[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by True Perception » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Seems like. Kind of odd. I get that the sound is closer to -th in Japanese pronunciation, but -s makes more sense in English.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:07 pm

That's been the case for a few years now in FF-land. Just about every crossover these days refers to her with a -th.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm

I somehow missed that, despite playing the original Dissidea, but that was also like 10 years ago.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 pm

whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs

it's been a minute since the last mainline Homeworld. 16 years worth of minutes, actually.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Never played Homeworld, but that trailer had style.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:22 pm

The Remastered Collection is well done and goes on sale a lot. I still haven't tried the much more recent prequel Deserts of Kharak but I heard good things. Same folks are doing Homeworld 3 so that's probably encouraging assuming it stays as far away from the rest of Gearbox as possible.

They are extremely difficult though, at least for me. I'm kinda bad at RTS games to begin with so Homeworld also asking me to account for enemy movement in full open space (or at least a strong illusion of it) is kind of a tall order. Not sure I ever got deeper than the third mission in either game.

But yeah, the Homeworlds have an amazing atmosphere and style to them. Some of the presentation in the recent Battletech is similar in broad strokes but otherwise there isn't much else out there like it.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Oh sweet, we're getting Tokyo Mirage Sessions on the Switch in January. Now I can actually play it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:43 pm

I could pick that up, or I could just watch Layfield's LP again. :pac

(I'll probably pick it up.)

Jeff came back from spawning a child just in time to talk over this Direct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPevyIbGTA

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Yeah, lotsa good Switch games coming. My poor wallet...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Direct thoughts? Direct thoughts.

...yes, I will double-dip on Overwatch for Switch if it lets me bring in all my years of accumulated junk from the PC original. (I doubt it.) Aside from that, things like Junkrat's Riptire and sniper scopes using the Switch gyro seems neat. But for all I know the PS4/XB1 versions do that too.

I'm probably more likely to buy that Overwatch Switch case once Amazon puts it back up for real. :pac

like before I'm all in for Trials of Mana. April 2020 is already packed though.

Shit, I might just double-dip on Obra Dinn for Switch as well. shit y'all, if you have a Switch and you missed Obra Dinn on Steam last year, BUY IT. Just do it.

Little Town Hero has music by Toby Fox? Weeeird.

I don't care about Smash at all but that Neo Geo bit was fantastic. Of course the character would be Terry, but maybe more folks will show up as... items? skins? ...or however that works. Maybe Falcon will have more thoughts on this.

There has to be limit to how many times they can play this goddamned Dragon Quest song and I think we passed it two Directs ago.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions finally ending its Wii U exile is pretty cool and-HOLY SHIT DEADLY PREMONITION 2 WHAT THE FUCK WHERE DID THIS COME FROM HOW ARE WE JUST SEEING THIS NOW FUCK (ALSO THE ORIGINAL IS ON THE ESHOP RIGHT NOW AS "DEADLY PREMONITION ORIGINS" OKAY) (hopefully the Switch port is in better shape than the Steam version though)

...is anyone really carrying a torch for Doom 64?

More Pokemon Sword/Shield things, I'm pretty much already sold on it, not sure I really need to see more.

SNES games on Nintendo Online was expected but I'm happy to have them, especially once they start digging out the deep cuts. The initial lineup ain't bad though. Funny that Breath of Fire is there but not a Final Fantasy. $30 for the SNES joycon is fair but I'd still rather get an 8bitdo.

I'm nowhere near good enough at Tetris 99 for that new mode. But more custom themes, sure.

I wish the retro stuff in Mario & Sonic Olympics was its own thing entirely and not part of a full-price package.

Daemon X Machina looks excellent but I'll wait for reviews from Austin Walker and other noted mechafolks.

...Jedi Knight 2? Jedi Knight 2. Weird! ...and Aspyr is porting it over? Also weird. I kinda thought they only did Mac stuff.

Dauntless on Switch makes a lot of sense. I keep meaning to try out the PC version and even have it installed but maybe I'll pivot to Switch instead, especially if it's crossplay.

NIMAL CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROSSING CROSSING ANIMAL CROS

I can't get over Tom Nook's islander look, I just can't

Something about how the Xeno games post-Saga always look bugs me enough I'll probably never play them. It's the Star Ocean thing again I guess where the anime-ness overloads the sci-fi-ness and becomes too much for me to deal with. I'm sure some folks out there are stoked though. (Port the Xenosaga trilogy you cowards.)

Good Direct though. Tokyo Mirage Sess-DEADLY PREMONITION 2 HOLY SHIT

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:55 pm

Yeah, I'm curious about Xenoblade, but I don't know if I want to buy it without testing it first somehow.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:00 pm

Terry Bogard's a bit of a weird choice. His look and personality are a little too similar to Ken for me. I might have preferred Haohmaru if he hadn't already been slotted for Soul Calibur.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:18 pm

That trailer for Trials made me more excited. I didn't realize that game had a class system.

