CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
cybersix
ALIENS

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by cybersix » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:00 am
I feel you on the attack announcements... who EVER thought that was a good idea, to announce your moves to your enemies?
On the other hand, it was really useful how Nikea would announce her special moves when you dueled her...

The end of disc one of Lost Odyssey gave me a lot of bad feelings. Great game.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:39 am

Folks who played both Ni No Kunis...

Do you need to have played NNK2 to fully enjoy NNK2? I never got to the first one and my PS3's currently sitting in storage, but I read 2 has a kingdom-building aspect that's a little like Suikoden.

Online randos say they're almost totally unrelated, but just thought I'd ask here too.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:40 am

Regarding LiS2 theories:
Spoiler :
So looking at his diary it's pretty clear that Sean is a furry, or at least interested. With this in mind it seems that Lyla (knowing this about Sean) encouraged Jenn to do a kitty outfit for Halloween. Then when Sean was like "why is her profile pic related to me?" it's because of that halloween outfit being furry-adjacent. That's kinda cool.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:54 am

Heh, I can roll with that.

Been thinking about that callback
Spoiler for LiS1 & 2 :
although I suppose this was implied by the Save Chloe ending, deer wandering into the ruins being a pretty clear nature reclaiming the town visual, I still find it interesting that Arcadia Bay was apparently totally abandoned afterwards and remains that way years later.
also, thinking back to Before the Storm speculation
Spoiler for BFS, LiS2 :
a lot of the speculation, which was never really resolved, about Rachel having some kind of power that may have kicked off what eventually becomes the storm, is maybe closer to what Daniel appears to have, if we take his Force-y telekinetic bursts as a wind power instead, or something.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:14 am

Spoiler for LiS1 & 2 :
It was kind of stressed quite a lot during LiS1 that the town was dying, like the fishing industry was failing and it seemed pretty much Blackwell and the Prescotts were the only ones doing well for themselves. It's not surprising that even if there were survivors that they wouldn't bother to rebuild, the cost would be high and there's basically no money to be made.
Spoiler for BFS, LiS2 :
I'm not sure Rachel had powers exactly, the only time it really came up was her screaming at that tree. It's clearly a world where people can have powers though, and that tree did go up like an effigy.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm

I've been playing a lot of Let It Die again lately now that it's out on Steam. Guess I could've just patched up the PS4 original. Ehh! Feels like it performs better on the PC. Anyway.

I dig this game a lot more than the internet and my own common sense say I should. I don't feel like the free-to-play model here is anywhere near as bad as the supposed consensus indicates. There are microtransaction hooks, sure: they're tutorialized exactly once on yer first death and then buried in a menu. No sales ads on startup or any of the usual winks 'n' nods during gameplay. It's not a gacha either, so... no gacha levers to pull, obvs.

Hell, if you play carefully and patiently enough - and as a roguelite-ish hacky-slashy action RPG, that's probably how you should be playing as a habit - chances are you'll accumulate everything you need from quest and login rewards faster than can actually spend it all. Watch and learn enemy patterns and you won't die a lot. Don't die a lot and you won't really spend anything you can't easily (and freely) replace. Simple!

It is a tad drab looking, though; a little more colour would go a long way. But as a SUDA51 joint, the real colour is the characters, the window dressing, the general goofiness. Uncle Death is worth the download alone. You can sprint into running dropkicks that would make Okada proud, sneak up on people and nail 'em with german suplexes, dive from above into sweet hurricanranas. The soundtrack is full of Japanese punk, metal, Akira Yamaoka's creepy chill ambient pieces, and some deep dives into Katamari-ass weirdness. Midbosses are Silent Hill body horror abominations one moment, and then... this guy... the next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ4mlfp4TYE

It's got personality, y'know? And personality goes a long way.

It's also a pretty great podcast game. All the best soundtrack stuff plays in your waiting room and not really in the dungeon itself (though you can set individual dungeon tracks to play in the waiting room if you like 'em that much, and vice-versa - there's even a few radio station styled playlists that run though all 250+ songs) and it's a fairly story-light game in general, so you won't be missing any huge hour-long cutscenes full of voicework or anything - though the VA that is here is good to great.

