CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Re: CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Post#476 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:02 pm

Once I heard it was a hack and slash, I lost all interest. The video didn't do anything for me. Oh well, guess I'll wait until SMT V before seriously considering a Switch.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#477 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Man I love the Culdcept series, including the new one on 3DS, but I love the series even more when you can use a Gameshark-like device. :awesome

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#478 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Horizon's expansion The Frozen Wilds is out so I'm taking a look at that as part of my New Game+ run. Like Horizon in general, it's quite excellent.

I'll probably have more to say about it later, but for now 1) I sorta forgot most of how Horizon plays since I finished my first run in June, so the first new encounter was roouugh, and 2) I'm still amazed at how pretty the game is, and I'm just playing on a normal PS4 with a normal TV. On a PS4 Pro and a 4K HDR screen it might melt my brain out my ears.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#479 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 pm

My flatmate has been playing the expansion, and she has PS4 Pro on my 4K TV. It really is a sight to behold, and a really cool game.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#480 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:00 pm

If you haven't played/watched the full game yet I'd totally recommend doing so, there's tons of points in the story (and a lot of the side material too) where I thought to myself "hey, Falcon/John/Thor/etc. would probably really dig this"

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#481 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:52 pm

It's probably my favourite game this year that I haven't played :pacdown

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#482 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:55 am

Chiseled out of icebox take: Yakuza 0 is pretty good and like a Shenmue that doesn't suck.

Bier_Engel

Post#483 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:46 pm

So I still have no idea what I'm doing in Stardew Valley but I at least opened it again and enjoyed it. Is same-sex marriage allowed? It looks like it is, from a glance.

Still planning on getting a PS4 next week. What should my first game be? Ideas:

Tales of Zestria (or Berseria)
FFXV (I hated everything after X but my friends with similar tastes seem to like this one)
Nier Automata
Something else (recommend it to me)

John Layfield

Post#484 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:So I still have no idea what I'm doing in Stardew Valley but I at least opened it again and enjoyed it. Is same-sex marriage allowed? It looks like it is, from a glance.

Yeah, it gay.

Bier_Engel wrote:Still planning on getting a PS4 next week. What should my first game be? Ideas:

Tales of Zestria (or Berseria)
FFXV (I hated everything after X but my friends with similar tastes seem to like this one)
Nier Automata

I almost said Persona 5, oops.

I like Yakuza 0. Star Ocean didn't wow me but it's a fundamentally sound RPG. Valkyria Chronicles maybe. Nier is probably my GOTY.

Bier_Engel

Post#485 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49 pm

Is Yukuza 0 an RPG? Google says action-adventure, but action-RPGs are a thing and I don't know what modern genres even are anymore. As for Star Ocean... never liked the earlier games, so I didn't even consider the modern one. If it didn't wow you, I won't bother. If Nier is your GOTY, I think my choice is clear.

John Layfield

Post#486 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:01 pm

I think action-adventure RPG set in a "hub" enviorment in downtown Tokyo works.

Bier_Engel

Post#487 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Um, real question then: would it be too hard for someone only used to turn-based stuff?

John Layfield

Post#488 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm

There's an easy difficulty that lets you pretty much run rampant with impunity. Nier Automata is also... action-adventure RPG set in a hub area (with even more control over difficulty) so keep that in mind.

I should probably play more of the glut of actual turn-based JRPGs on PS4 but so many of them just like poor fanservice stuff these days.

Delthazar

Post#489 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:So I still have no idea what I'm doing in Stardew Valley but I at least opened it again and enjoyed it. Is same-sex marriage allowed? It looks like it is, from a glance.

One of my favourite things about Stardew Valley is there's basically no way to screw anything up, lock yourself out of content, or "play the game wrong," so you're free to experiment and kinda just do whatever in whatever order. It's extremely chill.

Abigail best girl.

I absolutely love Horizon Zero Dawn in the same way other folks seem to love Nier Automata and it might end up pushing Persona 5 out of my top GOTY slot. It just got an expansion too, plus there's a Complete version coming in early December with the expansion included for less than whatever the standard price is now. The base game also goes on sale a lot.

I'd hesitate to call it a straight-up RPG since it pulls so many little mechanics from so many different places (it probably plays the most like the new Zelda or bow-era Tomb Raider) but it does have heavy RPG elements (skill trees, lengthy conversation options, sidequest chains, etc.) It also has a ton of difficulty settings, including a Story difficulty, which I assume tunes combat down to almost nothing a la Uncharted's Explorer mode or Persona's easiest difficulty.

