CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by Delthazar » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:34 am

John Layfield wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 am
FF14 is great until it demands you play with other humans all the time, which is awful.
D'ya still play? I parked my archer ass on Adamantoise. I have no idea if rolling a human (hyun, whatever) archer was a smart choice but it's the only non-mage ranged class I have access to on a 30-day trial.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 am

I haven't played in a while. I doubt I could even get into my account by now. For me, it was a great game until level cap, when the Real Final Fantasy XIV Starts Here, and that's just a pain.

Race/class picks don't matter too much as in the full game you can change class at will (and IIRC there is some cross-class pollination), and race is mainly a cosmetic feature.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:19 pm

I wonder how long it takes FFXIV to open up its cosmetic customization post-character creation. Gotta have my pretty princess dress-up.

FFXIV kinda has me in the mood to reinstall Secret World and see how that thing is these days since it rebooted itself as Secret World Legends a while back and made everything free. You might like that one, it's basically a western SMT as an MMO-lite.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:03 pm

I may be way outdated but glamor was generally a post-game thing (or may have only been worth doing post-game because of how quickly you upgrade gear and the cost sunk into glamor), although you could dye your gear after doing a quest at level 15-ish? Physical customisation comes from Fantasia items, which are RMT (although occasionally SE would give out one or two for free).

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:59 am

The Xenogears collaboration on FF:BE is almost over and I've nabbed six of the nine characters:

Have: Fei (Woo!!!), Elly (Also woo!), Billy, Rico, Emeralda and Chu-Chu

Do Not Have: Citan, Bart and Maria

I like Citan and Bart but to get them I'd have to either burn through most of my remaining tickets or start spending real money. Not sure I'm ready to cross either bridge yet.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:13 am

Pulled pretty heavy on the first Xenogears banner, got 3 Fei, 2 Elly, and a Bart. Skipped the second banner, since Esther and Sylvie are so strong. Only got one Sylvie. :sadface: About to break out the UOC's.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Speaking of collabs, Epic Seven is currently doing one with Guilty Gear. They added Sol Badguy as a free unit and Baiken as gacha.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Yup. Got 4 Baiken.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:18 pm

Ooh, that's pretty cool.

I've said it before, when FF:BE does a Chrono Trigger collab, I'll legit spend basically whatever I have to to get everything related.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 01, 2019 1:43 pm

FFXIV continues. I'm enjoying my time with this one, dunno if I'll stick with it past my freebie 30 days, but I dig it.

Uh, that said, I do keep hitting my head on some weirdly old-ass bits of MMO design I didn't really expect to see in an MMO as modern and active and high budget as this. Since Layfield mentioned dyes, welp, that's one. Fuckin' dyes. Why are dyes still a thing? Just... let me recolour stuff with swatches or a picker UI like in anything else. Gating super basic gear customization with vendor items, or some you have to craft, and that I can't even preview, man, what is this, the dark ages. at least these dyes aren't fuckin' temporary like they were in Tera or whatever, christ

maybe not an issue for anything but ranged classes, but mobs with invisible boundary ranges that go invulnerable and reset their positions AND restore to full health when accidentally kited too far by, say, my archer, fuuuuck that, what's the point

also maybe stop placing quest interactions within aggro range of unrelated mobs and/or interrupting interactions at all when hit by stuff, this is especially bad if there just happens to be a goddamned Fate boss sitting right next to my totally unrelated objective, thanks for that

yo Square while I'm here telling you how to run yer business maybe just automatically hand over quest items when I'm talking to the NPC who wants 'em rather than making me do this right-click > hand over stuff from my inventory, c'mon, I got places to be

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Wed May 01, 2019 2:25 pm

Delthazar wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:43 pm
Fuckin' dyes. Why are dyes still a thing? Just... let me recolour stuff with swatches or a picker UI like in anything else. Gating super basic gear customization with vendor items, or some you have to craft, and that I can't even preview, man, what is this, the dark ages. at least these dyes aren't fuckin' temporary like they were in Tera or whatever, chris
I mean, what are we to believe, that you have some sort of magic color-changing trousers or something? *snort*

