CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Re: CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Post#276 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Started Persona 5. The beginning is approximately 600 hours long.

HunterF
AKA "Bulma" / They call this the logical results. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#277 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm

phpBB [video]

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#278 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:02 am

John Layfield wrote:Started Persona 5. The beginning is approximately 600 hours long.

Right!? It's worse than P4. I got it on launch day and I was super excited about it, of course, but that intro length dampened that a bit.

jingle jinxo
Sausage Never Wanders

Post#279 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:21 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
John Layfield wrote:Started Persona 5. The beginning is approximately 600 hours long.

Right!? It's worse than P4. I got it on launch day and I was super excited about it, of course, but that intro length dampened that a bit.

i still have yet to get past the first part lol but the times i do play it i get so pumped.

Bier_Engel

Post#280 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:40 pm

There's a Golden Week sale on the PSN so you can get some good Japanese games at a discount right now. I just got Suikoden III digitally for $3.49. I sold my disc many years ago, so it's nice to see it again for such a nice price. P4 Golden and DAN were also part of the sale, if anyone still needs to pick those up.

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#281 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:02 pm

Is Heroes of the Storm any good? There's an event on that drops a badass D.Va skin for Overwatch that has me pretty tempted to fire it up, but I've heard that once you catch MOBA you're stuck with if for life, or you have to call everyone you've ever played with and let them know you have MOBA, or something like that.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#282 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Jesse Cox has all sorts of complaints about HotS2, but they're mostly that they haven't really changed it enough from HotS1 to warrant the rebranding. His channel is decent to check out if you want to see some gameplay, his thoughts were like halfway through the last Cooptional Podcast.

--edit--
Here's a quick transcript from the PC Gamer podcast which I just happened to be listening to rn:
James: I sit between Lucas from GamesRadar, sorta on my right, and Bo is on my left, and Bo, the guy is like doing the Police skin where you've gotta play 10 games to get the D.Va police skin. I asked Bo the week before if he's going to get into HotS because of this and he's like "Naah no way." This week Bo's like "been playing some HotS, I've been playing some HotS" and now him and Lucas are like playing--
Tom: Playing during lunch.
James: Fucking yeah.
Tom: Yep.
James: All day, HotS HotS HotS HotS
Tom: It worked, yeah. They had this scheme of "lets open up the skins, lets make all the cosmetics easier to get, and give you lots of loot boxes", and "lets lure lots of Overwatch players over with this fun D.Va skin"... and it worked.

So yeah, looks like there are hooks that might pull you under if you give it a try. If you don't have much else going on game-wise, perhaps it is a good time.

Deltron
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#283 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 pm

ugggghhh I'm gonna catch MOBA, ugggghhh I'm gonna turn into Brad

I already spent too much time on MMOs, damnit! I've served my nickel!

e: that said, supposedly the Overwatch skins in HOTS are gonna wind up as normal lootbox contents in Overwatch-actual eventually anyway (partially for the benefit of console players who don't have HOTS access) so maybe I'll just wait this one out... even if that goddamned skin is really, really great. Grr.

(might be moot 'cause it's a 14GB install I don't really have the room or bandwidth for)

Deltron

Post#284 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:20 pm

The skin in question

phpBB [video]

(I missed out on that hilarious selfie highlight intro and I'm a bit salty about that)

random Overwatch things: please to be enjoying further i hanjo adventures at the bottom of the skill barrel

phpBB [video]

he hanjo, we all hanjo

On the topic of hilariously bad players (just not on purpose with these ones) this is probably still the best compilation video.

phpBB [video]

Deltron

Post#285 » Fri May 12, 2017 3:47 pm

Alan Wake is about to vanish from online marketplaces due to expiring music licenses, so grab it soon if you've somehow had your eye on it all these years but never pulled the trigger.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/ ... rom-steam/

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#286 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Does this only affect purchasing, or am I SOL if my PC can't handle it now?

