[Suikoden] is still dead, long live Suikoden

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Re: [Suikoden] is still dead, long live Suikoden

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 pm

That's cool. I haven't seen yours but there are a few on Youtube that are pretty long, like 30 minutes, so they're good for getting a sense of the game. I saw Haohmaru and Nakoruru so I wonder if they'll starting throwing every SNK character in there, KOF or not.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:13 pm

So okay. Aside from mostly demographic categories like race, gender and homeland, I see four groupings that would have an actual impact on the character's abilities and stats:

Element - 7 (Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Lightning, Order & Chaos)
Type - 5 (Balanced, Attacker, Defender, Healer & Support)
Weapon - 12 (One-Handed Sword, Two-Handed Sword, Bow, Axe, Thrown, Claw, Polearm, Staff, Wand, Dual Weapon, Hammer & Gun)
Army (This would be the type of unit the character leads in army battles if they're made a commander) - 5 (Infantry, Archers, Cavalry, Rune & Machine)

That makes a total of 2100 potential combos, although of course some would be much more common than others. I think that's a good enough spread. :awesome

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Perhaps too much spread, but yeah it makes sense to me.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:43 pm

Could probably cut down on weapons, but all of those categories seemed prominent enough to include.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am

Okay, something extremely random just happened.

We were watching NHK World, a broadcast channel for English-language Japanese news. There's a show called Rakugo Nippon, a comedy-travel show.

It did an episode on Iwate Prefecture and used the Suikoden V opening theme in its intro. If I can find a video I'll post.

I remember a track from Mass Effect once wound up on a Food Network show, I wonder if video game music pops up on Japanese TV too.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

I've heard Mass Effect tracks turn up on Top Gear, too. In that case, some of the music in the trilogy was sourced from outside EA/Bioware, particularly the two Faunts songs used for end credits (ME1 and 3) and most of the club tracks, so you might hear 'em pop up in other places like that sometimes. Bits of Mass Effect's club music turns up occasionally in racing games, for instance.

That said, I'm pretty sure the selection I heard on Top Gear was from the actual ME3 score and not an outsourced track, which is a bit more interesting 'cause I guess it implies EA put some of their original stuff up on audio asset networks or something for other producers to use in all kinds of stuff (unless their composers retained the rights and did that themselves.)

These days when gaps need to be filled for incidental music which doesn't require another track from your composer everyone seems to grab what they need from Audio Network, and that's how the same goofy club beat turns up in a Life is Strange party scene one year and as an NHL goal song the next year. It's the A/V professional's equivalent of Twitch streamers sourcing their music from royalty-free YouTube channels.

...I suppose all this holds true for Suikoden and Japanese games in general, even if they're old, though a game's main theme turning up way outside that game is a little more surprising. I don't remember if they went outside Konami for that song like they did with Suikoden IV, so that could be it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Oh! Wrestling themes are another funny example. Top Gear also used Hardcore Holly and the Hardy Boys' old entrance themes here and there, meaning those tracks were never WWE originals but came from some b-roll library somewhere, whatever the 90s version of Audio Network was, I guess.

But my absolute all-time favourite instance of this is Booker T's theme turning up in a Kids in the Hall skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-CtKIo7olM

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:21 am

Wow, that is glorious. I had no idea. :awesome

Here's the video that has Suikoden V's theme. Starts at 1:41. I was pretty amazed when I heard the track on my TV.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/ ... s/3019039/

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:57 am

Wind of Phantom, yeah, it's a licensed or commissioned track for sure. Similar to La Mer in Suikoden IV, which was scrubbed from the Suikoden V promotional video that included videos of all the games opening videos, for similar raisins.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sun May 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Hey, John: In V, do any of the non-playable characters have stats, that you know of? I was wondering about Ferid, specifically, but any info would be cool.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sun May 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Dirty old women attracted to mysterious men in eye patches? Check!

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Mon May 13, 2019 12:46 am

True Perception wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:50 pm
Hey, John: In V, do any of the non-playable characters have stats, that you know of? I was wondering about Ferid, specifically, but any info would be cool.
Nah, sadly there isn't really any invisible "what-if" stats hidden away for convoy-style characters.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon May 13, 2019 3:21 am

That just means we have full control over assigning 'canon' stats to them. SSS spectrum here we goooo!

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 pm

Man, this 100K potch limit in the early game of Suikoden V is bullshit! I'm a trading fool, right now, and I keep getting stuck not being able to sell stuff. I mean, the damn Pearls sell for nearly that amount!

Just got back from the second trip to Lordlake. Pssh! "Hatred" Fortress...

Estranged
...bagua sanfa.

Post by Estranged » Wed May 29, 2019 4:03 am

I really hope I have time to play this summer. Been super busy though.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Man, they should put my face up around town, because I just robbed Haud blind! You want jewelry, you say? Well, I just so happen to have a girl who can teleport me to the Dwarven Mines, Estrise, and Raftfleet. Be back in a jiffy!

Estranged
...bagua sanfa.

Post by Estranged » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:54 am

So far I haven't been able to play this summer. Way too much going on giving me almost no chill time.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:22 am

I haven't gone through ANY Suikoden in probably 3-4 years. TP's comment made me think it might be time to go through one again.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Morbs just finished a playthrough, too. We've been going back and forth on Facebook Messenger.

Edit: Has the mister been brought into the fold yet? Could be a good excuse.

Estranged
...bagua sanfa.

Post by Estranged » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am

Morbs hadn't been on here in a while so it's good to hear he's still around in some way.

I still haven't unpacked my PS2 from moving the last time. Just so much going on, and now school is starting back up next month.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Edit: Has the mister been brought into the fold yet? Could be a good excuse.
My mister, and the Suikoden fold? I've tried on and off over the years. But he's not a super-retro gamer.

I just dug out my PS2 as well from our move. If my memory cards are still functioning, maybe I'll try again. :awesome

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Hey, has anyone heard of this upcoming title Arca-Last? The Suikoden Revival Movement on Facebook wrote a message saying this upcoming mobile JRPG has been worked by some former Suikostaff and looks like it might mimic its battle and recruitment systems. Unfortunately, no word on an English launch.

I don't know what any of the text on the website says, but it does seem to have the look like a Suiko title.

https://arca-last.com/index.html

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:25 pm

I feel like I've heard the name somewhere, but I looked it up, and it didn't seem familiar (but that is very Suikoden-like art). I'd totally check it out if it gets an English release.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Me too, I hope it does well enough for a Western release. And, you know, it's good and such.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:38 am

Damn; what the hell happened to Mamie?