[Final Fantasy] Known side effects of Dissidia include:

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Final Fantasy] We are all Basch.

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Yeah, same. Plus I've forgotten at least 90% of the story, plus a big part of the raisin why the storytelling works so well for me is probably thanks to the dialogue flourishes.

One sticking point I do have though is with Vayne. The story does a great job picking the right moments to interject the Archadia stuff into our usual POV, but maybe doesn't always do a great job using those opportunities to the fullest. With Vayne in particular, at least up to the events at/concurrent to Mt. Bur-Omisace, there's a lot of tell and not quite enough show, as if most of what makes Vayne the threatening menace the characters keep talking about is all happening just offcamera or just a few seconds before the camera gets through the door, while the lion's share of what's really interesting over in Archades is all coming from the Judges.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Listening to pods and running marks before I head off to the Stillshrine. Boy the Waterways got dangerous while I was away. These Malboro Kings are wrecking my shit.

e: Lhusu is probably worse. There's one weird mob here who can chase me across zones too, so that's an endless string if wipes forcing me to abandon the checkpoint save. I should probably just run these marks later.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nian&hl=en

Huh. I'ma hafta check that out.

Edit: Okay, so far this game seems poppin' fresh.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Hmm. Not a fan of the cell phone games, usually, especially since they tend to be resource hogs, but that does look good. I'll think about it. Lord knows I already have enough to vore up my time...

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 pm

I was really considering it, but I think that plus Brave Exvius would be a bit too much for me.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Record Keeper is a neat FF mobile game if you make sure to actually space it out. But, of course, the goal is to get you to blow your wad early and be tempted by the microtransactions.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:50 am

Delthazar wrote:Listening to pods and running marks before I head off to the Stillshrine. Boy the Waterways got dangerous while I was away. These Malboro Kings are wrecking my shit.

e: Lhusu is probably worse. There's one weird mob here who can chase me across zones too, so that's an endless string if wipes forcing me to abandon the checkpoint save. I should probably just run these marks later.
I didn't have too much trouble with the Malboros, they're weak to wind I think so I had Fran and Ashe hammering them with Aero.

Two areas I did go into then have to abandon were Lhusu Mines (even blinding the headless dudes they still hit way too hard right now, eating all my MP) and the caves where you fight Adrammelech. Most of the stuff in there was fine but that boss fight was kicking my ass. Got him down to half one time but then his behaviour shifted and we were stuck in a defense loop. A similar thing happened with that White Chocobo. I was patting myself on the back for having a mostly ranged party in the first phase, but when the second phase started it was immune and just wrecking me. Now that I've looked up the strategy for that one I'm not sure I would have figured it out organically.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:31 pm

If you haven't already done so, I totes recommend setting up Balance as an "oh shit" gambit. I have it on Ashe with Foe: Character HP < 30%, but the lower the better, especially once your max HP is in the multiple thousands.

I wonder if it's the only offensive technik with a strong use case. Has anyone got much use out of Horology or Numerology, etc.?

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

How do you get those to do high damage? Both barely reached double digits when I tried using them on flyers.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:56 pm

Delthazar wrote:If you haven't already done so, I totes recommend setting up Balance as an "oh shit" gambit. I have it on Ashe with Foe: Character HP < 30%, but the lower the better, especially once your max HP is in the multiple thousands.
Looked that up, since it's [Time Magic 4] Ashe can't learn it but Fran can, so I set that gambit on her. Currently I've got Balthier on ( Ally HP < 40% = Curaga ) so it's unlikely to fire much unless I try specific gambit builds to trigger it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm

As long as yer gettin' hit hard enough to trigger the Balance gambit it should still get some damage in even if Curaga casts first. It'll just be somewhat less impactful than it would be if her HP were still low. And it can be a lifesaver for those times when yer healer is busy or incapacitated.

I find myself opening up on groups 3+ with Gravity, and often finishing with Balance if the fight is tough enough to activate it. This translates to damage output in the thousands for a relatively low MP cost. Plus Balance is non-elemental (I think) so the only real counter is Reflect.

Been getting some good use out of Immobilize as well. It can be extremely useful in some zones like the plains or the jungle where enemies bunch up a lot.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:24 pm

I found an accessory just now which ignores reflect on enemies, which seems pretty sweet. Fran of course has the 'Thief's Gloves' right now to nick the good shit.

All three of my main party are currently wearing robes/mage hats, though looking at the stats there doesn't seem to be much difference between armour types of each tier... like my current hat/robe are 37/37 which is more than light armour 31/35 and heavy 32/44.

I was wrong in my previous post, balance is [Time Magic 3] because [Time Magic 4] in Zodiac Age is exclusive to time mage with the powerful Haste and Gravity spells. So it looks like I won't be using your combo!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Some of the incidental dialogue in Archades is pretty funny. There's a lady waiting for some craftsman from Giza who is like 10 steps down the road worrying that he lost his guide. Better though, is a dude who bought his wife a necklace for their anniversary, but misplaced it. Spoke to a woman a little way down the same street, she found a necklace in the back of her wardrobe, figured she had forgotten about it and sold it :pac

The Oversoul mob in in The Necrohol of Nabudis is probably the most annoying mob I've come across. It teleports causing lost targeting constantly, it nukes your mana to zero, and then seemingly when it dies it 100% just takes someone with it. I mean I have gambits set up to rez, but still annoying.