But mainly I'm recommending it for its story and characters and performances, all of which really took me by surprise and are among the best I've seen in ages, especially from a big budget release in a sorta-actiony genre.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#490 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Good to hear on the Complete version. I'll throw that on the ol' Christmas List, along with the FFXII Remaster.

John Layfield

Post#491 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I got a turkey in a bowling game to impress the girl at the counter but instead I won a roast turkey, except the turkey was alive and also the turkey was a chicken not a turkey and the girl wanted to snap its neck and cook it there and then because she grew up on a poultry farm but my Yakuza man decided to adopt the chicken, name it Nugget and appoint it as financial adviser of his real estate company with a salary of 300,000 Yen.

So Yakuza 0 is GOTY.

John Layfield

Post#492 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:51 pm

New forum rules.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#493 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Yeah Yakuza 0 was quite the experience, though I'm not sure I felt the compulsion to play it at any point. Watching GBeast play through was perfect for me.

Delthazar

Post#494 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Big FEH update going up tonight, might already be available. Apparently includes tons of new story content and a new original hero.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/14/1664 ... y-book-two

I totally forgot about the last voting thing.

Bier_Engel

Post#495 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Excellent!

Shanna won the last voting thing, which honestly shocked me. I figured a lot of people from the Soren crowd (like myself) probably picked her out of spite (not like myself- I went with Takumi after since I actually played his game and have him in Heroes). Oh well. The actual win bonus for the tempest trials is literally just 500 feathers, so I always vote for who I actually like, and not who I think will win. Not that there's anything wrong with Shanna, to be fair.

Loving the 10 stamina caps. Granted, I have over 200 stamina potions that I rarely bother using, but still. As for the new heroes, I'm only really familiar with Dorcas (what a dumb name, I think Dork Ass) but Lute looks awesome. I emulated Sacred Stones and never got far.

Delthazar

Post#496 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 am

I'm probably gonna burn all my orbs trying to pull a Mia. I don't really need another non-calvary red sword but her design rocks.

Speaking of free-to-play gacha things, Star Trek Timelines is on Steam now (previously Android/iOS, which is immediately apparent by the port) so I've been poking at that a bit. It's 100% another one of those games, but it's at least full of crazy deep cuts that I really appreciate as both a Trek fan and a deep cuts fan.

Like, not only is there a ton of really minor characters to collect ("Parallels" Doctor Ogawa, Mendon and/or Mordoc, that Orion dude played by WWE's Big Show, Captain Morgan FUCKING Bateson) but also a bunch of super obscure variants of major characters, some of which are pretty funny, like Shakespeare-reciting Picard, Curzon Odo, Anbo-Jytsu Riker, Mirror Tuvok, T'Pol's 1950s Grandmother - on and on and on. Everyone from Discovery is in here too, including Rainn Wilson's Harry Mudd.

Bier_Engel

Post#497 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:12 am

I'm looking forward to that 8% summoning focus on the 27th. Finally, another chance for me to get a Brave Lyn. I need nearly all the 5 star heroes being offered except 2, so even if I don't get her, I'll still get someone good, I'm sure.

HunterF
AKA "Bulma" / They call this the logical results. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#498 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Oh yeah? Well, over in Final Fantasy Land, we get to pull for Ariana Grande! Again. This makes four versions of her in the game, for those keeping count.

https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Chic_Ariana

https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Dangerous_Ariana

Delthazar

Post#499 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:14 pm

For some raisin there are like eight different Odos. And maybe ten Datas, because there are variants for just about all his holodeck characters. So if you want Wild West Data or HMS Enterprise Data or Scrooge Data, Timelines has you covered I guess.

Bier_Engel wrote:I'm looking forward to that 8% summoning focus on the 27th. Finally, another chance for me to get a Brave Lyn. I need nearly all the 5 star heroes being offered except 2, so even if I don't get her, I'll still get someone good, I'm sure.

Brave Lyn rocks. I got her summoner support rank thing up to S recently so I doubt she'll ever leave my main squad. Now I just gotta decide on a partner for her other support rank thing and build that up.

Bier_Engel

Post#500 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Watch me still not get her, even if I do what I did last time and only pick colorless :/ Or I'll get a third Bridal Cordelia :/

But I don't really plan on doing that this time, as every color has at least 2 people I really want/need, red and green having all 3.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”