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Wed May 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Archaic? I've been farting around in City of Heroes, since it was recently revived for it's 15 year anniversary. Walking down the street, you'll see people doing things like, reading the newspaper, listening to a boombox, and carrying around books, all without a single cell phone in sight. Hell, when they wanted you to be able to communicate long distance, they designed a fancy communicator rather than just give you a cell phone. Archaic, he says...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 01, 2019 5:51 pm

John Layfield wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:25 pm
I mean, what are we to believe, that you have some sort of magic color-changing trousers or something? *snort*
it's part of my technicolour dreamcoat

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Fri May 10, 2019 7:09 pm

life is strange 2: episode 3
Spoiler :
i said fuck no to the heist. looks like finn is alive, cassidy is injured, and i am missing an eye.

at least I got laid :fingerguns:

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon May 13, 2019 3:15 am

cybersix wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:09 pm
life is strange 2: episode 3
Spoiler :
i said fuck no to the heist. looks like finn is alive, cassidy is injured, and i am missing an eye.

at least I got laid :fingerguns:
Spoiler :
I kissed Finn, went in on the heist because it seemed Daniel was going to either way, Finn isn't injured and Cassidy is nowhere near the place. Marrill heard us and threatened the three of us with a shotgun, I told Daniel to use his power and he got a little bit shot but fucked up that room and everything.

That glass to the eye, I think Sean is dead. The next chapter seems to imply Daniel is alone. It seems that happens regardless of your choices. Also the safe was open and money was strewn about the place, is the implication that Daniel took my advice and ran? It just seemed odd that the next morning pan around the room didn't have Daniel at all.

On the one hand I hope Sean isn't dead because I love him and a lot of the mechanics seem to revolve around his skills, but on the other, it's a ballsy fucking move to switch protagonists in episode 4.

If Sean is dead... I'm sorry Lyla, that I promised we'd meet again. If not, I got a sick tattoo and no depth perception.

EDIT: With a bit of distance from the ending, it seems that the next episode we may play as Sean looking for Daniel. If that is Daniel in the preview then some yearrrs have passed.
Last edited by Falcon Critical on Mon May 13, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 am

More general thoughts on LiS Ep3:

I really liked the characters and community it built up this time, Ep2 felt like a bit of a slog and I guess that was kind of to get through the feeling of isolation, but this chapter felt much more Life is Strange, in that there were a bunch of cool characters I wanted to get to know.

The collectables are getting nefariously tricksy now, holy shit.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat May 25, 2019 3:48 pm

I was ponderin' poking a little at Dauntless now that it's outta beta. It's also free and fully crossplay on all platforms, which is nice. It would be a really easy thing for folks to squad up in should folks be lookin' to squad up.

I should just pull the trigger on Monster Hunter World instead but maybe Dauntless is a decent lite training wheels version of that and possibly more solo-friendly.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun May 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Watching Legend of the Seeker made me want to play Skyrim again, so I reinstalled that and got trapped in the modding cycle... and now I can't get near any of the main cities without the game crashing so I'm gonna play some Fallout 4 instead :pac

I did never get around to the Nuka World DLC so there's some new content I have been meaning to get to.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Far Harbor is probably still the best of those add-ons, but Nuka World is a really solid runner-up. It has a lot of fun callbacks, too, some kinda obvious and some really neat unexpected old things, so keep yer eyes peeled.

And should you happen to hate Nuka World for whatever raisin, it's totally possible to do an end-run around its scenario and complete it from a whole other angle. :shh

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun May 26, 2019 5:00 pm

The Skyrim mod crashes have left me a little gun-shy on dropping any new mods into F4, at least in the meantime. I think I'll just play the game for a time before I look into adding or updating any mods. I am interested in that mod that let settlements build themselves though, as much as I have grown attached to the settlements I've built myself.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon May 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Started playing Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. I have a translation patched version of FE6 that I was playing but it got hard as fuck very quickly, so I decided to switch over to this one. This one seems easier so far. So far...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 29, 2019 6:06 pm

If you really wanna go nuts I think I saw some folks talking about a new translation of Thracia 776. :pac

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed May 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Yeah, I retweeted it this morning. It's on my ever-growing list.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:17 am

Well, it took more doing than it should have, but I finally got Shining Force CD and it's sequel Shining Force Final Conflict working on my system. Time to see how well these games have aged.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:04 am

Those are side stories, right? And, still in that SF strategy battle style?