[Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [Fire Emblem] Nintendo Got Thirsty

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 pm

It's adult Tiki that I have, and yes pushing Tiki and Nowi to 5-star is on the agenda. Even at 4 star though, they both have distant counter in their weapons which is nice.

Good!Celica has pulled ahead.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 am

Evil!Celica wins. Which actually ends my streak of backing the loser in every round in every gauntlet I've participated in.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:02 am

fuuuuck yeeeesssss

Tossed her in the bootstraps squad along with my other new keepers to get her levels up - get a load of this guy

fair point I suppose

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:08 am

Does every Fire Emblem game take place on a separate world? It seems like the franchise is the closest thing we currently have to a successful Suiko-like series.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 am

DHerder222 wrote:Does every Fire Emblem game take place on a separate world? It seems like the franchise is the closest thing we currently have to a successful Suiko-like series.
More like FInal Fantasy, where there's some sequels that share a world (XIII to XIII-2), most don't share a world (like V and XII), and some kind of do if you squint your eyes a little (Ivalice, that whole VII and X connection).

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 am

That's cool. I kinda want try earnestly getting into the series - 10-15 years ago the fact that there were some Japan-only releases turned me off. That seems pretty minor now but there are so many entries it's a bit overwhelming.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:36 am

The thing that stops me is the Nintendo platform. I haven't owned a Nintendo since the NES, which makes it a bit hard to get into.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:53 am

Can't really blame Nintendo for keeping them platform-exclusive though. :P

Just emulate the older ones, says I. A 2DS is also a cheap investment for both the newer FE games and access to the DS/3DS back catalog.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Added you, Layfield.

I still have an old Gameboy Advance but fuck batteries, so I emulate FE7 (just Fire Emblem in the US, Heroes calls it Blazing Blade I think) and FE8 (Sacred Stones). There's a translation patch for FE6 (Binding Blade), too. Haven't started it yet, though. I've never had a Game Cube so I also emulated Path of Radiance. Dolphin is a good GC emulator. Radiant Dawn is the sequel but I haven't had the chance to try that one. Any good Wii emulators out there that would work well?

Shadow Dragon (FE1) is on the DS. FE2 was remade as Shadows of Valentia for the 3DS last year and is VERY GOOD (actually, I'd recommend that one as a starting point, as it has the benefits of the modern games without the BS marriage and baby realm weirdness, plus, you seem to like Celica). And obviously, Awakening and Fates are very accessible on the 3DS.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:51 pm

John Layfield wrote:Can't really blame Nintendo for keeping them platform-exclusive though. :P

Just emulate the older ones, says I. A 2DS is also a cheap investment for both the newer FE games and access to the DS/3DS back catalog.
Yeah it's relatively easy, but it's enough of a barrier that it puts me off. I have a lot of other games I want to put time into. I'll just respect them from a distance :pac

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Thinking back to the various Giant Bomb Quick Looks for Fire Emblem games (one, two, three), it seems like there's been several good "onboarding" points over the years for new players starting with the GBA release. Blu already nailed it: Awakening and Fates in particular seem like good natural introductions to "modern" Fire Emblem, but there's probably no raisin why someone couldn't just grab the newest hotness (Echoes?) and work their way backwards.

The way these things sell I wouldn't be shocked at all if they gradually remake all the pre-GBA Fire Emblems, especially if Echoes in particular sold well.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Oh, yep, Echoes and Shadows of Valentia are the same game. Sorry for any confusion.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:00 pm

Watch that get more confusing if they remake more of the old games under the Echoes sub-branding. :pac

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:05 pm

Which is entirely possible...

Edit: Oh, and D, there's another raisin why SoV/Echoes would be a good starting point for you. There's a canon gay man, Leon, who is very well characterized. He's one of my favorite characters and he's also useful/strong in your army, and the other characters in game know that he's gay (he's very open about it) and he's actually not treated like shit or like a joke, which I hate to say is still a problem in 2018. Leon is in Heroes as well but I'm not sure if you've really encountered him since you're still new and he hasn't had a recent focus. He's also really good in Heroes...

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 am

Got nothing on that 8% banner. But... proving that these evil characters are clearly for me, I got Hardin with my last 5 orbs. I can't recall the last time I got every new character in a single banner before.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Wow great stuff on the Hardin pull! I'm back in saving mode since I have no idea what's coming.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Same... the next thing would be another Spring banner... but what we don't know is if they're just going to bring back the 4 old Spring characters (of which I have none) or start a new batch... but what we *do* know is that the Choose Your Legends banner with the new Celica and Hector (and I forgot the 2 others) that were voted for is coming up. I bet they're annoyed because they *just* made a new Hector and Celica for the other banners and now they have to think of new ones.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 pm

It'd be cool if they bring back last year's Spring units while also introducing new ones. That's usually how other games like Overwatch handle their event stuff.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm

In related news I was browsing Kotaku and came across an article about a boardgame someone made of FEH:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/03/fan-c ... oard-game/

It looks pretty great.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 pm

:stare That's fucking cool. Not knowing any local board game people who are also Fire Emblem people, I'm still really tempted to print all that out anyway - at least up until the second someone gives me an estimate for how much that'd cost 'cause I don't have a printer. :pacdown

At the very least I'd love to print out my BAE SQUAD cards.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 pm

Dude. This makes me miss my old game group.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Looking at the screenshots it seems you don't even need much in the way of FE knowledge to enjoy it.

At my work we have a boardgames night once a month, so I get quite a lot of boardgame time. I should print this game.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Man, if Konami would let me I'd probably self-finance my own Suikoden board game.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 am

Shadow Celica v. Shadow Robin for the final. I assume most of us are on Team Shadow Celica at this point? I always find it weird that it shows me all of your headline units on the victory screens whether you're on my team or not.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:58 am

I'm still Shadow Robin.