[Stardew Valley] Pelikenny Problems

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [Stardew Valley] Movin' to the country, gonna vore a lot of peaches

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:23 am

You should check out https://upload.farm/ you can link to your savefile and it creates a profile for your farm, with all your details.

This is my current layout. Since I refuse to build a barn I'm counting on the travelling merchant to give me large milk or large goat milk.. that's the only thing left for the greenhouse and by extension the entire community centre. Anyway, I'm having fun with cute layouts and lots of bunnies.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Haha, your farm is far better organized than mine.

Almost everything I do at this point is in either the greenhouse (year-round hops farm) or the cellar (kegs 'n' casks), so I've kinda just let the trees run rampant over like 70% of the property. I am slowly making inroads though. Starting to double-up on cobblestone paths, then I'll clean up the trees a little, maybe start thinking about a proper run for the animals - even if I only keep about one of each.

Probably gonna move all my crafting stations and storage chests into the empty shed. Currently most of that stuff just kinda lays around randomly outside, so occasionally one will get wrecked by weather or weeds.

Got my first Void Egg last night, which I tossed into the incubator to get a Void Chick. So I guess I'll have an easy source of more Void Eggs pretty soon.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:57 pm

My first farm was more like yours, I didn't feel like I needed most of the space so I let it 'go to seed'. This time around I wanted a much more controlled look, and the Forest map with its unplowable grass areas kinda forces you to make zones like mine.

It's hard to see due to autumn browning the grass, but the area between the house and greenhouse is unfarmable grass, similarly the bottom right from the bottom of my flower gardens to my livestock fence you can't run crops on.

When it gets to winter I'm probably going to experiment with replacing all the stone paths on my farm with the aged wood path you can see between my wheat field and vineyard, since it's a lot warmer looking.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:09 am

Out of curiosity I downloaded a time mod which stops time when indoors, which (I think) matches Harvest Moon's old behavior. I wonder if it'll feel too much like a cheat in Stardew Valley if I don't remember it being that big a deal in Harvest Moon, but Stardew wasn't balanced around it, so who knows.

If the mines and skull cave count as indoors, then yeah. :pac

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:25 pm

Trip report: that time mod only affects non-combat spaces, so the mines work the same as before. Not that game balance is really too big a deal in a game this chill.

Heh, but now that virtually everything I do happens inside my greenhouse or cellar, I can get through my daily routine in about 20 in-game minutes thanks to that mod. Guess I'll spend all this free time fishin'.

I also finally finished the community center and all the S-Link related achievements. Looks like my biggest remaining goal on my original save is building Pam's house, which is a 500k investment. Gonna take a while to get there even with the brewery running full tilt.

General farm update:

Built the Slime Hutch and the Stable, so now I've got all the buildings. Not... really sure of the purpose of slime ranching, but Abigail kept mentioning it, so... there it is. I put it about as far from the house as possible. Safety first.

It's kinda hard to make out all the cobblestone paths from this vantage but I've been putting in tons of those lately and widening the old ones. At the point now where I keep running out of stone. Gotta keep hitting the mines and quarry I guess.

Also, I moved all my sprinklers except the one Iridium into the greenhouse to ease hops production. So there ain't much happening outdoors all of a sudden.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:12 am

Not a lot of changes on my farm, I did replace all the stone paths with the less aggressive looking aged wooden paths, and I used the slime eggs and incubator to birth two slimes in the bottom left area. They are now happily reproducing and sliming up the little forest.

I reached Spring Y3, so I got the Grandpa evaluation. I've still not managed to score a large milk or large goat milk so the greenhouse and comm center remain unfinished, which hurt my score. I did manage to dig up a dinosaur egg and friend up Shane for blue chickens, so I have one of each of those running around now.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Bumping this thread as there may or may not be useful info buried in here somewhere for Blutie though I have no clue how much is still relevant to 1.4

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 pm

It's not Stardew-related, exactly, but Witchbrook is a game I'm really excited to play. Haven't heard much from it in 2019 so I hope everything's still on track.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah Witchbrook is a game I've been looking forward to since it was announced. I feel like it's one that's going to appear out of nowhere like Stardew did, so I'm not too worried.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Dragging stuff over from the other thread,
Falcon Critical wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 pm
Then I fell in the modding hole. There's a recoloured seasons mod which looks real cute, then there's farm buildings that change each season, and then there's a mod that makes all the townsfolk change clothes each season, then there's an anime portrait mod that links into that spritework to make seasonal portraits for all the characters...!
I saw these! I really like the portraits mod I'm already using (this one, I think) but I'm strongly considering rolling a new game with that seasonal stuff instead. It'll add a good Persona feeling when the seasons transition and suddenly everyone changes clothes. I imagine using the anime portraits on top will also give the game more of a Harvest Moon feeling, too.

