[Suikoden] is dead, long live Suikoden

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Re: [Suikoden] is dead, long live Suikoden

Post#526 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Yeah, Tactics was leaps and bounds better.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#527 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 pm

I guess I can agree with them being bland. But bland and well-drawn is usually better than an intriguring character who's been drawn in an unappealing style. One thing that's cool and pretty consistent throughout Suikoden's artwork is that costumes and designs are more realistic than you usually find in FF-inspired JRPGs. Maybe SV not so much, but at least the clothes in SIV are things people would actually wear.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#528 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 am

I found it interesting that they did things like reduce/eliminate patterned textiles since they were going back in time and tried to show that in the character design.

Estranged
...bagua sanfa.

Post#529 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:39 am

I think I'm one of the only people who actually liked IV. I like a lot of the characters, the simplicity, and the historical context. I usually don't like prequels much, but that one does it for me. I did like Tactics a lot too.

I liked V, but I've never replayed it entirely. I have to wonder how much would actually be left if it was stripped of all the fan service. All of the games had some degree of that, but V seemed like it was made from it almost entirely.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#530 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:22 am

I didn't hate IV, but it is my least favorite of the Suikodens. If it had been it's own game, disconnected from the series, it would have been fine. Which is also what I thought of Tierkreis.

Hmm. I'm trying to think back, and I'm not sure if I prefer Tierkreis or IV. They're different enough that it's a little hard to compare.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Swamp Lord / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post#531 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 pm

IV was immediately a red flag for me when I first heard it was going to be set 150 years in the past. After the riveting experience that was Suikoden III, that sounded like it was (sorry) a giant step backwards. It had some interesting stuff, but it is the one that I never find I have an itch to play. I think we last danced to completion back in 2006 or so. I fired it up a few years back, but never left the deserted island. Did I? Maybe I met the king. I forget.

On the other hand, despite its warts, I always enjoy my replays of Suikoden V, so when that is announced for PSN, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

True Perception

Post#532 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I'll buy it, but I'm not going to jump on it right away. Though, I'm kinda broke right now, so that's helping that along.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#533 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:04 am

Deltron wrote:Really? A few outliers aside, I thought most of the character design was pretty bland. That said, I've never liked pretty much 90% of Kawano's work, and even IV is a huge step up from her stuff in the OG Suikoden. And for some raisin I thought the art in Tactics was much better. I dunno man, I'm weird.

Some of IV's environmental and mechanical art was sorta nice though. I think.

"Kawano's original Suikoden art was bad and her work on IV was better but still not as good as Ishikawa and Tactics was better than that still" is the universal heat-death of hot takes.

Not saying you're wrong, but you're certainly not the outlier this time.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#534 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm

I have no need to be an outlier. I didn't like her artwork in the original and it upgraded to merely kinda bland later on. Full stop. That's a decades-old opinion. If you want an actual hot take, check out that email screencap Austin tweeted.

All of these games are sorta busted in one way or another. If the worst thing going on is the art, that's probably just fine.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#536 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:05 am

I like how its name is Snow XD

True Perception

Post#537 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 am

I just realized: Both Melville's father, and the pervert who torments him, have the same name.

Edit: Ooh, new theory for Blue Moon. Billy IS Guillaume. Secret perversions of the father, and the second life he created to hide his shame!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#538 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Whoa, rolled a family!

True Perception

Post#539 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Well, there is only one good choice, there.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#540 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 pm

I've always liked Jillia's design. Sad we don't see her more.

True Perception

Post#541 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:15 pm

*coughQueencough*

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#542 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:52 am

Oh man, we got ourselves a Queen truther over here.

Estranged
...bagua sanfa.

Post#543 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 am

I confess.. I'm one too.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”