[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by Delthazar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Grabbed it, gonna jump in... eventually, 'cause if it's anything like the first Rebel Galaxy, I'll no doubt be spending hours assembling the perfect combat/station/exploration playlists first

kinda wild that these are the only games I can think of with full custom soundtrack functionality in 2019

the devs got a launch week getting started video if yer so inclined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYoKlWzyAQ

and... whatever this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMryvQePYiE

again, it can't be overstated how wild the ship painter thing is

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:13 pm

SNES games are probably coming to Nintendo Online soon, along with SNESified joycons

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/13/20803 ... endo-games

forget the joycons, try one of these

https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Got stuck into RG:Outlaw on my day off yesterday. It was initially super disorienting because I couldn't figure out the controls, even to get to a menu to look at the controls :pac Smoothed that over though, and now I'm cruising. I ground out some money to buy the second ship, so now just a little more saving for a jump drive and I can get out of Texas.

I haven't even changed the radio station, the one it starts on is pretty much all I want from this kind of setting. The GTA style parody ads are good fun.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Had some control issues of my own at first (and I'm still a little foggy on a couple minor things) no doubt caused by this kinda being the first gamepad-centric game I've played outside of Steam in ages, I think? Other than emulation stuff. So it doesn't have Steam's native Dualshock 4 support, plus whatever driver I was using before in these situations is long deprecated. Solved all that easily enough just by switching to DS4Windows from... whatever that old driver was.

Like the OG Rebel Galaxy, Outlaw has support for PS4 button prompts, which is nice. Now if I could just figure out how to get my Switch Pro Controller working... I think I actually like it more than the DS4 at this point.

So I guess now my learning curve will be with, uh, the basic fact that I haven't played a flight combat sim like this in forever, not even an arcadey one. RG1 was a different beast. Ace Combat 6 is maybe the most recent similar thing. That was 10+ years ago. :pacdown

Have you messed with the ship painter? I tried airbrushing (projecting, actually?) some art onto the side of my space van but it came out a little chunkier than I want. Wondering if I need to use a different tool in the painter, or if it's an issue with the source image, or if I just need more practice with my space vannin'

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:02 pm

I haven't done any serious painting yet, now that I'm in the second tier spaceship I want to though, just need to find an image to slap on there. I did do a couple decals from the presets, adding a rainbow to one of the vents and slapping a don't starve ghost on the side. From the QL it looks like the images paint on as pretty low res, but outside the ship painter the distance means you don't notice a whole lot.

I saw that the options had 'PS4 button display' as an option, but when I plugged in my PS4 controller it was detected as a HOTAS for some raisin... so I went to my XBOX controller instead. Will give the PS4 controller a go this weekend and see if it just works.

The two best buttons for getting any kind of thing done in space are LB + ^ on the gamepad to target the nearest hostile, and holding LT to engage follow mode and let your ship point you at em. Look to get a tractor beam pretty early, otherwise you'll be leaving money floating out there in space. Once you have it, LB + < or > scrolls between available targets, which includes anything you can pick up.

--edit--
Some of the missions are pretty obtuse, there's a 'security sweep' mission which puts a few markers on the map, all of which seem to have pirates swarming at them. I was getting my arse kicked, but if you hail one of them you can say "hey can we not shoot at each other?" and they were all "yeah sure whatevs" which actually ticked off the location. So even though the mission description seems to be "just have a look at these zones" you have to either engage or disengage with pirates at each location.

The 'perform investigation' missions are also pretty confusing, you go to a quiet area of space and then have like a proximity minigame where maybe the target is moving around because it seems hard as f to track it down and I've ended up flying around in circles for a few minutes till it seemingly takes pity on me and finds it lol.

The easiest missions I've found (other than straight up 'ferry cargo to location') are the 'assist local enforcement' missions, because you're often flying into an ongoing combat and barely have to contribute. One time I flew in, blew up one little pirate and the cops killed the rest and paid me :pac

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:35 pm

My first missions have been clearing out minefields. One was just a minefield, no extracurricular activities, and the other had like, a single pirate, who couldn't even stand up to the stock laser on my Platypus. :pac

On the other hand, getting a blackbox location in the middle of another mission got me quickly killed once I got curious enough to track it down. So there's definitely a risk when exploring some of the optional tangents that can proc in the middle of seemingly unrelated jobs, which is interesting.

I'm just gonna assume that answering distress signals is a bad idea this early. Sorry folks, yer on yer own.

Double Damage has been patching this thing like twice a day since it came out. Comin' for the Star Traders folks in the due diligence department. Also, people keep turning the really big space truck into pigs.

https://rebel-galaxy.com/patch-notes-august-16th-2019/

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:37 am

I did some custom painting, it's super easy to import images, I had actually overthought it by converting to .tga - you can just browse to any .png with transparency and link it directly into the game, with amazing results.

Power Girl ended up coming out a bit low res, I ran a 'sharpen' over her to bring out some of the lines better. The C-F logo on the wings came out great though! Also continued my trend of rainbow vents.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Hmm, a sharpen pass... I gotta try that out, some of the .pngs I've imported have turned out super low-res despite being pretty large vectors and I'm not sure if that's the fault of the source image, the tool, or my lack of practice.

The projector tool also has a ton of settings I need to fiddle with that could be affecting my results. Ditto with the scaling and distance, maybe.

...everytime I try to use the paintbucket tool it turns my entire ship that colour instead of just the bits I'm trying to paintbucket :pac so I definitely need more practice. I love the paint tool though and it still blows me away that it exists. I've spent tons of time just tossing on decals and seeing how many of my images work acceptably.

