[Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Team Mia ride or die :rarr

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:05 pm

Falcon Critical wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm
I'm team Tibarn too. Don't have him, but he's pretty rad.
I noticed; your S!Sherena keeps popping up in my battles!
Delthazar wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:22 pm
Team Mia ride or die :rarr
I figured that's how you'd vote. I love her too, but my bird team is rocking so hard right now that I had to go with Tibarn. Looking forward to Mia's weekly rotation return so I can hopefully get her finally, though. Not gonna risk it with 2 other red people on her banner.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 am

So if you have the same Nintendo account that you use for FEH attached to your Switch, you get a free male Byleth right around release time (he'll also be in the summoning pool later) so that's pretty neat. That also confirms that the next banner is the 3 Houses banner, which was obvious anyway.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Tibarn lost to fucking Barst... what!? That just shows that even the new voting gauntlet isn't optimized right. I know literally zero people who actually like or use Barst in Heroes (he's fine in Shadow Dragon though) while Tibarn is beloved in both Heroes and his 2 source games... so, wow, bullshit.

And earlier when I checked the total standings, I noticed the women's gauntlets were way more heated. 800k votes for Tibarn at the time while he was in the lead, but 17,000k for Olivia!? Guess I just need to g with girls. Also explains how Shanna beat Soren the one time even though no one knows who Shanna is outside of Japan while Soren is popular otherwise...

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Yeah the women tend to do better in voting gauntlets, but Barst sniping us was a surprise. I'm joining Del on team Mia.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:00 pm

I am also team Mia (I might as well just be team Tellius). But Olivia is apparently insanely popular, so if it comes between her and Jeorge/Barst in the end, I'm really going to lose interest (but probably still pick Olivia).

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Modern FE has always been known for ridiculously expensive DLC but the Three Houses schedule is... interesting, to say the least.

So at launch, just outfits. Kinda boring. Gotta wait until late October for the second wave. Most of us will have beaten the game by then. 3rd wave on New Year's Eve... again, kinda late. Final wave with new content in late April of 2020? I get that there are three routes so this game has replay value, but I'm going to forget about it by then, likely. I'm the type of person who would play all 3 routes in succession if I end up being that interested, so I'd be wrapped up by then, for sure. I don't understand why they don't just release all content at once.

At least they do mention that the content of some of the last update is free, but my point still stands that a lot of us will have moved on. The FF7 remake will be out around then, as well as the next Tales of game.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:10 pm

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_JP/status ... 4317890560

New silhouettes are kind of early. Totally forgot about the new banner on the 9th, but I also kind of don't care about the Spring or Summer banners. That one weapon is definitely a bucket, which is giving me more hot springs vibes. Meh.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:29 am

re: Three Houses expansion content, I imagine it'll do well regardless just 'cause FE has the fanbase to support it despite whatever else is going on, but yeah, some of us are naturally gonna get distracted over the course of a nearly year-long DLC rollout.

That fourth batch with the new characters and story stuff sounds like a lock though. Maybe I'll get the pass and replay Three Houses after all the DLC is out and I've had my time with FF7R. I'm also really curious about the free content they'll be dropping at the same time as all these paid things. I imagine it'll just be costumes or whatever but who knows.

in other Three Houses news I think I have yet another new favourite character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSAMWiFRJk

girl's got a vibe. character art for this game is on point.

Anyway, seems the free Byleth is already in FEH for the folks who preordered digitally, but the folks gettin' physical I guess will have to wait 'til they can register the cartridge.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Yeah, I like her design too. She reminds me of Queen from Suikoden III a bit, and I like the little bat wing design on her top.

Oh weird, the update must have dropped for some people already, then. Guess I'll have to wait. No biggie.

Playing Warriors right now. It's kind of confusing since I'm not used to the gameplay style or system as a whole yet, so I keep pressing the wrong buttons and have trouble with the controls, but otherwise, it's not too hard. I wonder if it sold poorly, though, because I'm surprised the original characters aren't in FEH yet.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:04 pm
Yeah, I like her design too. She reminds me of Queen from Suikoden III a bit
hell yeah I had the same thought, she's a like a somewhat gothier Queen, or Queen + Tae Takemi + Jane Lane or something, either way along with Petra and Dorothea I'm gonna be recruiting her as fast as I can assuming she's not just an NPC.

I wonder which of the non-Byleth, non-lord/noble characters will end up in FEH first. I'm guessing they'll do a banner for the three main nobles first, then at least one banner for the others, maybe even a banner per house? F!Byleth as a Mythic? Getting her as a Tempest reward would be nice, but I kinda doubt it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:31 pm

dunno the source for this exactly but regarding online features in Three Houses
There are three main online features – Global Activity, Exchange Student, and Lost Spirits.

Global Activities show what other players have chosen when making choices, if you want to see how things are trending between players.

Exchange Students essentially is choosing a student from your game to send over to other players’ games, who may choose to buy the student for use in combat under certain conditions.

Finally, Lost Spirits is a feature where you’ll be able to see where units in other players’ armies have fallen in combat, which shows where difficult areas may be. Surviving in those tiles will give you extra bonuses.
Global Activities sounds pretty much like the Vox feature in Persona 4 Golden and its P5 equivalent. Exchange Students is more interesting, seems like it's fairly close to how pawns work in Dragon's Dogma? Or even just a couple modes in FEH which let you use friend list units. Lost Spirits is maybe a little like... finding the bloodstains from where other players died in something like Dark Souls or the fiends in Let It Die.

