[Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:56 pm

let's light this candle

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Nice!

Byleth's actually silent except in battle, and I haven't done many battles yet, so yeah, so far it seems like it'll actually be very easy to replace all his lines (I picked the female protag, though, so I don't even know what he sounds like). People are speculating that the lunatic difficulty update will come with the new voice.

Speaking of which, I got my "free" Byleth. Voice actor's name is a dashed line rather than a name, so I guess the update with the new voice isn't in there yet. I haven't leveled him yet either, since of course, I was only able to get him *after* my copy of 3H arrived. My female Byleth still needs SP for Fury 4 and I need to figure out a support skill, but I fully leveled her today before my game arrived.

And in more Heroes news, I was bored during one of the videos Mike wanted to watch tonight (Friday is our Youtube night) so I decided to pull for Edlegard since I chose her house for real now. After 38 orbs, I got... Lugh. Already got him from a free ticket back when he was new. Granted, this one has slightly better IVs. I could merge him to rid my old one of the -atk bane, or I can fodder him for the rally up skill. Also has mirror stance, and some C skill that helps something or other when rallies are used (but of course, I can't inherit all levels of both that and the unique rallies at once, so that sucks). Merging him seems like a waste since I never use him. Not sure what to inherit, or who is a good candidate for those options. I considered Soren, but I feel like I throw a lot of shit into him with no coherent plan already.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 pm

I've barely scratched the surface and I'm already 100% into this soundtrack. Are all FE OSTs this good? The spacey remix of the usual FE main theme owns, whatever this ambient piece is after the opening cinematic owns.

Going with a lady Byleth as well, and also
Spoiler :
I'm a ghost.
e: huh
Spoiler for more minor character creation stuff :
I put in my real birthday, which in FEspeak is Garland Moon, and Sothis is totally surprised, claiming to have the same birthday

...does that happen no matter what birthday you enter, or did I just luck out?
e: rollin' Normal Classic to rekindle that XCOM Ironman feeling

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 pm

oh yeah, house choice: I'm rollin' Golden Deer for my first run. I had always expected to slam-pick Edel's house, but Claude's pretty chill and I like the concept of the Leicester Alliance more than the other two countries, even if Leonie strikes me as the only real must-have student in the Golden Deer so far.

Lorenz seems like he might suck but hooooly shit there's no way he can suck more than Sylvain, right? that dude parked right at the Blue Lions classroom entrance should be enough to make any new professor turn around and walk back out the door

(def gonna poach the shit outta Black Eagles though assuming that's not super hard to pull off)

also kinda rolled Golden Deer just to find out what Austin's alluding to

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/statu ... 22432?s=20

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:00 am

Delthazar wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:14 pm
e: huh
Spoiler for more minor character creation stuff :
I put in my real birthday, which in FEspeak is Garland Moon, and Sothis is totally surprised, claiming to have the same birthday

...does that happen no matter what birthday you enter, or did I just luck out?
Spoiler :
I also put in my own birthday and she did that, so I think that always happens. Byleth is clearly linked to Sothis somehow
And yeah, I was considering Claude but I felt all of his minor classmates were mediocre and all of the guys were ugly. Leonie seemed like the only good one.

Speaking of Sylvain, I was able to recruit him right away. Not sure if everyone can recruit him right away, or if it's due to my Byleth's innate strengths (which I think is tied to the birthday you put in).

E: Forgot to answer that soundtrack question. Most are pretty good, but this definitely excels so far. Radiant Dawn's is great, and Fates has a few gems hiding among a bunch of mediocre tracks. I like Shadow Dragon's and NMotE's too.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:13 am

I really dig how Petra's dialogue gets across her being a foreigner still learning the local language but without relying on a bad accent or something, so I'm hoping to snipe her from the Eagles as soon as I can. I think I also like Bernadette a lot more than I expected. On the other end, Dorothea isn't quite moving the needle for me yet.

I'm not sure about the Blue Lions roster, I'll need more time to mingle.

heh, kinda wish there was a sports-style character draft and trading phase. I'd swap Marianne or Lorenz or Ignatz for just about anyone above in a second.

e: oh, I'm sure you probably noticed, but the game case has a reversible cover.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Yeah, Petra, Bernadetta, and Dorothea are all great. Bernadetta ends up being my MVP a lot (fighter, specializing in bows), and she's the typical under dog kind of character, in that if you put time into her, her growths are excellent. Dorothea is a kick-ass mage. I've got Petra as a myrmidon with swords and bows.

