[Stardew Valley] Pelikenny Problems

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Stardew Valley] Movin' to the country, gonna vore a lot of peaches

Post by Delthazar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Yeah, switching to keyboard/mouse for a moment is the only way I discovered how to attach bait and hooks to fishing rods. There might not be an exact mapping counterpart for some things with a controller yet.

Leah's birthday is late winter, I think, I'm still a couple weeks out. Someone in the SA thread speculated that a lot of s-link scenes might be blocked in winter, so I might have to wait for spring before I can finish Abigail's and pop the Q - amulet guy at the beach only appears on rainy days, so he might not appear at all until the first spring rain anyway.

I've only seen one star slime so far, I think I got a pair of sneakers from him. Have you unlocked the hat merchant?

There's already a not-insignificant mod community forming, despite no Workshop integration. Here's how you can start turning Stardew into Pokemon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/ ... etextures/

The official mod forum has stuff for UI improvements, resprites and recolours (turn your orange cat black!), harder fishing, and (figures) cleavage, of course.

http://community.playstarbound.com/forums/mods.215/
http://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-mods/

Steam is showing something like 50k simultaneous players right now. Pretty amazing numbers for a HM-like developed by one guy with no advertising.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Yeah it's similar to the Banished zeitgeist except this one has addictive gameplay loops and broader appeal so it's exploded far more than Banished did.

I'm tempted to look into the easier fishing mod, but winter is coming so perhaps I'll just try more then. We should start comparing farms :awesome

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:19 am

And here's my farm, it's mid fall. Made the cave into shrooms, got some honey going on and some trees tapped now too.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:32 am

Damn, that's a nicely organized farm. My shit is still kinda all over the place. I'll try to get a few shots up later.

In the meantime, the QL is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDh03tqaoE

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:20 am

I built a stone path down through the trees to Marnie's Farm/Leah's house, I pretty much leave most of my farm to grow rampant with grass/trees etc so a nice stone path was an effective way of speeding up my travel in that direction.

Came second in the Autumn wares fare, though all my items were gold stars. I guess it's based on value?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Haha the very end of the quick look/fade out is very much the great feels you get from farming in this game.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:19 am

Fishing finally clicked for me, I was spending too much time clicking rapidly to try and control the green bar when it should be a more relaxed hold and release pattern.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Stardew's mod community has had its first drama bomb.

http://community.playstarbound.com/thre ... in.108719/

:suicide

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Hah, whitewashing mod is pretty tone deaf given the current visibility of these issues. Or, y'know, anytime - but especially right now.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:20 pm

I'd look up why this mod was made in the first place, but... :effort

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:33 am

You don't really need to look it up, I mean I guess someone decided they liked Maru but wanted to date a white character for whatever raisin - so they modded it. They probably thought they did a decent job and that someone else might appreciate it, but the whole thing backfired spectacularly.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Yeah, there is no "why" other than "personal preference" which in this case is "whites only lol" (ignoring that the other 9 romanceable NPCs already fit that just fine.)

That thread has like one poor reasonable dude trying to explain why this mod is a bad idea and getting dogpiled by about a dozen shitty nerds all bending over backwards trying to justify it. There's leaps of logic in there which are truly baffling.

Reminds me of one of the New Vegas character overhaul mods that turned a bunch of black NPCs white "to better match the voice acting" as if all black people talk like Barry White or Charles Barkley or something. There's some cool modders out there but holy shit are some of 'em nuts.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:57 pm

1.05 is out.

Zoom is back, lighting quality options, Leah's schedule is "fixed" (was she really that hard to find before?), etc.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:49 am

I had trouble finding her in spring, but hasn't been an issue since then. The naming your child thing I heard happened when someone named their horse Abigail as a joke, it bugged out both horse and wife.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:35 pm

I've been having some trouble growing my fruit trees despite keeping the adjacent tiles clear. Maybe the soil in those tiles needs to be untilled?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah it doesn't matter once the tree has grown, but while it is in the growing phase you can't have tilled soil or footpaths or anything in the squares around the sapling. My Apple tree didn't grow in time for Autumn the first year because I had one square of path in the surrounding tiles.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Hmm, shit, my trees are probably gonna completely miss the season then. Oh well. In a game that is basically endless they'll bear fruit eventually.

Finally got around to building barns. I say barns plural because one is for animals and the other is for all the kegs I'm going to fill with booze. :getin

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:30 am

Hah, that's an interesting idea - a booze barn. I have a couple of little life-hacks I came up with such as my mayo machine is inside my coop, so whenever I pick up the morning eggs I can biff one into mayo. Also I have the milking bucket in a chest in the barn so that I don't have to carry it everywhere and it's there when I need it.

I zoomed out the zoom level to 75% which fits a bunch more on the screen.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:34 am

Once your chickens get their hearts up, they can start producing large eggs, which turn into an automatic gold star mayo when tossed into the machine. Same might apply to cows, milk, and cheese, but I haven't got my cow that far yet.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:15 am

Ah, I figured the large eggs were just random.

Here's a quick farm update. Up by the house:

And down where I built my barn.

I quite like how that path came out.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri May 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Just bumping this for Thor.

Hey Thor, one of the first things you should do is build chests for extra storage. Stuff like Cranberries and Cauliflower are excellent money crops. Artisan is an amazing profession choice in the later game. Abigail is Best Girl. That is all.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post by Thor McOdin Senpai » Sat May 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Tomorrow is the Egg Festival. It's my understanding strawberries should be purchased on that day.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun May 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Yeah, Strawberries are great. Potentially buy more than you can plant now since you won't be able to get them at the regular shop next season either, and you lose a week of harvest before the egg festival comes around again.

That is if you're meta-gaming it, if you're embracing the chill then yeah just grab a couple at the festival and hold onto one or two for cooking or collections.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post by Thor McOdin Senpai » Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Got about 14 strawberry seeds. Need to wait 7 more days to make bank. In the meantime, I'm taking advantage of the mine. I'm kind of an introvert with relationships, though, mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing there.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon May 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Shipping is pretty simple: talking to people as much as you can will get you some progress on its own, gifts probably about double that (limit twice per week per character) and loved gifts will double your gains again. ex: Abigail likes Quartz but loves Amethyst, etc. Giving someone a gift on their birthday is a huge boost, especially with a loved gift, often enough to gain you three hearts in one shot.

There are a few universal likes and loves that can make things even easier. Just about everyone likes sashimi for example, with maybe two or three exceptions. Those who don't like sashimi seem to like Mayo.

It's not too far off from the Persona s-link stuff really; ten hearts = ten ranks, there are s-link scenes every two hearts... just with no fail states in the scenes themselves so you don't have to worry about fucking up, and you don't necessarily need to trigger each scene to keep going up ranks either. Quests will help too, as will completing a few bundles. It's pretty chill.

When you get a bachelor/ette (those marked as single) up to eight hearts, you can trigger a romance by giving them a bouquet purchased at Pierre's. At ten hearts, there's a special amulet, and... well, I'll let you figure that part out yourself.