I wonder if you can use Exchange Students to get around missed recruitment chances or faction locks or whatnot.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:48 pm

summer cheesecake units

https://twitter.com/FEHeroes_News/statu ... 8702745601

Wasn't expecting an Ursula. Yet another Lyn is funny, a third bow Lyn is even funnier, but she's also a flyer and the weapon + Sturdy Impact could be fun to play with. Certainly a better bow Lyn than the last one, wonder if she'll match her cav archer version that I already have at +1 or +2 somehow.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:48 pm

These summer banners continue to make me not give a shit. Wolt is a weird choice, so I guess he's this summer's Noire in terms of the child bow unit without a regular alt yet. I don't even know who Fiora is but I'll take her for free...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:40 pm

Wolt is a weird choice and a weirder name. Should that have been localized as Walt?

Simpsons Bort joke, etc.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:58 am

Does anyone have vanilla Ike? He's back on the weekly rotation and I'm tempted solely because he's Ike, but I'm assuming he's inferior to his free Legendary version and the Valentine version which I also have.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:10 am

I have a vanilla Ike at 5* I never use, possibly 'cause he's still too rare for a merge project to start up, possibly 'cause I also have his legendary, possibly 'cause he's just a red sword in a sea of red swords, possibly 'cause he's not cute enough, or a combination of these things.

on the subject of somewhat rare non-legendary cute red swords TEAM MIA RIDE OR DIE, JEORGE GET SMOKED

...I guess I only have like three weeks to finish Path of Radiance before it gets bumped waaay down the backlog huh. At this point I'll probably never get back to those older Emblems unless I shuffle a bunch of other stuff outta the play order or take time off work.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Still no Anna, what was choose your legends even good for? None of these inspire me, their skills I could prob vore though.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Yeah, I was happy Mia won. Olivia had me worried at first. Turns out her rerun banner isn't until late August, though. I'm not too interested in too many other of the gen 1 units aside from her at this point. (Michaiah is apparently gen II because I didn't see her on the rotation at all- she was the other one I wanted to go for. Oh well.)

Oh dude, please play Path of Radiance. Easily my favorite FE game, and I'm not alone. It doesn't take long, either. My first run was like 25ish hours. Granted, that doesn't count all the times I had to start over, but if you abuse save states since you're emulating anyway, it's fine. And then that way you can play Radiant Dawn if you liked PoR enough. Since that's a direct sequel, it's not as interchangeable as the other games in the series which can be played in basically any order.

Yeah, really weird that the character who canonically should have like 15 alts doesn't have any after over 2 years. A summer Anna would have been cool. Story-wise even, since it's another version of herself, she could even profit off the swimsuit pics finally without being a creep...

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:19 pm

https://twitter.com/stoneelitism/status ... 8377575424

A sneak peek at our free unit. Damaged art spineless pose aside, I really like her design. Like, they put effort into her swimsuit design instead of making it super skimpy. The parasol is also cute, so my guess is that she uses it as a spear.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 pm

My latest group of trainees is Reinhardt(finally)/Karel/Bartre/Spring!Loki.

The more I play with Bartre's brash assault the less useful it seems... i'm going to have to probably stack up HP and defense on him or something to make that do work. Perhaps once I get his PRF on there for Fury 6. Karel seems uninspiring to me, nothing in his kit really seems to be all that useful (at least compared to Karla and Fir).

Also not sure how to feel about S!Loki, she seems built to go on flier teams but I don't see her kicking Kinshi!Hinoka out of a team.

Reinhardt is good. I gave him the harry potter glasses.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm still lacking Kinshi Hinoka but I think S!Loki's niche is literally just, "you poor people didn't get K!Hinoka or S!Takumi so here's a free bow flyer you plebs." I was lucky enough to get NY!Fjorm, though, but she's green rather than colorless. Still love her and she was on my main flyer team before Tibarn gave me birb emblem.

And of course Reindaddy is good. Memes don't come out of nowhere! That said, I hate how easily mine still gets one-shot at +10. He's a glass canon, for sure.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

I had a successful Aether defense the other day, I was genuinely surprised. Watched the replay and it was a full Askr/Fjorm team, so then I felt a little bad about it.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Ah, I haven't checked my defense results in ages. I guess tomorrow we have to care, due to the update. I'm really bad at coming up with strategic maps.

And man, closing all the arena shit early but still having "win 2 arena duels" as a daily quest is rude.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:02 pm

If most of my failed Aether attack runs are any indication of good planning on the defender's part then the correct strategy seems to be "fill your map with as much junk as possible to slow down the attacker until the turns run out."

This almost always features one defending unit in a far top corner surrounded by crap, so even if the attacker defeats the rest of the squad, they might not be able to get to the turtled defender in time and the attack will fail.

e: I haven't paid too close attention but I imagine the defender's team composition goes a long way towards making this work, too. Any skills that impede enemy movement in some way are probably necessary, unless yer running a bunch of Surtrs or whatever, then you can probably just sandbag with annoying-ass immunities and other hard defense skills.