I'm liking Hubert and Linhardt a lot more than expected too. Not just in battle, but because they're sassy mages. I have a type XD Robbie Daymond is also a perfect casting choice for Hubert.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:51 pm

thinkin' about them student goals. do you find yerself emphasizing existing strengths and interests, or going more for hidden talents? I've got a couple students in the Golden Deer whom I could build in surprising and possibly hilarious directions 'cause of the latter, but I wonder if I should bolster their default leanings first before I start diverging into wacky gimmick builds.

I love the idea of turning Hilda's lazy socialite ass into a heavy armour unit and making her tank for my whole squad, for instance :pac

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:41 pm

I've been mostly going with what they're already good at. Though now I'm at the point where most people have their preferred weapons in the C range and those ranks leveling up just fine due to use in battle, and C rank weapons aren't even sold yet, so I'm focusing on flying/riding/armor for those people now... but also not re-classing until their beginner level class learns its skill, so I only have infantry units still. I'm taking their suggestions and just switching things whenever they come to me, too.

Also, you can choose to only focus on one thing at a time to earn points faster for that thing. Didn't know that until Bernadetta wanted to drop the other weapon.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Just a general comment on Edelgard's past and not a real spoiler, per se:
Spoiler :
It's really fucking dark, holy shit. Now I can see how she becomes her time skip version of herself.
Also, I was excited about being able to date women as female Byleth but I cannot believe how much Hubert is growing on me. I think he'll end up being my S support. I get perfect tea parties with him every time while I have to reset a million times with some others.

Speaking of, I see what you mean about you not liking Dorothea as much as you thought, Del. She dislikes cats. What a fucking monster. (To be fair, I still like her in battle and everything, but yeah, she doesn't like the cat conversation starter during tea). Meanwhile, Petra does. Petra is best girl.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:46 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:59 pm
I decided to pull for Edlegard since I chose her house for real now. After 38 orbs, I got... Lugh.
Did a yolo summon and after 9 orbs I got a dupe Rhajaht. I feel like this game is telling me to give up right now. At least she has decent skills, though? Still open to recommendations.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:19 am

Bier_Engel wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:41 pm
Though now I'm at the point where most people have their preferred weapons in the C range and those ranks leveling up just fine due to use in battle, and C rank weapons aren't even sold yet, so I'm focusing on flying/riding/armor for those people now... but also not re-classing until their beginner level class learns its skill, so I only have infantry units still.
yeah, this is basically where I'm at too. thinking I'm gonna build at least Claude and Leonie into riders eventually, and the project to make an axe-murdering armour tank out of Hilda is progressing nicely. Raphael's also gonna get armour, but he's gonna continue to be a punchman.

since you can assign two people each week for stable duty, weeding, etc. I find myself not really planning to develop more than two riders/flyer/armours at a time - at least not before I go recruiting, anyway.
Bier_Engel wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:26 pm
Speaking of, I see what you mean about you not liking Dorothea as much as you thought, Del. She dislikes cats. What a fucking monster. (To be fair, I still like her in battle and everything, but yeah, she doesn't like the cat conversation starter during tea). Meanwhile, Petra does. Petra is best girl.
Our monastery is crawling with cats, I love it. Petra might take me a while to recruit with her stat requirements but she's at the top of my list.

There's definitely a few characters who kinda own in combat but don't do much for me otherwise, or actively grate. I'll probably leave the jury out on Dorothea 'til I do a Black Eagles run or recruit her, but in the Golden Deer, Marianne does some serious Faith work for me in combat, is surprisingly lucky at dodging melee attacks, and... her personality is just the fucking worst. We get it girl, you hate yourself. See a professional. Doesn't this military academy have counselors?

But there's also characters I'd never expect to like who are growing on me, also in part because of how well they're developing on the field. Lysithea is turning into a walking magic nuke, she's learned probably twice as much raisin magic (e: lol, filter) as anyone else in the same amount of time, even before I focused her goals to just raisin. Ain't an amazing personality, but also ain't a horrorshow.

Lorenz and Ignatz, though, I dunno what to do with those guys, they're falling through the cracks, probably doomed to be middling generalists on the field and basic dullards off. Lorenz is just a low-rent Virion with a Vulcan bowl cut. Ignatz is one of those mid-game Persona S-Links you always forget exists. zzz
Bier_Engel wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:46 pm
Did a yolo summon and after 9 orbs I got a dupe Rhajaht. I feel like this game is telling me to give up right now. At least she has decent skills, though? Still open to recommendations.
I can't remember if I finished my Rhajat build. All I really remember is she's naturally anti-calvary, so adding anything that complements that is probably a strong choice. Maybe one of the Smokes, maybe anything that slows movement down, or Close Counter for when the horsies aren't respecting her personal space.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 am

Oh yeah, how are you spending yer free days? Do you double-up on any of the options, or just do one of each?

