried about giving it a high score and what people might read into that.

And to be fair, they're right to have concerns about that. Whenever I saw any sort of promo for something on Gamespot or G4, I wondered if a subsequent review was being colored by that. And let's be honest, with those two it probably was.

Really, it's no different than any other kind of journalism. White House Correspondents constantly worry that if they ask questions that are *too* tough, the President and his aides will call on them less. It's the eternal struggle of access VS. objectivity.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#17 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm

And every time they talk about it they come down hard on the side of objectivity. Basically all they can do is give their honest opinions. If developers don't give them exclusives or free copies of games then too bad. They know how much of a slipperly slope it is to balance those things, so they don't. They tell it how it is and can only hope that developers (and more importantly viewers) respect that. It seems that they do.

Even if a developer stopped sending them promos or early review copies of games because they tell the truth - for the most part any game they were going to look at anyway they'll just buy and look at it.

Delthazar

Post#18 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:46 pm

The redesign will be up sometime today... I'm giddy with anticipation.

DHerder222

Post#19 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Did the website change at all after the purchase from CBS?

Delthazar

Post#20 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 am

Nope. Aside from moving into new offices, it's been the same as always.

Delthazar

Post#21 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 pm

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Why boner? :pac

DHerder222

Post#23 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Is anyone else going to say it?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#24 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 pm

If 2 1/2 hours of Euro trucking is too much for you, here's a cool 9 minutes of highlights of probably the most hilarious video GiantBomb has done this year.

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#25 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:28 am

So Ryan Davis died. That's a pretty big deal, especially since it was like a week after his wedding. In his honour I think this thread has a bunch of great Ryan clips.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general ... s-1443981/

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”