[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by Thunderhead » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:52 pm

3+ hours to get abilities and leveling, sooooooo, yeah...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Heh, and maybe another seven hours after that just for all the battle system functions to unlock

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:58 pm

I miss the days of the JRPG Optional Tutorial House. FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears all had one, and FFVII scattered a similar idea around its world. They didn't take themselves very seriously either. A fun and inventive way to teach the basics and refresh the memory.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:59 pm

It's a slow-ass burn and I don't blame anyone for falling off it long before it hits its stride. But I think the characters and plot generally hold up okay in hindsight.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:07 pm

Aye, Lightning is a legit good lead and Sazh is maybe one of my favourite supporting characters in the series. XIII feels like it'd be worth another run just for his story. I really liked how they (intentionally or otherwise) introduced him as comic relief and then super quickly subvert that expectation and turn him into a super solid father figure.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:47 pm

I remember liking Sazh a lot. The thing with his son was heartbreaking, and his relationship (platonic, in my mind) with Vanille was interesting. But it wasn't enough for me to beat the game for.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 pm

Well, if I end up not liking XIII, that's okay. I may have picked up another turd on the cheap...

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 am

I'll defend the first two seasons (1 and a half?) of Andromeda as... better than Earth: Final Conflict.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:24 am

I was being cheeky. I picked up a different Andromeda.

P.S. - I also liked the Andromeda show.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:48 am

Now the real question is how accurate a Dylan Hunt can you sculpt in ME:A.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:44 pm

John Layfield wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 am
I'll defend the first two seasons (1 and a half?) of Andromeda as... better than Earth: Final Conflict.
It was certainly a cool idea for a show. Shame about, uh, the entire execution of that idea, I guess

Earth Final Conflict, same deal. First Wave. Alien Nation. Seven Days. Sliders. fuck, the 90s was weird with all those not-space sci-fi shows.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Two new Switch models incoming, according to Eurogamer and WSJ sources.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... ources-say

Following the evolution of the 3DS, it sounds like one of the new models will be a cheaper, sturdier, no-frills version a la the 2DS, possibly with no docked mode, so I hope y'all don't mind a handheld-only Switch. The other model will be more like the XL or whatever, fancier, flashier, more powerful, probably more expensive. No idea if the current base model will continue after these are out.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 pm

Excellent! Kind of glad I've held off since I planned on using my future Switch as handheld-only anyway. That said, it depends on if that model comes out before 3 Houses or not, and what other features they remove (sounds like it'll lose other functionality... I don't mind paying for a regular Switch if that's the case). It'd be cool if the regular Switch got a price drop with these releases.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Borderlands 3 was revealed, as expected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o5g_PGkiA

it's, uh, kinda dull looking, plus Gearbox has been a tire fire these last few years, so I dunno. I gotta wonder if the time has passed for this series now that shlooters loot shooters are everywhere.

but fuck all that, there's a Hyper Light Drifter series in development from the Castlevania people, holy shit :stare3

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2019/3/28/18 ... di-shankar

HLD is probably one of the most evocative tone pieces I've ever seen in games, the way it looks and moves, its music and sound design, the total lack of dialogue - perfect ground to build on for a super wild TV project. just its opening alone is something I can watch at random at any time and still get goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVdUufUBss

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:47 pm

It's been long enough since Borderlands Pre-sequel that I could be into Borderlands again. It helps that I pretty much exclusively play that series as a co-op shooter which keeps it fresher as an experience.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:05 pm

I can't wait to play overly muscley Zenyatta.

Okay honest take: yeah, that trailer is pretty boring, but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I wasn't very fond of The Pre-Sequel, but apparently I played about 160 hours of Borderlands 2. Like Falcon I play it as a co-op thing, which makes it a lot more fun*.

* or a lot less fun if your friends are whiny jerks who complain that they have to share loot

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:10 pm

I think a not-small part of me just wants Gearbox to do something more with the Homeworld IP they're still sitting on. :pac

but yeah, I guess I kinda lack co-op folks most of the time, so something like Borderlands ain't gonna hit for me in quite the same way

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 pm

come be my co-op bro

I'm kind of mad at Gearbox for obtaining We Happy Few and jacking up the price like 4x what it cost beforehand but that's pretty minor in the land of gaming fuckupery.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:53 am

Okay, fam, we have a decision to make. I've been trying to enjoy FFXIII, but every time I'm ready to say I like it, it seems like it goes out of it's way to piss me off. Well, Mass Effect: Andromeda finally arrived in the mail today. So, do I finish FFXIII, or move on to ME:A? If I do move on, do I patch it?

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 pm

How far into FFXIII are you? If you're only like 10 hours in, and not digging it, probably best to drop it.

... on the other hand, I never got into Mass Effect Andromeda when it came out, so I don't know if that's a better choice? You should probably patch it, because LORD some of that facial rigging is awful.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:00 pm

My understanding is that stuff got patched officially before the studio got shuttered but as for how deep those patches went, I dunno. They probably prioritized bugs over character models unless the models themselves were bugged.

I think Falcon finished it? Falcon would know.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm

speaking of games that'll probably need lotsa patches (tosses a basketball into a nearby hoop) Bethesda is putting Grandma Shirley into Elder Scrolls 6

https://kotaku.com/skyrim-grandma-will- ... 1833678841

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Oh, I'm a good 40 hours into FFXIII...

As for not patching MEA, that would be for giggles, not playability. All my research(quick Google search) says that MEA is actually decent these days, fully patched. It's why I was finally willing to part with the $5 to buy it.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm

If you've reached the more open area (you'll know it when you get there), tough it out. If not, fuck it! Once you're to that point, you can rush to the end pretty quickly if you avoid side stuff.