Bit by bit, I'm finding more raisin to get a Switch. It might be getting time to buy one.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:24 pm

DHerder222 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:00 pm
Terry Bogard's a bit of a weird choice. His look and personality are a little too similar to Ken for me. I might have preferred Haohmaru if he hadn't already been slotted for Soul Calibur.
way I figure it, Terry might be the most recognizable SNK character, even if he's not from the most recognizable SNK game, so that was probably enough to give him the nod even over, like... Mai (maybe too booby) or some Metal Slug person (do they even have named characters? I can't remember.)

but if they wanted they could probably make Terry the frontman for a whole bunch of other SNK folks as skins which I guess is how the Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest stuff works right

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 pm

Delthazar wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:45 pm
(Port the Xenosaga trilogy you cowards.)
Only if they improve them, especially 2. 2 was hot garbage.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:17 pm

I barely finished the first game and didn't continue, as I didn't find the central duo of Shion and KOS-MOS very compelling. Does it finish strong?
way I figure it, Terry might be the most recognizable SNK character, even if he's not from the most recognizable SNK game, so that was probably enough to give him the nod even over, like... Mai (maybe too booby) or some Metal Slug person (do they even have named characters? I can't remember.)
They do! Eri, Tarma, Marco and Fio. But you're probably right. Mai's too booby. The only other possibility might have been Iori Yagami, who could even function as a villain. But he's probably just too obscure.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:34 pm

DHerder222 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:17 pm
I barely finished the first game and didn't continue, as I didn't find the central duo of Shion and KOS-MOS very compelling. Does it finish strong?
Yeah, I'd say so. Xenosaga 3 is by far the best game in the series, and looking back, the only one which finally got it all right.

...if I'm being honest, there's no way in hell I'll find the time and energy to replay those games as-is, they'd need to be heavy-ass remasters or near remakes, and even then, some really major edits would be probably be necessary 'cause the pacing is just too all over the place. Xenosaga had the Metal Gear problem, but arguably worse, because it also had the Shenmue problem, being a huge multi-part planned franchise that got cut off at the knees way earlier than expected.

Retell the trilogy's story in one game instead of three and shove it all into Xenosaga 3's systems and it would probably work much better.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Oh, I guess the Final Fantasy VIII remaster is out. I'm pretty tempted considering it looks like they did a ton of extra texture work they probably didn't need to bother with, which is nice of them.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 pm

I'll definitely play it, but I'm not in a hurry either. I'm curious what the overall reception will be.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Actually, it seems they only improved the payable characters. Everything else is vanilla. Might be better to wait for the modders to port the new models into the original, and pick that up cheap.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:44 pm

Regarding Xenosaga... fuck. I had such high hopes for that series. I played Xenogears for the first time years after release but right before Saga came out, so I fully got into the internet hype as a teen and expected the 6 planned games and... yeah, that didn't happen. I ultimately still love Xenosaga I- but the lack of background music in most places is ass, and it ended way too quickly.

II, as Nei said, was hot garbage. They changed the graphics and battle system for the worst. I tried to give that game a chance more than once but man, it's a chore. Couldn't do it on my replay. Surprised I got through it even on my first try but I was a teenager with nothing else to do and I still liked the story so that was my motivator. I still love Junior x whoever Sakura was based on (names are hard) XD

Edit: I'm a dumbass. Her name was Momo, and she was based on Sakura. Anyway...

And then yeah, III is good. When I attempted my replay of the series though, I still couldn't get past II, so I never could replay III... which sucks, because now I remember that installment the least. I agree that one condensed game would be good, especially since the first is only like 20 hours anyway, which is nothing for an RPG.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 pm

If I've ever got 21 free hours, perhaps I'll watch the Youtube movie versions of all three games. :awesome

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Man, 21 hours for all that actually seems short.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 pm

Not quite sure where this fits, but if any of you played What Remains of Edith Finch, this Australian simmer did a fucking mind blowing version of the Finch house in the Sims 4. If you're interested in both taking a nostalgia trip through the journey in that game and marvelling at how well it was recreated in the Sims, give this a watch!

https://youtu.be/u3aTuMrDJDw?t=1417

(it's timestamped to the actual walkthrough, the stuff before that and previous hour of video are all speedbuild of her making the rooms and talking about the plot of the game. Even as a Sims player her attention to detail and ability to control objects is godlike.)

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:05 pm

oh right, TGS is a thing, TGS is on

everything in this trailer is new, both relative to previous trailers and also a lotta new content not in the original game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Bpq_Jq7yn0

you wanted the squats minigame, you're getting the squats minigame, motherfuckers
Spoiler :
lookin' forward to these new Turks boss fights