As for actual gameplay, the autopursuit is amazing and I feel like it's giving me a huge leg-up in fights I have no business hanging in, let alone winning. Getting the cash for the next ship is slow going though, plus I don't wanna sink too much money into the starter garbage truck (even if it all carries over to the next ship.) I'm at the point where I need a jump drive, too. Ain't much in Texas. I should just pull the trigger and go.

I love the radio station with all the Bebop-esque music on it - it's even got some funk, ska, and surf rock, so it has the entire feel surrounded, not just the jazz. They really did their homework with that one. But the game's non-radio soundtrack is also very good. Maybe even more Firefly than the original.

Can't wait to see what mod support does for this game. There's already tons of paintjobs on Nexus if yer interested, but I'm holding out for new ships and cockpit flair.

https://www.nexusmods.com/rebelgalaxyoutlaw

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:13 pm

The C-F came out low res when I tried to do it smaller than that, so potentially it's just a scaling issue - though it's hard to superscale stuff without a lot of decently sized flat surfaces on the ships (at least this one I'm using).

Look to buy an auto-cannon once you have more than a couple of hardpoints, it reloads a lot but uses no power and does double damage to hull which is great for finishing fights. Currently using 2x Gauss, 1x auto-cannon. Gauss are pretty great early-midgame, they have really long range (~10km, basically double of your starting laser), high projectile speed and they sound ballistic which to me feels more like Bebop/Battlestar and I'm into it. They have pretty high power draw though, so you'll want to upgrade your powerplant and fire in short bursts.

Currently I'm considering a build with the image targeting missiles which are great against shields, and then switching to two auto-cannons to tear up ships once I get the shields down. It's mostly a theorycraft though.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Travis Baldree the more videos he posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAn4PNRRSrU

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Just randomly scanning in the next system after Texas (Colorado?) gave me coordinantes for valuables, which I guess works a bit like coordinantes for black boxes. Maybe slightly risky, but only a couple pirate fighters were there, and they fell basically instantly to my stock heat-seekers. Got a bunch of Alien Specimens for my trouble which are apparently worth quite a bit, at least for an earlygame pickup. Nice.

Checking out Port Denver though, woof, I came out of autopilot right in the middle of a huge furball between the local police and a rather nasty large pirate force, with some capital ships on both sides I think, huge beam weapons going off everywhere. I didn't survive that one, but it was wild.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:35 pm

If you ask bartenders about rumours, they will often point you at a ditched stage of goods somewhere like "G15 of Colorado". Of the two I picked up one had a few pirates around but the other was just free money sitting there in space. The co-ord squares are large though, you can't just jump in anywhere in G15 and find them. So far both have been in nebula for me, so zoom in on the map and go to the colourful bit :pac

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:38 am

(Heard at Gamescom about a game with P v E v P [paraphrase]):

"It's hard to explain, you really need to play it to understand."

Uh, not that hard. All players are trying to eliminate a certain enemy or horde, but only one victor is allowed, such that you have to decide when to kill other players. Neat in concept. So long as the threat is big enough that one player cannot feasibly down the enemy on their own.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:47 am

Sony has acquired Insomniac

https://kotaku.com/sony-buys-spider-man ... 1837378300

They've typically been a strong Sony-first kinda studio already, though they have had multiplatform stuff out from time to time, sometimes even starting as Xbox exclusives, at least in the case of Sunset Overdrive.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Man, I wasn't interested in what I saw before, but this new footage for Death Stranding is pushing the needle solidly into will-not-play territory. Nothing seems interesting about that bit of gameplay.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Humankind could also be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDivjMzbLWg

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... humankind/

Though the Endless games have been a little hit-and-miss over the years. Still, it's interesting to see Amplitude doing a kinda-sorta take on Civilization with a different bag of tricks. There aren't too many direct Civ competitors, really, despite its age. At The Gates came out and didn't really do anything for anyone. Can't think of another one more recent than that.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:16 pm

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1 ... 9293640704

Yoooo!

E: For once I will use my Switch for another game on Friday XD Curious about the music, since I liked the Splatoon stuff despite never playing that series.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm

hell yeah I'll be right there with you.

if the music is the Shambhala battle theme I'll spend the whole weekend giggling like an idiot. (It'll probably just be the first battle theme or maybe the Eagle & Lion theme.)

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:41 pm

That Kerbal trailer got me right in the feels. Still probably not something I'll play, but I look forward to other people having fun with it :pac

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 pm

Fuck yeah we got magic coming to Sims 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09ld07hEVc

I had a bunch of fun with the witches/warlocks in Sims 2, and I'm suddenly surprised it took them this long to run a Harry Potter angle on SimMagic.

More trailers out of Gamescom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCk6Jk7DvrA

Mount & Blade Bannerlord is finally getting close, and I'm soooo ready!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glkaJkd0ow

I didn't finish Wasteland 2, but enjoyed its systems so I'm still pretty excited about the third one.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:38 pm

Well that Wasteland 3 trailer is far better that whatever the hell that was they dropped at E3 at least. It still looks super weird in ways I can't quite put my finger on, and I should really play Wasteland 2 first, but it's neat that the series is still going.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhKL7povZI4

Figured some of you that don't know of her might be interested in this.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Star Renegades keeps looking better with every trailer.

https://youtu.be/3Fe0gqTU3Bg

The same folks put out Halcyon 6 a while back, which I really liked in theory, but bounced off several times trying to get deeper than a few hours in and I'm not really sure why. It had a ton of things I like but didn't quite click them all together I guess. Maybe this one will hit harder.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm

TP: Alright, I didn't watch the whole video, but does that mean that "Aerith" is the canon spelling rather than "Aeris" now, since that must be what the remake is going with? I'll have to get used to that.