[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by John Layfield » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am

Delthazar wrote:AGDQ is on if that's anyone's jam.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

They're doing a big block of Sonic games at the moment, including Mania, and a bit later they'll be doing Metal Gear Solid and one of the Fire Emblems. I didn't think that was something you could speedrun.
(Some) Fire Emblem speedruns are neat if you're into RNG manipulation. It's all about making the right presses and selections and backing out of menus to set the RNG so you can rush the boss, have them miss and have you crit so you can low-level speed through the game.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Gaming News] + Upcoming Games + General Games Chat

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 pm

Sonic Mania coming up next. As a current (extremely good) Sonic thing that I actually own and enjoy I'm pretty curious to see it in a speedrun setting. Some of those new and reworked stages are loooong, especially the last one.

e: Mega Man block after that. Paging Alex Navarro.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Yeah, I'm tuning in specifically for Sonic Mania. It's a really good game (I have it on Switch).

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Announcer keeps mispronouncing Otacon and it's driving me a little nuts.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:48 pm

"this first boss is a lot easier once you realize its feet don't actually hurt you, only the claws"

motherFUCKER

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Holy shit I had no idea you could break Studiopolis that way.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm

Yeah, that Studiopolis run was amazing.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:25 pm

The Metal Gear Solid run is fucking bananas.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:23 am

I missed that one so I'll have to catch the archive.

They're doing Fire Emblem now, Sacred Stones to be specific. So not just a Fire Emblem speedrun but a Japanese version on top of that. Yikes.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 am

Speedrunning is impressive, but it's the exact opposite of me. It's often twitch precision and pixel perfect moves mixed with constant restarts and hella repetition to refine times. Like I respect the craft and it can be interesting to see, especially with the glitches they use to skip parts of games, but no way could I do that.

The closest I've ever gotten is farming hallways in Symphony of the Night, where I'm trying to get some drop so just fighting back and forth and refining my technique to make the movement smooth... but even then I fuck it up most of the time. Also I'm the guy that locked my characters into walk mode in Fallout 4 and moved around the wasteland like I needed to conserve energy.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 am

Speedrunning has never appealed to me. I'd rather enjoy my games and take everything in, not find ways to break them. Granted, I can see why it'd be interesting to watch if I've already played a game and wasn't concerned about spoilers, but it's not something I'd ever bother trying.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:38 pm

I have zero interest in speedrunning, outside of maybe doing a Suikoden 1 run someday, but I like watching them for the skill involved and the crazy ways some games can be broken or manipulated.

Although sometimes watching them, I'm like "hey, I want to see the plot, come on!"

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Super Mario Sunshine 120 Shine run coming up on AGDQ. Won't be anywhere near as skillful and efficient as Steal My Sunshine.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 am

The World Ends With You is getting a Switch port with a new epilogue, apparently. That's a game that's always been on the back of my "to play" list, but every time I read about the combat system, I chicken out. However, so many people love it and recommend it to me. This definitely makes the Switch more attractive to me, though, knowing I can play the update either on a big screen or handheld (but on a better screen than the DS).

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am

Before the Storm's "Farewell" bonus episode drops on March 6. Just two days before Jessica Jones Season 2. It's 2015 again!

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Well, I'm confused. Everything is (and has been) showing the release date for Strange Journey Redux as May 15th. However, I just got an email from Amazon saying that I'm getting release date delivery on April 2nd. That would be awesome, since that's the day before my birthday and I'll have time off to play it, but I can't find confirmation of that date anywhere else.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Weirdly, I'm seeing March 31st on Amazon, EB Canada says May 15th, and Nintendo's own site is just "ehh, sometime in 2018 I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:26 pm

March 31st is the last day of the quarter, so it's a placeholder for a quarter 1 release date. Either way, not accurate with my email or the date I'm seeing everywhere else. Weird. I think maybe my date is only different on Amazon because I have it pre-ordered? Or it could be a US/Canada difference.

I also got the email that Alliance Alive is March 27th just now, so I'll have something to play during my time off, regardless.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm

March 31st is a Saturday, and 4/2 is a Monday, maybe they set unknown releases to the first Monday of a quarter?

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Oh weird, didn't notice that 4/2 was a Monday as it was close enough to Tuesday that I just assumed it was a Tuesday. So yeah, not counting on it being released before May 15th. I don't need 2 new games at once, anyway.

Edit: Actually checked my Amazon account and it still says the release date is 3/31. So, basically April 2nd would be 2-day shipping (if it were actually the real release date), despite the email telling me that I get release date shipping. They also don't have their box art updated even though it's been officially released now. So yeah, Amazon's just on some shit.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Rust comes out of Early Access in February after what feels like a decade of dev time. I've had it in my Steam library for so long I've forgotten how it even got in there, but I've never actually installed it. Maybe I'll give it a shot in 1.0.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:31 pm

You might say it's a little... rusty? :awesome

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Anthem delayed to at least 2019. Falcon called it.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/24/16929 ... ronic-arts

Bioware seemingly betting everything on this project feels... *sharp Mordin inhale, dramatic zoom* ...dangerous.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Celeste is getting glowing reviews pretty much everywhere. Maybe 2018's first serious contender. Keep yer eyes on that one.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/504230/Celeste/

Feels like a perfect Switch game, too.