[SMT/Persona] Lu Bu wants to Scramble

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Re: [SMT/Persona] Joker wants to Smash

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm

I love the art, but ouch, Kotaku:
The Mother 3 inspiration is a nice touch, too, since both it and this fantasy remake have about the same chance of coming out in America.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Heh, feels like there's a 100% chance of even more Mother-inspired games coming out a la Undertale than Nintendo ever really doing anything with Mother itself.

for instance, here's one I just read about called Heartbound

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... ss-review/

and YIIK probably also carries the influence, just not as explicitly front-and-center artwise

https://www.pcgamer.com/surreal-indie-r ... ext-month/

(maybe just as much Persona in YIIK also)

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Hmm, I'll check those out soon.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 pm

YIIK just came out and reviews seem extremely mixed so uhh maybe that one's skippable. Mostly it sounds like the lead character is kinda intolerable and drags the whole game down with him.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Yeah I read that review too. RIP

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:07 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/31 ... rs-edition

The west is getting PQ2 on June 4th. I'm so happy there's a date now, because I was getting worried. I'm not surprised at all that they're not dubbing it, though, especially after the Strange Journey remake, and because assembling the English casts of 3 Persona games plus the new side characters would be an expensive and time-consuming ordeal.

As soon as it's on Amazon, I'm pre-ordering the special edition of this sucker.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:28 pm

Notabohr is slowly but steadily grinding his way through P5. He really likes it so far! I wonder if he'll be compelled to travel back through the series.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Persona 4 Golden would be an easy step backwards, I think, since it has a lot of the same QOL stuff as P5. But the older games never quite got the same amount of TLC, so if it's the gameplay Nota is digging the most, going all the way back to P3 and earlier might be a little frustrating.

It has no story connection to Persona, but if you dudes have a Wii U laying around, try to find a copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Atlus developed TMS concurrently with P5 and it shares a lot of the same systems and aesthetics.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:07 pm
The west is getting PQ2 on June 4th. I'm so happy there's a date now, because I was getting worried. I'm not surprised at all that they're not dubbing it, though, especially after the Strange Journey remake, and because assembling the English casts of 3 Persona games plus the new side characters would be an expensive and time-consuming ordeal.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last huge crossover game for the same raisin. Going forward, like if there's a new Arena or something, I gotta figure it'll have to be scaled back a lot, like just the P4 and P5 folks, or just P5 entirely with maybe one or two very carefully selected guests.

Gotta imagine the Troy Baker situation with Vesperia also applies here, maybe several times over, depending on whether or not Baker is the only one who suddenly commands a much higher price than they did in the 00s.

also maybe now that Yakuza games are selling super well in English territories Sega/Atlus might be more comfortable with the idea of the Japanese-only voice tracks. the lack of a dub hasn't mattered one bit with those games so far.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I could be mistaken but it seems like Persona 4 got several re-releases and mini-facelifts, and I wasn't sure which was the "definitive" version.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:29 pm

Persona 4 Golden was the only P4 re-release and is considered the definitive version.

Anything else with P4 characters and branding (the fighting games, the dancing game, PersonaQ, etc.) is just a spinoff and doesn't really matter unless you get super hooked and wanna deep dive. I dunno if their stories are even strictly canonical, but maybe Blutes can clear that up.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:02 pm

Oh geez, hard to say. PQ1 has the whole, "you'll never remember any of this once you're back in your own timeline" BS (along with the P3/5 dancing games being "just a dream brought on by Elizabeth and you won't remember when you wake up") so it's a gray area. Canon-ish, like it happened, but no one remembers so those are mostly just a deeper look at the characters and their friendships, and don't add anything to the understanding of the plots of the mainline games aside from that.

At least the P4 dancing game and arena games happen after the P4 timeline and are not dreams, so those I'd definitely consider canon, as they remember the events. But since they occur after, you don't need to play them in order to enjoy P4 itself.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:25 am

I find myself slightly addicted to DX2 now that I have a phone capable of running it better. A little better. It still feels sluggish even on a device at least three times more powerful than my last one, so I chalk that up to poor optimization. I hope they keep patching 'cause it's a perfectly cromulent game otherwise.

