[RPGMaker] Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Re: [Gaming News] + Upcoming Games + General Games Chat

Post#1 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 pm

There's an RPG maker humble bundle deal going on. I'm waffling on it because part of me has always wanted RPG maker, but I also know I have little time and skill to actually create a game. Worth it?

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:38 pm

RPG Maker is quite good in that it's only as complicated as you want it to be. Place some characters and making buildings, use the default battle system and packaged resources and you can have a lot of fun just messing around.

I'd advise anyone with even a cursory interest in RPGs or the creation of such to pick it up exceedingly cheap in the humble bundle.

Bier_Engel

Post#3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Cool, thanks! Just picked up the $15 bundle. Holy shit, it's a lot for $15 and I'm still not even halfway done downloading everything. I'll check out the actual software tomorrow and probably just making something fun and small as a test/practice thing.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#4 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Bier_Engel

Post#5 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:40 pm

I support that, actually. Unlike high school, I'd be in a group of people I actually like, and we're not getting graded! I'm seriously on board.

John Layfield

Post#6 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

I'd certainly collab on a low-ambition fun little game.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:26 am

I'm tempted to get MV, but $50 is a tad high for me at the moment. Maybe I'll grab the VX Ace stuff and wait for MV to drop below $50 on another sale... though that tier also has other useful stuff. Hmm.

Have you used MV, John? How does VX Ace compare? Is all this art/audio asset packs interchangeable between Maker versions? Is there any particular benefit to having older Makers like 2000 and 2003?

John Layfield

Post#8 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 am

All art and audio is interchangable, yeah. It's all PNG and OGG files for the most part (it accepts MP3s as well, but Enterbrain uses OGG for the looping features), so it's just a matter of importing it (or literally dragging and dropping stuff in windows explorer into the relevant folder). Some of the older art may need some minor resizing as MV is more designed for modern resolutions than VX Ace.

RPG Maker MV is nice and has a lot of QoL improvements over VX Ace. Less slow down, more options for resolution changing, better character and map generator and the like. But I'd definitely go with VX Ace for now, just because of the price and the fact that it has 5+ years of support, tutorials, resources, scripts and so on. MV simply doesn't have the same level of support yet due to being newer.

Older makers? Not really, unless you have nostalgia for them or are big into the exact way their toolsets work. I guess the default audio stuff there might be worth it alone, if it were cheap enough. But they put those out as later asset packs too, I think. Grognards like them because they know them inside and out over almost 20 years.

EDIT: OH! VX Ace does not have native side-view battle support, I believe. But you can use scripts to replicate it if the old Dragon Quest first person thing is a huge no-no.

John Layfield

Post#9 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 pm

I did this in VX Ace some two years ago.. I have no proficiency in the coding language of VX Ace scripts, using only scripts made by other folk and tutorials. Just as an example, like.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#10 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 am

The nostalgia is strong in that demo.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#11 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:13 pm

Not bad! Even if Konami never does another Suikoden game, it'd be nice if they were willing to farm out the license to someone else.

Delthazar

Post#12 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Probably not gonna happen. Companies aren't usually in the business of putting their IP out on loan, even if it's inactive, as some fans discover the hard way whenever they try to use "but they aren't doing anything with it" as a legal excuse in copyright cases.

Suikoden is dead and will stay dead until Konami decides otherwise. That said, a model for a pretty obvious new niche for Suikoden already exists and it's called Fire Emblem Heroes. :shh

John Layfield

[RPGMaker] Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Post#13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Humble Bundle deal on RPG Maker is almost over, so I hope those here who considered it ended up spending 1 (one) dollar to grab VX Ace at least.

Bier_Engel

Post#14 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 am

I got the $15 bundle and have proceeded not to touch most of it. Granted, I have no idea what I'm doing with the software.

Delthazar

Post#15 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:54 am

Same at $15. I really want MV for all its modernization and QOL touches but I'll grab it next time it goes on sale.

VX Ace and MV are probably similar enough that I can learn with one and jump to the other later, yeah? Plus a quick googling suggests there are ways to port projects over.

Also I guess RPGMaker runs through Steam? Maybe I'll just download the standalone version, or turn Steam Friends off forever.

John Layfield

Post#16 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 am

Yeah, VX Ace and MV are similar enough learning one is definitely a boon to using the other.

If anyone needs any help, I'm always around. It's very WYSIWYG, especially on a surface level with placing NPCs, battles, music, etc.

The Steam versions of RPG Maker do indeed run through Steam.

>2017
>Not having Steam Friends automatically off
>mfw

Delthazar

Post#17 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:43 am

Oh yeah, you mentioned battle systems a while back. I really dislike the old first-person Dragon Quest approach, but I'd definitely settle for an over-the-shoulder look a la Phantasy Stars II and IV if that's possible via scripting, though I imagine it would require a lot of unique art resources.

John Layfield

Post#18 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:09 am

If you want a relatively easy classic FF style side-view (same character sprites in battle as outside), try this copypasta script: https://yanflychannel.wordpress.com/rmv ... -battlers/

You could also edit the variables and rotation so that it's a rear view similar to Phantasy Star of old.

Yanfly in general has a lot of neat scripts. Some of which rely on each other, but they're usually pretty clear about when that's the case.

Delthazar

Re: [RPGMaker] Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Post#19 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Thread split 'cause this seems worthy of its own conversation.

Has anyone played any of the finished games in the bundle? It would be neat to check some of 'em out just to see what the engine is capable of at full production.

John Layfield

Post#20 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm thinking of delving into them a little tonight. There was a really cool looking steampunk-ish one I played a while back but I forget the name. If I remember it, I'll post it.

Sleeper hit LISA, which has a GB QL here is an RPG Maker production (RM 2003), as is To the Moon, which has a review here by Alex (RM XP).

Delthazar

Post#21 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Oh yeah, I picked up Learn Japanese To Survive: Hiragana Battle not too long ago, which was also made with RPGMaker. So between that and LISA and other stuff I'm forgetting it definitely seems totally possible to bend this thing completely out of shape with the right scripting.

Maybe I should've learned Java. :pacdown

e: To The Moon also got a fair amount of attention. (e: grr, nice ninja edit up there)

John Layfield

Post#22 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Yeah, I've also seen action RPGs akin to Link to the Past or Alundra made in RPG Maker, which absolutely does not have that functionality built in. Same re: Fire Emblem-style tactical RPGs.

Delthazar

Post#23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:37 pm

I guess the bundle inspired some articles. This one looks like a good read.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-histo ... eputation/

Suikoden gets a shoutout in exactly the way you might expect.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#24 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Yup. :pac

But yeah, if any of these iterations were especially user-friendly, I might be up for giving it a try.

John Layfield

Post#25 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 pm

VX Ace is probably *the* most user friendly but all of them are pretty intuitive takes on the same concept.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”