[SMT/Persona] Lu Bu wants to Scramble

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [SMT/Persona] 3 Ain't Enough, Man. I Need 5

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 am

Some Mementos weirdness and/or S-Link weirdness.
Spoiler :
I've insta-killed three shadow encounters in a row from ambushes, which is probably thanks to Ryuji's Rank 7 ability, but that insta-kill rate seems awfully high and Ryuji's not even in my active combat party, so I wonder if that's normal behaviour or an effect of the rainy season on Mementos or because I'm ambushing low-level shadows or some combination of all these things. Also, I get a mask every time it happens which is kinda insane.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 am

Ryuji's the only one I've got that high. I wonder if the same thing will happen to me.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:51 am

HunterF wrote:And yeah, that third boss was way easy. Strange, since his dungeon was so hard. I actually turned the difficulty down after the game decided to be cheap and cost me an hour's worth of progress, twice, and then I just roflstomped the boss. May have to turn it back up.
Don't worry, the 4th boss gets hard again (mostly because it hits really hard and I didn't have anything with Mediarama yet) but the dungeon wasn't as bad, in my opinion. Also, it's in two stages, so don't be like me and waste a Balm of Life at the end of the first part, since everyone gets full health when it resumes.
Deltron wrote:Some Mementos weirdness and/or S-Link weirdness.
Spoiler :
I've insta-killed three shadow encounters in a row from ambushes, which is probably thanks to Ryuji's Rank 7 ability, but that insta-kill rate seems awfully high and Ryuji's not even in my active combat party, so I wonder if that's normal behaviour or an effect of the rainy season on Mementos or because I'm ambushing low-level shadows or some combination of all these things. Also, I get a mask every time it happens which is kinda insane.
I had similar questions... it didn't happen to me before I got that ability, and he is in my active party. However, I've got a heat wave, not the rainy season, so I don't think it's the weather.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm guessing it must be related to enemy levels. I got all ambush insta-kills throughout Mementos on my last run with the exception of one higher level enemy which just went into a normal battle.

Could be a good way to farm missing personas for the compendium later on.

Now this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWQFnC2zqU

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Start of the Fortune S-Link:
Spoiler :
I'm never getting that 100k back am I. :(
Chariot Rank 8:
Spoiler :
Might be the first time I've seen an anime or game character drop the "hit me if it'll make you feel better" line and actually get his bluff called. :pac :
Random funny bit in mid-July
Spoiler :
Yusuke looking into Medjed and going off on a long-ass textstorm about Egypt made me laugh way more than it probably should've.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 am

No (granted I'm not far in myself but I'm assuming no), indeed, and Yusuke is a national treasure.

I just started September...
Spoiler :
Futaba's even cuter than I thought she'd be. I wasn't expecting her backstory to be majorly involved with the overall plot, either. Also, I knew I liked Sojiro based on how he treated Morgana in the beginning, but he gets even better. He's much better than Dojima as a guardian character.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Wow, I thought Futaba was cute before, but on 8/23... Clearly Futaba is best girl.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:00 pm

"My children..."

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:17 pm

The quick glimpse of Futaba
Spoiler :
when everyone snuck into Sojiro's house, and how she sometimes inserted herself into your phone chats
was really fun. I got a lot of catching up to do though.

So is anyone else starting to feel like P5 has the best S-Links in the series? Specifically for the non-party characters. They've all been super entertaining so far, standing a good chance of being way more memorable than a lot of the older stuff, and they all seem to have super useful rank abilities.
Spoiler :
Like, getting Tae up to Rank 5 is clutch since it opens up the badass SP restorative accessories, and Rank 7 is also amazing because it cuts the cost of those accessories in half. The first ability you get from Hifumi lets you swap party members IN BATTLE which is kind of a massive addition to the Persona combat system. Ohya can help bring the alert levels down, the Bernie Sanders guy can get your more yens in negotiations, Mishima boosts EXP gain, on and on and on...

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm

I kinda wish it was less useful, actually. Too many Thor damned links to work on. It wouldn't be so bad if Morgana would just shut the fuck up and let me go do stuff, but nOoOoOoOo...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:54 pm

I can't figure out the password to my Photobucket so click this link XD

And yeah, I really like the confidants with benefits ;) I'm at a roadblock for a lot of them though since my social stats aren't high enough, and I'm really worried about being able to finish most of them. I knew this run wouldn't be perfect, but with all the days spent on plot and social stat boosting, I feel very behind.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm

All right! Operation "Bang All The Hot Older Ladies" is a go!
Spoiler :
Kawakami
has been secured.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Whoa, the SP accessories stack with my Neko Shogun's Invigorate skill. That's pretty nice.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 pm

Just beat the fourth boss.
Spoiler :
Heh, I love how Futaba got to say goodbye to her mom, then immediately she's like, "oh yeah, Medjed. I know how to use the Nav now. PEACE!" and just walks off screen.