Still agree with yer old posts re: DX2's UI though, it's a bit too busy and all over the place, the stylistic touches are nice but also distracting, and maybe contributing to the performance issues. Plus this Galaxy's screen is much larger than my previous phone, so I have to stretch my hand a lot more to hit UI elements sometimes 'cause yeah, it's all sprawled out everywhere. I wonder if they want people running this on tablets.

Anyway. When I started it up again it was right in the middle of a Bayonetta crossover event (featuring "Bayonetta" from the Bayonetta series) so now I have Bayonetta in my party, so that's weird. There's an event coming up in a week or two crossing over with the new Devil May Cry, too. (Featuring "Nero" from the Devil May Cry series.) In general it looks like there's a ton more content but since I barely played for more than a week last year, how would I know for sure, I dunno.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:35 am

also uhh anyone order a bunch of Sanrio Persona merch

https://personacentral.com/sanrio-desig ... announced/

(I did, it was me)

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am

Hmm, yeah if they didn't fix those UI or performance issues, it's safe to say I won't be going back. Also not interested in crossovers, so I'm hoping Heroes never does that.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Poking at Dx2 is making me wonder if I have another Nocturne run in me or if I'm too old and broken. I should probably just wait for SMTV. But.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 am

I'm at the end of Nocturne. I quit because I wanted the true ending with the optional dungeon cleared, but the Dante chase was too stressful for me and I couldn't do it. I could get the regular ending, but I'm bummed out. Last time I went back to it to attempt the regular ending, my PS3 froze. I took that as a hint and moved on.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:50 am

I tried that Dante chase and flubbed it constantly. C'mon, Atlus, like the regular Labyrinth wasn't hard enough already...

You could always get a cheapo 3DS and play SMT IV. It was pretty good.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:27 am

So the big announcement was... a new female character that looks similar to P3P's femc (no idea if she's actually an alternate protagonist or not) and basically hey, wait another month.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 am

Yes, but can she romance Kawakami..?

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:43 am

If they had a gay femc, would Atlus still be legally required to make her a Lisping Gay Danger trope?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:38 pm

she's a Shujin student with a sorta generic protagonist-y look, so that's maybe a good sign for FemMC fans and hopefuls, plus I feel like that teaser is showing her off in a similar way to the original protag, or at least using the same locations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygyz3Mqjh0k

but I suppose she could just be a far more restrained Marie-ish new S-Link character with an unusually focused teaser trailer for an actual trailer a month later. dunno why they'd bother, but I've looong since forgotten how Marie was revealed before P4G came out. maybe she only got an art dump in Famitsu or something.

anyway, a whole new story route via a FemMC or whatever else equivalent is probably what it'll take for me to take on another P5 run. it's just too damn long, I couldn't even close out my first NG+

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 pm

look for Smash of all things for clues or answers, maybe. Smash dataminers supposedly found a bunch of alternate costumes for Joker labeled "JANE" which maybe doesn't make sense unless they're FemMC stuff.

I don't remember the launch date for Joker in Smash but I kinda thought it was April. They might end up doing full P5R reveals at the same time. if a Switch port really exists, so much the better.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:53 pm

TRIPLE POST

Translation notes at Gematsu could point towards a new antagonist character, or a FemMC with a much different origin.

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/persona-5-t ... ed-for-ps4

I still think her design is way more in keeping with a playable character than a villain though, especially considering this series' history with antagonists, most of 'em are pretty flashy unless they were meant to be lategame surprises, and even those look the part.

The P3P protagonists shared the same backstory with no changes, right? I'm not sure if they'd really need a straight-up rewrite to make a P5 FemMC work, they could probably get away with just a slight readjustment in a couple cutscenes. But a new protag who comes in as kind of a rogue element and eventually integrates would be more interesting.

(plus she's got a backpack just large enough for a talking narcoleptic cat, just saying)

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:28 pm

It's amazing that I'm already seeing cosplay photos of the new girl...