So far to me I think it makes the most sense to spend the first free day each month exploring, then kinda roll the dice on battle/seminar/rest, but there's definitely times I wonder if exploring the monastery twice a month instead of just once has stronger benefits.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Since I've been playing a while I do finally have some cavalry and flying units. Canto movement is back and I was so excited to find that out, but I keep forgetting about it when I move XD I finally took a look at the master classes that exist and now I have a plan of how to build everyone. Should have done that sooner... but I was kind of getting a feel for what everyone was good at first. Now I know why Hubert has a budding interest in lances... because a certain level of lance skill is required for the Dark Knight master class. Working on that and riding now for him since he already is above the needed level of raisin. Speaking of, budding interests net unique skills (as far as I can tell) so it's worth it to 3-star those even if they aren't part of your overall goal. So far for me, 3-starring those is still in the E or E+ range when said skills are learned, so it's not a heavy investment.

I liked Lysithea's design from the start and since she's a mage, I figure she'll be my favorite when I do my Claude run. Dorothea is also getting better. I plan to do the master class that requires sword and magic for her. She's naturally good/chosen a goal for both of those anyway, and she pretty much one-shots everything with a Levin's sword, which is what I'm using instead of magic to get her sword skill high enough to reclass. She also crits a lot (same with Petra).

Major spoiler for Bernadetta's backstory for those interested:
Spoiler :
Her father is a fucking psychopath and is using her to bait a rich husband into the family. He basically abused her to be quiet and subservient so that she will be "marriageable". Like, he literally tied to a chair for hours and told her she needed to be quiet. No wonder she's a mess. I will protect her with my life. That's her B support with Byleth, at least. With Dorothea, she revealed that she wasn't allowed to make friends with commoners, and one time when she did, the commoner was found beaten nearly to death soon after.
Delthazar wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:31 am
Oh yeah, how are you spending yer free days? Do you double-up on any of the options, or just do one of each?
Now that I know how I want to built Byleth, I've been spending more time on instructor instruction. My flying skill needs a lot of work if I need to meet said goal, and 2 instructors teach it now (I currently have 6 free time options). I always do the meal share for motivation, only picking people in my house, of course. I rarely do the cooking because Bernadetta is my only house member with an affinity for it, and I've already done it a few times. I usually do the tournament (only skipped one due to shitty reward- why offer steel gauntlets right after silver is for sale? And I only have one gauntlet user). And now I'm focusing on battles to clear the prologues. I've done rest only once... but my Creation Sword could definitely use a recharge.
Last edited by Bier_Engel on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:50 pm

Oh, wanted to mention this earlier, but has anyone else been paying attention to the online deployment stats on the loading screens? Used to be Edlegard, Claude, Dimitri and then people from Edlegard's house. Now it's... Just Edlegard and her house. The bias is more obvious than I expected.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Yeah, I figured those stats might be a little heavy on the Black Eagles, but it's really like 80% of that whole house so far. I'd be super curious to see harder numbers, percentages, etc.

I wonder if that'll even out a little over time. Also wonder if the stats will eventually take people's second and third runs into account.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:03 pm

old Fire Emblem thing: Waypoint did a great piece on the Thracia 776 translation project

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb8m ... hracia-776

also like the first 40 minutes to an hour of their Friday podcast was all Three Houses talk if you need something to listen to while you grind

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzw ... eally-long

(speaking of grinding I wonder exactly how much Dex and Riding I need to recruit Petra, the game doesn't give you exact figures - though I do appreciate it updating the attempted recruitment dialogue as you get closer - and it seems like it's still too early for the internet to answer this question for me)

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm

I unfortunately wouldn't know since she came with my house. I was able to recruit Ingrid today, though. (Just curious, what are Petra's skill preferences for recruitment? Because she's good at almost everything, so it's hard for me to even guess).

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status ... 2299735040

Well, the internet guess of Sothis being the mythic was spot on. Her art is amazing, holy shit. Weapon, too. It just sucks that the red dragon pool is already large.