Edit: RPS says you can still download after the 15th as long as you've purchased it before that date.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#287 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:24 am

Yeah it seems it's just the purchase that has to happen before the deadline. It would be a whole other can of worms if music licenses expiring meant you couldn't even install games anymore.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#288 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:03 am

Ooh, Blue Mary! Nice.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#289 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:01 pm

I failed at shopping the hat onto Terry's hat, otherwise I might have gone for the double :pac

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#290 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Sega is planning to revive "Major IPs?"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega- ... 0-6450041/

Hmm...I am hoping this doesn't lead to great disappointment.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot there was a Gaming News thread. Del, feel free to move if you wish.

Deltron

Post#291 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Eh, doesn't matter really.

Sega's been doing pretty well for themselves lately. They could probably dig up a few old chestnuts from their back catalog and do 'em upright without much trouble, it's just a matter of what they consider "major" and/or "inactive."

As long as no one's building up impossible expectations I wouldn't worry too much about any seriously big disappointments. Like, no one should be under any illusions that Phantasy Star V will ever happen, but I could see a new Shining Force becoming a thing thanks to how big Fire Emblem is all of a sudden.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#292 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:35 pm

I'll tell you one thing: I would pay a LOT of money for a new Skies of Arcadia if it were somehow guaranteed to be a good game. Still my #1 pick for most unfortunate one-and-done in gaming.

Deltron

Post#293 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Skies is something I'm surprised hasn't been HD-ified for a Steam release yet, considering a bunch of Dreamcast stuff already made that transition, including oddball picks like Bass Fishing and Space Channel 5, which probably didn't sell any better or worse than Skies. Though maybe the Steam ports didn't move enough to justify the remastering cost. That's deceptively expensive work.

I think we'll see more revivals of smaller scale Sega properties, for a lack of a better term. A new Skies would be a huge project if it's anything like the original. Sonic Mania and that new Monster Boy thing might be closer to what Sega has in mind.

Deltron

Post#294 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:58 pm

I dunno if Jet Set Radio should be at the top of the list, but its concept and aesthetic and especially that soundtrack is pretty timeless, so I'd love to see a new one. A new Comix Zone would be a glorious sight with full HD sprites but who knows if the name alone would be enough to sell it. Fantasy Zone has been gone a long time and I always loved the look of it. Games like Abzu kinda prove that a new Ecco could work, too.

True Perception

Post#295 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Deltron wrote:do 'em upright

Nice reference, bro!

Bier_Engel

Post#296 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Just ordered FE:Echoes. Heard it was great, and discovered that I'd save about $13 buying it now since Amazon Prime's pre-order discount apparently still applies 2 weeks *after* a game's release, too, and for some raisin my Amazon Move promo also applies to video games and that saved me another $4. Whatever. Not ready to play it yet but at least I got it at a discount for when I am. I still need to download Revelations...

Deltron

Post#297 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 am

Horizon Zero Dawn is fantastic. Anyone with a PS4 should just pull the trigger and play it already.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post#298 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 am

So, Tom finished Life is Strange.....it's.....strange. I still say it really should be called "Hipster: The Game", but it definitely had a weird ending. I don't want to get too spoilerific in case anyone else is playing it (it was the free game on PSN recently). But yeah...weird.

Deltron

Post#299 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:43 am

Episode 5 definitely amps up the weirdness.

Max and the LiS cast ain't got nothin' on real Oregon hipsters though. Sure you got yer polaroid cameras and occasional references to vinyl records, but no coffee obsession, no unicycles, no top-knots, not a single Iron & Wine mountainman beard in sight? That's like, 2/5 on the Pacific Northwest hipster scale, at best. Simply being self-aware and self-deprecating about your hipsterness will knock you down a point on its own, too.

Deltron

Post#300 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:15 pm

The more I play Horizon, the more I think this might be the mythical jank-free open world sandbox some folks assumed was impossible to make just a couple years ago.

Hopefully getting this and Breath of the Wild basically simultaneously will open a lot of eyes elsewhere. I can't speak first-hand for Zelda just yet, but a lot of what Horizon does, from its rock-solid stability to QOL systems, should probably be in the next Elder Scrolls/Fallout-level RPG juggernaut.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”