Is it just me or is the 'Sash' accessory really powerful. It gives +20 speed where most of the party have ~30 base speed, plus you're immune to slow and take half damage from fire. I wonder how that +20 speed compares to haste.

--edit--
Okay the more I walk around this city the more I'm getting a missed connections vibe. Feels like I'm going to be asked to get friendly with the populace.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm

There's a handful of NPC interactions like that in Rabanastre as well, which I keep forgetting to go back and continue. Like that one Viera sitting next to those long narrow stairs who has a pretty long dialogue path which picks up again after story events. Gotta remember to talk to her whenever I'm in town.

I haven't seen a Sash yet, but I'm quite a ways behind you. Just leaving Mt. Bur-Omisace for Archades. But even with speed buffs like that I'm probably still likely to keep my Golden Amulets equipped for double LP gain most of the time.

But I also kinda like the idea of setting everyone up with that auto-Reflect accessory. Hmm.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:09 pm

There was one hunt where I saw the strategy is to put reflect on everyone, because it casts invert (swap HP/MP) and then is a pushover. Other than that I've not really used reflect on myself since Balthier throws dem big heals.

I've started buying 3 copies of all accessories that have status or elemental immunities, one person immune to stop is better than none, but 3 makes that a lot smoother.

A recommended gambit for your healer is ( Foe: Haste = Dispel ), since most mobs that have haste are serious business... but if you're fighting a boss that likes to buff itself then just ( Foe: Any = Dispel ) because they will then spend half the battle trying to put reflect back up instead of nuking you. It's nice that you can dispel reflect.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm

Heh, to my surprise there's a Nexus page. Not much on it though. And I wonder if there ever will be given the lack of mod tools.

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy12

The only two mods I'd like to see would be 1) alternate costumes for each job a la that old IZJS wallpaper (a difficult request probably unlikely to ever happen) and 2) something that puts your current party leader on screen in towns instead of Vaan, even if it leaves NPC references to Vaan unchanged.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 am

The dress sphere system was probably one of the best parts of FFX-2, though I do like the mixed classes in Zodiac Age. Since my preferred lead character in battle is Ashe, it kind of makes sense that she lies low in towns and sends the ol' dog's body Vaan to run around joining every random conversation on the streets.

Turned out there were 22 missed connections which I resolved for people in Arcadia (Bay), so far more than the couple I ran into. It kind of makes it less fun though, I thought I'd stumbled onto a fun easter egg.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:37 am

The prologue map in Final Fantasy Tactics, Orbonne Monastery, is getting added to Dissidia sometime in March. That's pretty cool, I might have preferred Zirekile Falls but that works just fine.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm

I was right. Opera Omnia IS poppin' fresh, despite the stupid name. It's still a gacha game, of course, but so far it's been pretty generous. Long as you can keep a tight grip on the ol' purse strings, it's pretty fun. Plus, I love rocking the team of Tifa, Terra, and Yuna.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

's a good team.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:18 pm

That Carrot fight suuuucked. I probably burnt through most of my Remedy stock dealing with all the status effects; thank fuck I have Remedy Lore licenses on most people by now, otherwise Disease alone would've been a much bigger problem.

Good example of a mark that's probably annoying at any level. Unless you've got triple Ribbons, then it's probably nothing at all.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 pm

I need to play some more XII. I haven't touched it in a while.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:25 pm

My only option for flyers for Bosch right now, Knot of Rust, seems to be working really well. I haven't noticed how much damage it's doing, but the Rocs go down fast. Which is weird, because it otherwise does crappy damage. I wonder if it's output is dependent on the attack power of the used. Bosch does hit for a lot right now. I should be doing probably around 800-1000, but Bosch and Fran hit for more like 2000. They both have strong weapons for this section, though.

Edit: Oh! I forgot Penelo is hitting flyers with Aero. Knot of Rust is doing about 500 damage. Still, way more than earlier, but not the amazing tactic it seemed. It'll do until I get him Telekenesis, or something.

Wait, Penelo is set with Aero->Wind-weak. Why the hell are you doing so much damage, Penelo?!

She's not. Hmm. Maybe Bosch is just getting in regular hits when the Rocs get close...

Okay, so I just saw Bosch do 3400 damage to a Roc, so there is some random element to the Knot of Rust (I do not have the Francisca attached; he's using the Ice Blade, or whatever it is called)

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Delthazar wrote:That Carrot fight suuuucked. I probably burnt through most of my Remedy stock dealing with all the status effects; thank fuck I have Remedy Lore licenses on most people by now, otherwise Disease alone would've been a much bigger problem.

Good example of a mark that's probably annoying at any level. Unless you've got triple Ribbons, then it's probably nothing at all.
I didn't have too much trouble with carrot, I had Ashe tanking and ran her around to the other side of carrot so that she was the only one being breathed on. Balthier (white/mach) was set to ( Any = esuna ) and once I saw the disease I set Ashe on the fly to ( Self = disease remove item ) which helped.

My other new hot gambit tip is ( Ally = bubble ) to ideally set before a boss fight, though I've managed to switch it on mid-fight and make life a lot safer. Balthier's heals are like 4500 right now so even bubbled we're getting solid heals.

I didn't think I would ever replace the 'Sages Ring' (absorb holy, MP costs halved) on him, but an accessory with perma-haste is totally an upgrade and he's not often having MP issues anyway.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:43 pm

Beat Adrammelech with a 6/4/6 Black Hole, grabbing the Mist Walker trophy at the same time. Very nice!