Then everyone runs down the side of a pyramid and jumps right into a catbus sphincter.
This game's pretty great.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:59 am

I've got the 5th dungeon unlocked, but haven't tried to make progress in it yet, since I've got some time to hopefully build social skills and more links. I maxed the moon link, at least.

Regarding Haru:
Spoiler :
She's definitely an airhead but I feel sorry for her. The game literally has a countdown until she's "sold off." Thor, it's like the Middle Ages.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 pm

HunterF wrote:Wow, I thought Futaba was cute before, but on 8/23... Clearly Futaba is best girl.
"Don't worry about it."

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm not tired!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Heh, Yusuke.
Spoiler :
Beach hoodie, wandering off at just the right time, and returning with two live lobsters for some raisin, all solid stuff.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:17 am

Moon Rank 5 (I think)
Spoiler :
HI I'M MISHIMA LET'S CHAT AT THE DINER HEY LOOK AT THIS HYPERREALISTIC MODEL GUN AT THE DINER WHICH I'M JUST GONNA PULL OUT AND LEAVE ON THE TABLE HERE AT THE DINER
Death Rank 7/8
Spoiler :
It's interesting how some of the S-Links open up Mementos targets. Tae is the only non-party link I've ranked this far, so I wonder if this is gonna be a recurring thing, or if this and Chihaya's intro are as far as it goes. Could complicate both the S-Link completion cheevo and the Requests completion cheevo if there are too many.
Makoto's S-Link... 5 or maybe 6
Spoiler :
Goddamn that's a high Charm gate they want me to clear. There's more social stats prereqs in general across a lot of links, but this is probably the biggest since Mitsuru in P3. Between this and Tae's Charm gate and Futaba being a somewhat late recruit with her own huge Kindness prereq, maybe this is how I end up accidentally dating Ann. :pac
School trip stuff
Spoiler :
Speaking of dating, my only options for hanging out on the last day in Hawaii were Ryuji and Makoto, so obviously I went with Makoto, but I wonder if there's even other possibilities? I answered "mysterious" on Ann's question the night before but would that necessarily flag Makoto's text message the next day?

The game so far has made a fairly noticeable habit of putting the MC and Makoto together a lot so I wonder if she's supposed to be the default love interest.

Hawaii was a cool choice. Americans in Persona apparently all talk like Cyrano Jones trying to sell tribbles to poor space station bartenders.
Major spoilers for September up to the 15th
Spoiler :
RIP Principal Blob. Dude looked like a vector face copypasted on a goomba head.

"Well, any tension in this scene just went out the window." I enjoyed the fuck out of that Morgana "showdown" bit. Maybe because I expected I'd have to get all the way through a Palace just to rescue him and get the usual teary reunion and whatever else, which is totally what a lesser RPG would've done, but P5 took such a hard left turn away from that right off the bat and I loved it.

I've felt pretty bad for Morgana lately too, so getting a bit of comic relief in the middle is nice, though I totally expect it'll get serious again sooner or later.
Just a thought about Mementos
Spoiler :
I wonder if getting to the bottom is an alternate ending trigger like it was with the Labyrinth of Amala in Nocturne.
Futaba continues to be amazing but that's no spoiler.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:51 am

You've caught up to me, then. I didn't really have time to play yesterday and I won't much today, either.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 am

Deltron wrote: School trip stuff
Spoiler :
Speaking of dating, my only options for hanging out on the last day in Hawaii were Ryuji and Makoto, so obviously I went with Makoto, but I wonder if there's even other possibilities? I answered "mysterious" on Ann's question the night before but would that necessarily flag Makoto's text message the next day?

The game so far has made a fairly noticeable habit of putting the MC and Makoto together a lot so I wonder if she's supposed to be the default love interest.

Hawaii was a cool choice. Americans in Persona apparently all talk like Cyrano Jones trying to sell tribbles to poor space station bartenders.
I got to hang out with
Spoiler :
Kawakami
, and let's just say, sex on the beach isn't just a drink anymore.
Spoiler :
Actually, it's been pretty vague about that stuff. Just a fade to black, and a "You spent time with..." message.
I choose to believe, however.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 am

Since we've all gotten there, I won't bother with the spoiler tag: I also picked mysterious and got Makoto, but I chose to hang with the guys instead. Those were my only options. Never thought of her as mysterious myself, though.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:12 am

I also chose mysterious, and got Mokoto as an option. Didn't choose her, cuz, ya know...