So if you've got a podcast backlog to kill or YouTube/Twitch/Netflix binge to get through on another device or a second monitor, Let It Die is kinda perfect for that. It's not always a brainless pushover, but it's also no Dark Souls by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the time you can safely chill 'n' grind 'n' multitask. I often find myself getting vastly overprepared and raiding other people's waiting rooms (there's a pretty neat asynchronous multiplayer component for that) as I catch up on streams. It's good times.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Anyone else try Dragalia Lost? I was wondering if these long ass downloads keep happening. Also, it runs a little laggy on my phone, so I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:42 pm

I've been playing it. It's a decent mobile action-RPG and I like the story segments. But you're right, it's fairly high-maintenance. The long downloads will eventually end but it drains my phone faster than most games.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Yeah, I canned it. The fighting is an interesting twist, but I'm just not interested enough to deal with the downloads, and something about the characters all being unique to this game makes it less interesting. Or, maybe it's the cutesiness. I don't know. I'm thinking, at this point, there isn't much that could knock out FEH for me; even though I'm only half-heartedly playing it.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm leaning towards canning it too. I just did a whole bunch of rolls and got virtually nothing I wanted. The rarity rates for this game just haven't been worth the grind so far.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Speaking of mobile games, Epic Seven just got a global/english language release and it's sooo pretty. It really reminds me of Valkyrie Profile but a lot prettier.

It's a bit fanservicey, but there's a decent spread of characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2C9ts04WY

Most of the whales I chat with about KOF98 UMOL have left that game because the support team are so bad, and it looks like this is the new hotness.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 pm

I've been playing Breath of the Wild again. I enjoy it. I also have been playing Farmville 2 on my phone....I know, I know. It's actually a pretty good game!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Don't let anyone shame you for enjoying mobile games or farm games or whatever, it's all good

like, the best game of 2016 was Stardew Valley, so there ya go

Flarecake

Post by Flarecake » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Thanks, Del! I'd recommend it, if anyone else here is into that. It's a good timewaster. There's quests and things to keep it interesting. If you do, let me know so we can start a Co-Op together. :P

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:49 pm

My phone is trash otherwise I'd probably jump in. I should really get a tablet for these things.

Suddenly I'm reminded of that Animal Crossing game we were all in for a hot second, I wonder if that's gotten any better since I bounced off it ages ago. 🤔

In other news I guess I should finally fire up Crusader Kings 2

https://twitter.com/JDespland/status/10 ... 5390961665

(assuming this isn't buried in one of the couple dozen DLC packs)

Flarecake

Post by Flarecake » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Yeah, I got out of the Animal Crossing game a long time ago. It just didn't really grab me like I thought it would.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Del is right that any game you enjoy playing is a good game for you. Mobile gaming gatekeeping is dog shit. Games are fun, play fun games.

But the best game of 2016 was Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I even wrote an article on it back in the day.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

The best game of 2016 was Overwatch. Stardew Valley. Overwatch. Star...watch O'Valley. Hmm. It's 2018 and the top of my org chart for that year is still tied.

...if I even try to settle on a final order for 2017 my head's gonna crack, that year was intense.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm

I got sick of the villagers all being the same archetypes in the Animal Crossing game rather than being unique characters. Plus, endless fetch quests got boring.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Delthazar wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm
Nier.

2017 was a great year. But that was the first game I thought of when I read your line about 2017 and that seems like a decent litmus test.
Nier.

2017 was a great year. But that was the first game I thought of when I read your line about 2017 and that seems like a decent litmus test.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Maybe I'll play Nier someday. Square rarely puts it on sale anywhere for less than like 20-30% off.

For me 2017 will always be the year of the great Horizon Zero Dawn/Night in the Woods/Persona 5 deadlock, and had I played Yakuza 0 that year (and I suppose I could apply it to the list retroactively) boom, suddenly that's a four-way tie.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah, none of those titles are exactly clunkers.

And I guess Yakuza 0 was 2017 overseas, huh? I'd probably give that second behind Nier then. Yakuza 0 is something very special.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:07 pm

I have Horizon Zero Dawn on my shelf because I bought it at a local used game store and I've yet to touch it. I need to finish my 439809380 other game files in progress first...

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:01 am

I've gotten to the point where I'm not sure I should ask for games for Christmas, because I won't get to them. So sad.

Flarecake

Post by Flarecake » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm

I want Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee for Christmas.