The only real drawback is I dunno how many villagers are included. Portrait/sprite replacers often take a while to update everyone 'cause it's just a ton of work, even without adding a ton of seasonal variants, so sometimes there's a little whiplash when talking to someone with the New Hotness then going to someone else with the Old 'n' Busted.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [Stardew Valley] Pelicanny Problems

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:47 pm

The seasonal outfits mod is pretty all encompassing (having dived into the mod files).

The anime version less so, they've done the bachelorettes, kids, pam, and the wizard so far. Because it's dependent on the seasonal outfits mod everyone else has their base game looks but different clothes, which is a bit of a disconnect so I'm not sure going I'd recommend going through to the anime version.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Good point. I'll mull it over for a spell before I do any serious mod installs. Interesting that there's now a couple specialized Stardew mod managers in addition to SMAPI. Feels 100% like the Fallout modding experience... which means I'll inevitably end up doing a full clean reinstall of everything Stardew-related just to make sure nothing is horribly broken. :pacdown

Coincidentally, I've been looking into replacing my keyboard what with all the black friday sales on and everything, and RGB lighting is on my mind, so go figure Stardew has Chroma support

https://youtu.be/8jwlnJpbVDw

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Back on the subject of Stardew-likes, seems I have a copy of My Time At Portia headed my way via the next Humble Monthly. I wonder how that one has progressed since whenever it left Early Access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vp3ucTq30Y

e: jeez I guess it's technically a 2019 release then, huh. Better take a look just for the sake of The List.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:26 am

Let me know how it is, please! I thought for a loooong time about getting it. A combination of reports about huge bugs and an art style I wasn't sure about ultimately scared me off. But I'm up for taking another look.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Stardew Valley] Pelikenny Problems

Post by Delthazar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:50 pm

I've still only dipped my toe in its waters, but I can tell you it's got a solid character creator.

Beyond that, it feels slanted more towards building than Stardew's farming, where building was generally more a means to help facilitate the farm stuff. But for all I know you can grow crops and raise animals to your heart's content in Portia and I'm just not there yet.

Visually, it's got some very pleasant use of colour and everything has a vague Breath of the Wild blend to it which I'm a big fan of - at least outdoors.

Indoor environments break that for me. Most everything inside feels barren compared to the exteriors, and worse, overscaled for camera positioning, much like an old MMO. Super high ceilings, low detail objects. Cavernous. I hate that.

Characters look mostly fine, with a few standing out as maybe too cartoony, but not necessarily inconsistent with the others, at least. A lot of the buildings in town follow that. Cartoon architecture. It's definitely not my prefered look, but whatever.

It plays well, for what little bit of the actual gameplay I got into. Good on gamepad, good on mouse/keyboard. Both are active simultaneously like Stardew, so you can switch to a mouse for precision when you really need it. I find that helps a lot in games like these.

I'll have to get deeper in to say with any certainty but the thought that always enters my head when I'm playing Portia and Stardew is that if you got into Harvest Moon on the SNES, you might prefer Stardew, while if you got into Harvest Moon on the N64 or PS2, you might be more into Portia.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:18 pm

I started a new farm last night on the forest map. It's interesting having the space limited in this way compared to the wide open original layout, plus there's more water than I expected on this one, too. As someone who shys away from the sprawling factory farm style in favour of filling the greenhouse with crops once it's available and letting the outdoors be a little more natural, this will be fine.

Maybe eventually I'll plant fruit trees in the forest and tap the normal trees for an improvised orchard situation and syrup harvests, plus whatever I can do with these ponds besides just crab traps. They added new pond-things a while back, right?

Stardew's also a good test case for the 8BitDo M30 I just got, as are most games with no need for camera controls or a right stick. Getting Steam to play 100% nice with its old-school button layout has been a little finicky though. Half the time it wants to map LB to RB and RB to... the C button. Why? Hell if I know.

e: there's some progress being made by the Nexus folks getting Anime Portraits/Seasonal Anime Portraits updated for 1.4+, so that should hopefully be ready to go in a couple weeks maybe, but in the meantime consider checking out Seasonal Buildings if you really wanna sell the full seasonal experience.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 pm

I believe the fishing ponds were new to 1.4, so I haven't messed with them at all. Also I'm already on the fishing farm so it seems a bit extra.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:36 am

Forest map owns thanks to all the hardwood stumps in the west section, which will speed up construction later on, plus there's a good amount of forage you might normally have to leave the farm to find, including mushrooms.

Heh, the Time Freeze mod now pauses time inside the mines by default. Health/Energy is still a big limiting factor, at least early on, but with no more time crunch I can afford to drop in there once a day just for kicks + the quartz I'll need to woo Maru.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Chests Anywhere looks like the best way to solve any lingering inventory management problems. Build chests, put them wherever you want, access them from wherever you want. Simple. Also works with the fridge, shipping box, etc.

Only problem might be getting it to play nice with gamepads.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:13 pm

A new mod adds a cafe to Stardew, looks cute and it's right next to your house so very convenient. Now you can tell yourself that all the coffee beans you sell go to your local business and stop by for a nice breakfast.

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/this-stardew ... twin-npcs/