CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by Delthazar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Falcon Critical wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 pm
Came across this video today. The actress for Jesse Faden in Control takes you on a tour of the Remedy offices as her character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIDr-rzzOdU
ugh, I have to find an acceptable way to play Control. or like... wait until I upgrade, I guess... whenever that happens.

(someone give me a new video card okay)

also I guess we're both riding the Neo Cab train. cab. whatever. I got the Switch version though, which is just kinda what I do now. If there's a Switch version of anything that's probably the version I'm getting. As it happens, Bastion and Transistor are both on sale on Switch for basically nothing. Got both on Steam for years. Not sure I care, might rebuy 'em both on Switch and actually finish 'em both there.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:40 am

Had Neo Cab crash on me during the second night/shift, will be a good test of how often it saves. I'm having fun though, some very entertaining passengers.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Played a bunch of Untitled Goose Game last night with C6. That's how you should consume the Goose, I think: either with a friend or on a stream, 'cause having a buddy or a chat around to help soundboard the stealthy-puzzly stuff is super helpful and a lot of fun, and it's neat seeing all the bits one person might hit a wall on but another sees the solutions for immediately. And the stuff neither person can solve. :pac

So it's maybe a better party game than you might expect. I dunno where it'll place on my GOTY list - christ, it's already about that time, isn't it - 'cause it's just so weirdly specific, but it earns its zeitgeist, I'd say.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm

I love the memes of that game but since I already watched the Vinesauce video and know how it ends, I'm not inclined to buy it. Unless it's *really* so much more fun to play than just watch.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am

I'll probably end up picking it up, because fuck that gardener.

I agree it makes for a pretty good party game. At the very least, it's great to have someone share your goose antics with. I imagine it plays better than just watching it, but I knew nothing about it until Sunday!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 am

Next game on my list is Indivisible. I always liked Skullgirls style, but the tech-heavy fighting game genre kept me away. Having that art direction in a Valkyrie Profile style RPG? Hell yeah! Have been watching this one for some time, real excited that I get to jump in finally!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Indivisible looks fantastic, plus there's a Switch version on the way, so I'll probably play it this year unless that port gets delayed. Love how it looks, dig what I hear about its sense of humour, and yeah, seeing the Valkyrie Profile combat system again after all these years is a hoot.
cybersix wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am
I imagine it plays better than just watching it, but I knew nothing about it until Sunday!
Now that yer on twitter you'll know about future geese games a minimum of six months ahead of time, not to mention all the memes, and even crossover memes. There's a lot of Untitled Goose Game/Fire Emblem Three Houses art out there.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Needed a break from 3H and started Tokyo Xanadu+. I immediately noticed the similarities in the graphics and font to the Trails of Cold Steel series (music is similar, too). Kept playing and... Towa is my teacher!? Okay, I knew it was more than just a graphical engine coincidence after that. And then I got to the book store and saw actual Trails of Cold Steel references. Pretty neat. Didn't know any of that going in. Also appreciating the funny item descriptions.

But now I feel guilty for not finishing ToCS2 and I think I should go back before continuing.

That said, battle system is way different, but I'm liking it. I also loved the first boss theme but can't find it on Youtube (I can find the fight, just not the song by itself). Great music so far.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:35 pm

It does have good music. Some of it is just serviceable but some tracks really stayed with me after I finished.

The combat is, I'd say, standard. You can min/max it if you really want but I didn't find much desire to. And for the most part I was a bit disappointed by the dungeons and monster designs. Nothing too memorable. But I appreciated that combat wasn't ultimately a huge part of the game.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 pm

So, in DQ11, there's a quest where you have to lead a gay pride parade, and it's pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIgg8vzJpfE

And yes, you do get to keep the outfit. Look out, evil, here I come, and I'm faaaaaaaaabulous!

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm

While that's a cool scene, it reminded me of why I didn't get into Dragon Quest... it just moves too slowly for my tastes.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Needs more

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:04 am

Bier_Engel wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:00 pm
While that's a cool scene, it reminded me of why I didn't get into Dragon Quest... it just moves too slowly for my tastes.
This quest was actually annoyingly slower than most of the game. You have a sprint option that's damn fast and you get a horse early on so travel is pretty fast, and there's now a customizable auto option for combat that really speeds things up.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 am

cybersix wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:13 am
goose antics
https://twitter.com/sarahhiraki/status/ ... 52832?s=20

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Trying to burn through my backlog a little 'cause goddamnit October is rapidly coming to an end already, before we know it we'll be balls-deep in GOTY chat, so, let's mosey.

