[Giant Bomb] SQUAD

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Re: [Giant Bomb] SQUAD

Post#476 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 pm

It's a REALLY streamable game and the more people I like streaming it, the better, for sure. I usually appreciate some distancing from bandwagons but some things gather momentum for a raisin. Crowbar and Sickle have some good chemistry too, which always helps.

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#477 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:50 am

Hell yeah big long Saturn stream.

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#478 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:21 am

The GBE Megadate was pretty good too, a bunch of multiplayer mayhem and Abby's pantomine skills are next level!

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#479 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Welp, here we go.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#480 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Hella yes! Make sure you share your stories.

Deltron

Post#481 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 am

Heh, so I airdropped near the northwestern shore of the southern island at a pair of small houses. No one else was anywhere near me, houses weren't great for loot, carried on along the shore to a larger set of buildings. Still no one around, got tons of gear, camped a bit. Probably like 50 people were dead by this point. The circle corralled me to the north, so I decided to stay clear of the bridges and swam to these rocky upcroppings that aren't on the map and just kinda took in the scenery for a bit.

Was forced north again to the opposing beach where I finally started to hear gunfire. Tried to get onto this giant pier (also kinda unmapped? Or poorly mapped? It didn't seem to correspond to my map location at all), eventually swam around it, ignored a boat, swam to the beach. Small circle now, maybe 15 alive. Dodged some shots running into a tiny one-room beach hut, like a changing room thing I guess. Ran again to a larger pair of houses just off the shoreline. Stayed prone from here on to the end.

In the top 10 now. Camped for a hot second under a tree leading to the beach. Somehow, I'm in the top 5. Then 3. Killed a dude as he exited a house, then crawled around to the second house, where the only other dude was camped inside. Tossed my smoke bomb in to cover my entry, but it was I who got smoked trying to get in the door for that last kill.

Still, a really great first run. I wasn't expecting to do that well at all.

This is really intense.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#482 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Damn, starting strong!

Deltron

Post#483 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Best I've been able to do since then was #6. Final circle appeared over a very densely packed group of multi-storey houses and it got basically impossible to scout all the possible attack vectors. Took a headshot from a balcony a floor or two up.

I wish this game had Overwatch's killcam so I could get a better sense of what I just did wrong. :pac

I'm having a ton of fun with it, but it's Early Access as fuck, beyond the other games I've played in Early Access before. The UI is pretty bad and all the lobby/fly-in stuff feels like a very awkward placeholder and it's kind of an ugly game in general on any hardware. Performance is kinda all over the place. Thankfully there's been like three updates in the last 24 hours so at this pace and with 2 million sales filling their coffers these problems should hopefully go away fast.

John Layfield

Post#484 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:33 pm

I'm sure you know this, but remember that grass isn't actually cover. It disappears on lower graphics settings.

Deltron

Post#485 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Yeah, though oddly enough it doesn't seem like too many players have figured that out yet. Thankfully. I managed to survive a minute or two sniping prone in tall grass at a dude in a dune buggy until he finally figured out where I was and I got smoked.

Not sure if the game has evasive rolls yet but I could've used one there for sure.

Deltron

Post#486 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#487 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Continuing intersectionality, love it!

Beaglerush mentioned that smoke and wind is rendered/calculated client side in PUBG, so he doesn't use smoke grenades because there's no sure fire way to know what area is being covered.

Deltron

Post#488 » Tue May 16, 2017 5:11 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a good raisin to stop using smoke for sure. Plus the potential XCOM situation where tossing smoke to cover movement just unintentionally gives your opponent a target area to spray blindly at.

Deltron

Post#489 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

SQUAD

BOAT SQUAD

I'm not really good enough at this thing yet to be terribly useful in SQUAD, I think I managed exactly one kill in half a dozen games last night, but it's pretty fun anyway.

John Layfield

Post#490 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 pm

I mean, without Jeff, the GB crew have devolved into an atrocious team, so you're still one up on the pros.

Deltron

Post#491 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Heh, we definitely finished higher on average than GB did on Monday's stream.

Ben just wants to watch the world burn.

Deltron

Post#492 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm

The whole world seems to have gotten in on the Battlegrounds streaming money train, including the Brothers McElroy and their not-McElroy friends.

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#493 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Patrick's latest solo run in PUBG was hilarious.

phpBB [video]

Deltron

Post#494 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Probably still my favourite Murder Island moment that doesn't involve dune buggies:

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#495 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm

That point blank shotgun was pretty tight, for sure.

Deltron

Post#496 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm all about Jeff's Brexit joke.

I had a similar Shotgun Dan moment last night rescuing a downed buddy in SQUAD, but I was using a UMP or something, so it took like half a clip on full auto to be a hero and I died almost immediately afterwards. :pacdown I'm still pretty bad at this game. If I get even one kill, it was a pretty good run for me, while everyone I SQUAD with is routinely getting four or five.

The tap-to-ironsight/scope controls always mess me up a little too, since virtually everything else I play has that on hold. Going back and forth between Battlegrounds and Overwatch always brings with it some momentary confusion. It's a good thing I'm not a Widow main.

This thing needs a ping counter too. My latency doesn't feel bad enough to be an excuse, but who knows.

Deltron

Post#497 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:49 am

Endless Space 2 sounds kind of amazing per Friday's episode of Waypoint Radio. Figures that Austin and his crew might sell me on another 4X game.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#498 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Yeah they're really good at getting into what makes each 4x game different and inspires us to want what they're offering :pac

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#499 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Dan getting frustrated with his father on the latest Beastcast is kinda proof of how far he's come from the "I won't try that because I already like this" attitude.

Deltron

Post#500 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:33 pm

He should play Persona 5 though

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”