[Stardew Valley] Pelikenny Problems

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Re: [Stardew Valley] Movin' to the country, gonna vore a lot of peaches

Post by Thor McOdin Senpai » Thu May 19, 2016 8:56 am

About 25 days in. The strawberries grew nicely, and are still producing seeds. I'm also getting a bit more income by reaping the benefits of those "Spring Rewards" seeds at the moment. I mined a bit too hard one night and passed out in the street. Thanks, Jojo...

Also, no girls wanted to dance with me at the first Flower Dance. Well, fuck you all too!

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Thu May 19, 2016 9:04 am

Damn flower bitches looking for Chads up in this valley.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9e3c-nMRA

Cellars! If they're expandable, maybe I won't need to build spare barns for my brewing operations.

I wonder if "new farm types" means that the farm layouts are now completely randomized, or if it's something you select at the start of the game.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:51 pm

I believe there are now five farm types, depending on what you want to focus on, i.e. a fishing farm type with rivers, a mining farm type with a quarry area, a fighting farm type where monsters can spawn around your house etc.

I presume the layouts are still set, you just choose what kind of farm you want at the start. I'm all for more variety around the farm, if you look at my screenshots earlier in the thread I'm certainly not the type to go ham on turning everything to garden.

I guess this is becoming my primary podcast-listening-game again, sorry Rebel Galaxy and Blood Bowl. :pac

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Actually if you go to the farm planner website you can preview what each of the farms looks like, use the [Layouts] drop-down.

https://stardew.info/planner/

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post by Thor McOdin Senpai » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:23 pm

So is 1.1 automatically downloaded to your computer when you start the game, or is there a process that needs to be done first?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:46 pm

It just updated through steam for me.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Anything on Steam will automatically update itself assuming you haven't turned that feature off. So you probably already have 1.1 installed unless you keep Steam closed. If not it'll tell you via an "update required" or "update queued" next to the game(s) in your library.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:38 am

Giant Bomb subscribers will find a GBE Playdate for Stardew Valley up now, with freshly-minted GBEAST member Dan Ryckert.

e: holy shit, one helluva Dan story at about an hour thirty-five. :rabbit

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:19 pm

I like his confusion about how it happened, the idea of sneaking up on rabbits with a lawnmower is pretty good.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:02 pm

I saw that Stardew Valley is now on PS4, and I'm considering trying it out (only $25 at Best Buy). I had thought that SV was sort of like a mobile game in that it was getting new content updates constantly. Is that incorrect, is it now a completed game?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:18 pm

It was always a completed game. Stardew was so content dense at launch that I still haven't seen all of it. But any game that sells this well and attracts as strong a following, especially if it's already a passion project like Stardew, is always gonna have continued content updates.

Get it, it's great.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Huh, I don't know how I got that impression. But yup, I will do so. Did you use any sort of guide to help you figure out how to do things? Or did you just go with the flow?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Aside from figuring out a few convenience things* I pretty much just winged it. Stardew has no particular time limits or missable events or whatever, so you can be as casual or as hardcore as you want.

* build yerself a storage chest early, that's probably one of the first things you'll need
* you can buy backpacks for more inventory space at the general store
* there's a bridge south of town you can repair for about 300 wood, could be useful
* sprinklers are clutch
* basically everyone likes sashimi and mayo

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

Since we were talking Stardew elsewhere, the big multiplayer update is still on the way, but apparently it'll also include new stuff for the main single player game. Only hint so far is we might be getting playable boats, or maybe an NPC boat we can take to a new area. So I'm looking forward to that a lot.

https://www.destructoid.com/new-content ... 2791.phtml

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Yeah, just restarted since my old start file was in like, last March, and I forgot the chest by the house sold shit so I was using it thinking it was storage and lost all my starter seeds...

But I was only like 5 game days in, so whatever.

Already making way more progress and yes, I made 2 chests. Can't afford the backpack, though, which I desperately need. Should I sell all my parsnips or hold on to them for something? I'm still overwhelmed by the "what if I need this later?" aspect.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Once your crops are grown and harvested there's no particular raisin I can think of to hold onto them unless they're good for gifts or part of a recipe you wanna cook. But generally speaking there aren't many items in the game you can't find again later, especially crops. Pretty sure even the artifacts you can collect for the museum have duplicates laying around just in case you accidentally lose one.

If you do happen to lose something, or just wanna speed up searching for various items of interest, there's a special merchant who appears twice a week above the lake south of your farm who carries a randomized inventory. I'm fairly certain every item in the game has a chance to spawn on her list regardless of rarity, too.

Once you get the cutscene with the mayor about the community center you'll get a better idea of what sorta items you might wanna stockpile.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:42 am

I would hold onto a few of each crop mostly because I was trying to fill out my recipe list and it was frustrating to learn a recipe that required strawberries the season after I sold them all.

Other than that the only real raisin to keep crops is to fill out the community centre, and if you want to win the autumn fair (you need 9 different items with gold stars, though I think it also needs to be a mix of plants and fish and shells and mushrooms etc).

There is also a seedmaker later on, so if you have a rare crop you could hold onto it to try and get more than one seed out of your harvest.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm

1.3 is up, in an optional beta form at least, which is worth pointing out 'cause it's bringing in multiplayer as its headline feature.

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-build-p ... ey-update/

So that's pretty huge, but like PC Gamer I'm just as intrigued by all the other stuff 1.3 is adding, such as the ability to build Pam a house.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:59 am

Stardew will be on iOS this month and Android somewhere down the line.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/1 ... ease-date/

It'll be able to import saves from the PC version, which is nice. No way the SMAPI extender or any mods will carry over but few of those are of much consequence anyway.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:13 am

I was somehow awful at this game, so maybe the controls will ironically be better on my phone? I had trouble fishing properly, and never even found all the people for the first quest...

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I think the wizard was the one I didn't find for ages... don't think I could play this on my phone, but maybe my iPad has a screen large enough for it to work well.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Getting back to this since I don't think I've played much at all since a lot of the major updates went up. Haven't even poked at the new farm types yet. Think I might roll a new game on the forest map.

Annoyingly a lot of the mods I used have stopped updating since then even though SMAPI is current. Really gonna miss Get Dressed/Kisekae unless I can find another decent dressup mod.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 pm

There's a mirror mod, where you can change your appearance in the mirror. Failing that you can get to 4(?) star friends with the Wizard and then use his basement to change your look.

I've been well into Stardew again lately, so good for podcasts.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Figured I'd continue my OG save for a spell since it's way closer to popping some of these cheevos than any new farm would be from scratch. Like, I'm an apple and a pomegranate away from finishing the community center on this save, and I finally got the Monoculture cheevo just by selling off my common hops. I have my greenhouse pumping out a huge amount daily, getting way more hops than I have kegs to brew with at the moment, so I'll have more than enough hops just keeping the silvers and golds.

Looks like I plopped down a second barn to turn into a brewery the last time I played, so... need to move the kegs out of the basement. Then fill the basement with something else, uh... potted plants, maybe, essentially turn it into another greenhouse. More hops? Means even more kegs to build. Maybe a third barn.

They added an autocollection thing for cows/goats/sheep, too, or at least I don't remember that being there last time. Now I can toss some tools into storage. Clutch.