Wolfenstein Youngblood: I put a couple hours into this last night, which according to the stats page was enough to hit almost 30% story completion? But I also unlocked the main hub which has a bunch of sidequest stuff so I guess that's where the meat of the length/replay probably comes from. That's fine - I like short games, I have other stuff to do, at least in theory.

Anyway, having not played the previous new-continuity Wolfensteins yet, starting with this one is certainly An Odd Choice considering it retains that continuity while also dramatically shifting its protagonists and setting. I got little or no context for returning characters, references, or story beats. I'm not sure it matters much though; the Sisters Blazkowicz are super fun and charming and pretty much carrying the whole thing by themselves. Their banter is almost... Third Street Saints adjacent sometimes, which is working for me far better than I ever would've expected. Even if Youngblood doesn't crack my top ten or drops the ball in other ways, Jess & Soph will probably still appear in a Best New Characters category, and their first kill might be a Best Moment.

The 80s-ness of Youngblood also feels much more natural here than it has been elsewhere lately with plenty of other games running all that stuff into the ground ever since... Hotline Miami and Far Cry Blood Dragon, probably. The nostalgia play here comes across as way more interesting, thought-out, and purposeful, given the alternate universe take on it definitely required more than a little worldbuilding - it's closer to Fallout's retro-future in terms of effort, actually. They didn't just drown everything in a neon colour palette and a vapourwave soundtrack and call it day.

The game does keep throwing video memory warnings at me despite running at a very pretty near-constant 1080/60FPS with no signs of stability issues or crazy spinning fans, so that's odd. Moment-to-moment shooting and traversal is fine or better-than-fine but I don't particularly enjoy how the menus function with keyboard/mouse. (Quick note: my mouse is kinda busted and my keyboard is trash, so there we go.) Playing a co-op game solo also means the Army Of Two/Kain & Lynch/50 Cent Blood On The Sand two-player hooks often feel pretty goofy. As it would even if I were playing co-op, maybe.

I'll probably finish it, I'll probably continue to enjoy it, but I doubt I'll get too involved in the side material or think about it too much after I'm done, aside from the sisters themselves. A good choice for an honourable mention.

...up next-ish...

Wargroove
Sumatra: Fate of Yandi*
Atma
Blast Zone!
Geneshift
HOME
missed messages
Mushroom Cats
Plasticity
Kind Words*
Crying Suns
Neo Cab

* Brought To You By Layfield™ (I'll try to hit those sooner than the others)

#BuildTheList: https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/delsa ... 19/365213/

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:49 pm

The Outer Worlds is out tomorrow, or... tonight, possibly, at least for PC users, since Epic lists it as available now and I have it installing. I won't have time to get into it until tomorrow regardless but that'll probably be my whole weekend right there.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Out already here in the future, I'm prob gonna play Indivisible as a priority first though.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm liking Outer Worlds a lot so far. I think descriptions like "warm blanket" are fair, this is definitely one of those, but in a comfortable, inviting kinda way. I'm only a couple hours in so maybe it'll diverge more from the form a little later.

Otherwise you could call Outer Worlds a mix of Fallout New Vegas + Firefly with a dash of Mass Effect and Futurama.

It does throw a very Obsidian big choice at you fairly early. I'm not 100% confident in my decision there, which probably just means it's all working as intended. Chatter on Twitter and elsewhere hints that I likely missed a few less obvious conclusions for that bit, so maybe I'll hit those on another run, and try to explore more on this first run.

Negatives? I feel like the character creator isn't as robust as I'd like. I found it pretty hard to get a look I was satisfied with and I still feel a need to go back and fiddle more when/if I get the opportunity. There's also... something about the eyes in this game that's bothering me. Almost across the board, everyone's got Cloud Strife mako eyes or something. Like at the last moment they tossed out their own art and installed one of those terrible Skyrim/Fallout eye mods.

e: Parvati will be on my Best New Character list at the end of the year, she's adorable.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:39 am

I'm getting to the end of Indivisible, really enjoying it. There was one platforming section that I felt was asking too much of me, basically requiring like 15 inputs in sequence without a break. It does do a good job of giving you new traversal powers constantly, so I feel now if I had to go back to that section I could cheese it which is nice.

Characters-wise there's a lot of fun to be had, standouts are probably Razmi the creepy shaman, Baozhai the gay panic pirate, Thorani the insta-mom-mode water goddess, Naga Rider the sentai hero, Ginseng and Honey the young child with a sentient radish hat... they're all good.