Red: Sothis (want, but I think I'll wait until she returns), L!Marth (want), M!Byleth (got my free one)
Blue: Fjorm (yawn), L!Azura (have), HS!Ryoma (meh)
Green: L!Lyn (no thanks), L!Hector (have), Greil (want, but not with these odds)
Colorless: Eir (free...), Caineghis (want), L!Alm (have)

So I want Sothis and Marth but with my luck, I'd just draw copies of Byleth, who I already got for free. So, they'll both be back, and I'll wait. I'm in a similar situation with green and colorless, so I'm just gonna skip.

Once again, got screwed out of V!Soren due to the Hot Springs banner. Honestly, it's fine, because now I don't have to try and pull him when I already have the 2 other competitors in his color. Hopefully next month, L!Tiki, Naga or a new blue unit will share his color, that way I won't be upset with the pity breakers. That said, this means he'll be competing with the CYL banner next month. Not cool!

And now that I know this, I'm going to pull for Edelgard again.

e: 46 orbs later and I was pity broken by Maribelle (no green options on that run) and I +10'd my Soren in the process. I actually wanted Maribelle, even though she's no Veronica. Well, that's my 3rd pity breaker. I think I'll hang it up and wait for the August banner.
Last edited by Bier_Engel on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Petra wants Dex and Riding, so I guess I gotta grind levels for Dex and keep an eye out for Riding training opportunities - Gilbert can do that, but go figure, he's not always available when I need him, at least not for Symposiums, at least not yet. (Leonie got a +5 Dex skill or ability from... something... really wish I could remember how she got that.)

...I wonder: do Symposiums boost Byleth's skills more than a normal training session during an exploration? Like before, I'd really like to see the raw numbers for all this stuff.

oh yeah, I pulled a Claude in FEH last night. With a neutral IV too, so, that could be worse, huh. So I'm feeling a little better about not getting Edel yet thanks to getting him and both Byleths.

Maybe that's just FEH's way of saying I made the correct house choice with Golden Deer. :pac

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Oh, weird. I wouldn't have expected riding since she has a natural strength for flying (those 2 blue up arrows when you choose her for the group project). But maybe those vary by playthrough or by your Byleth's birthdate or something. Too many variables to say.

Not quite sure about the seminars. Now that I have 2 points to expend for battles, and the paralogues/rare monsters are more of a thing, I haven't been choosing them. They seemed to be the same every single month for me, too. I just chose the one with the max attendees rather than paying attention to the actual skills learned, too.

Lucky. Even Grand Conquest has eluded Edelgard from me. I was on Claude's team first and Dimitri's now. Is there another round? I don't recall, but I'm at the point where I usually end up, rank wise, so I'm guessing not.

Oh, and the voting gauntlet is coming up. It's all the new summer units vs. each other. Never pulled beyond my freebies in those banners, so I don't really care. Most likely going with Laegjarn.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 pm

A dragon with no dragon form is interesting, though I guess the Grimas just call a dragon so technically they don't transform either.

I'm just waiting for clown dagger girl since her kit seemed really exciting.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:48 pm

Yeah, Sothis' attack animation is definitely cool/interesting. Maybe they're trying to avoid spoilers? But her ears made it obvious enough that she was either a manakete or full on dragon, so I personally don't count that part.

And I've mentioned this before but now that we have this new precedent with dragons, I can't help but wonder how the Tellius dragons (who transform more like beasts) will be treated in Heroes if they're ever added. Now it's possible that they could just stay in their humanoid forms and be considered dragons still.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 am

Time skip Petra was just spoiled for me on Twitter and all I will say, Del, is keep trying to recruit her because she's fucking hot XD

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:47 pm

So, I just got 3 Houses on Sunday. Started it last night and I've been playing it most of the day. I'm not super far yet, just White Clouds Chapter 2. Some of my thoughts so far: Edelgard is a dead ringer for Chris Lightfellow, I miss the weapon triangle, I don't like the instruction part, there's a sound effect that sounds like it came from Suikoden 4 (the action button when you're wandering around), and the wandering around part gives me some serious Suikoden 3 vibes. I mean, the Holy Kingdom is blue (Harmonia), the empire is red (Scarlet Moon), and I'd equate the Leicester Alliance with Zexen given the deer motif and the weird way its structured.

Btw, I picked the Golden Deer in the beginning and for the house that I'm teaching, mainly because I think Claude is funny.

I still use Discord a lot, so if anyone wants to live chat, feel free to hit me up there.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:38 pm

I keep forgetting about Discord... whoops!