The combat took a bit of getting used to, I still just kinda spam buttons on attack and part of that is that you get so many attacks per character it doesn't feel like you need to optimise as much as you did in Valkyrie Profile where it was rare to get even three hits on a weapon. The blocking system annoyed me to start with, but I've gotten used to it and its not too punishing for the most part.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 pm

The new Nier Automata raid in FFXIV is pretty good.

One of the drops is 2B's dress. This is not gender locked. Square-Enix knows their audience.

https://twitter.com/holybleed/status/11 ... 3626491904

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:22 pm

The handful of MMO/FFXIV-inclined individuals at Giant Bomb played a bunch of that raid on Extra Life last night in various states of drunkenness/sleep deprivation and it seemed entertaining enough. Though maybe I never have to hear its music ever again after watching that.

I wonder if the 2B dress in Soul Calibur 6 is also not gender locked. I should jump in and check.

The Outer Worlds update: I'm still really digging it. A few nitpicks, and a couple solutions. First, I find SAM about as annoying and one-note as most folks I follow who are playing, so I might just... let him wander the ship but never talk to him again. In future playthroughs maybe I won't activate him at all. Ehh. Not all companion characters can be winners. The rest are good to great.

The game is also maybe a little too easy in general, at least for the first two or three areas - your exact story path depending, of course. Though I'm starting to hit some chop now a little ways through Monarch. Coincidentally, most of the armour in Outer Worlds is kinda ugly, while the not-quite-armour clothing items look way better, but have like a fraction of the stats at best.

...two-birds-one-stone solution? Don't wear armour, just roll out in those swank leather space captain jackets. You might have a much harder time in combat, and you won't get any use out of those armour mod items clogging up your inventory, but you'll look classy as fuck doing it.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:37 am

I'm into Outer Worlds now too, now that I have a decent powered rifle to smoke folks from the bushes I'm enjoying the combat. The main thing that bugs me ass to mouth is that you basically never see your character, even Fallout would cut angle to you during conversations. It's weird but it makes me feel invisible... and after I spent a bunch of time giving my character a vaguely surprised expression to go with the low intelligence trait.

Armour-wise I pilfered Felix's armour, since that has the kind of aesthetic I'm after (could use a scarf to be honest) and it's a 12 armour set of clothes. Highly recommended for space pirating. Since he's a heavy-weapons dude it makes more sense to throw bulky armours on him.

Wasn't expecting Ashly Burch right out of the gate, but always appreciate her VA.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:16 pm

I did eventually find actual-ass light armour that looks pretty cool, but my kingdom for a separate cosmetic slot that goes over armour, or just equipment layering so I can mix and match armour with clothes, even if that usually introduces some clipping jank. At least we can toggle helmet visibility, even if that also hides the eyepatches and top hats.

Most vendors seem to have random inventories that refresh when you leave and reenter their zones, if yer looking to collect all the space captain jackets from the armour guy on Groundbreaker or wherever else. I've put most of my crew in those leathers. Ellie's the only one who has a default wardrobe I really like.

A few more opportunities to actually see our characters would be nice, yeah. If you idle long enough the camera will spin around your party like it does in Fallout, but that and the menus are about it. In my pained efforts to create my usual character, I somehow ended up with Space Bjork, so it'd be nice to see more of her in the actual world.

A scoped/silenced hunting rifle gets a lot of work done. Yup, it's a Fallout-like alright. I usually open up with that and swap to a plasma rifle for its charged shots and splash damage, or just keep sniping if my companions are generating enough threat to be good distractions. Haven't tried any of the science weapons yet. Soon.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Just finished The Outer Worlds - or what I consider to be the canonical story path for Outer Worlds, anyway, give or take an epilogue slide or two I wouldn't mind a do-over on. I'm not sure I really care to doubleback and take the other route, considering what it probably entails. I ain't no bootlicker.

It'll take a minute for me to collect all my thoughts on it 'cause, yeah, there's some complicated thoughts here, but I mostly really liked it straight through, with some minor to moderate snags here and there which are tripping me up a little. I'll get there. It needs to digest.

...now I really oughta get back to The List before my willpower fades and I end up putting another couple dozen hours into Fire Emblem now that the Wave 3 DLC is out. :pacdown

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Fallen Order turned out to be a fairly easy Platinum. Just a little combat cleanup just before the end.

I quite liked it. I hope they do DLC missions, even if it's just Greez's world.