CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
cybersix
ALIENS

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by cybersix » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:59 am

I'm in the same boat as y'all. According to Backloggery I have 75 games I haven't finished. There's lots of stuff I'm interested in, and I keep seeing stuff go on sale, but why spend the money if I ain't going to play them?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Flarecake wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:06 pm
I want Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee for Christmas.
Here's a good article on the version differences and stuff but yeah, Team Eevee 4 lyfe

https://kotaku.com/pokemon-lets-go-eeve ... 1830502196

4 4 4 4 4 4 lyfe

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:05 pm

I don't know about the differences off hand, but I'd choose Eevee anyway.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:32 am

Man, I don't even look at my Backloggery any more, let alone update it.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:36 pm

I didn't look at the differences beforehand either. I just like Eevee better.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Hey buddy.

Did Rolf have Megid in Phantasy Star 2? Did that version of Megid drain the HP from your party members to cast itself, like this one does? Yikes.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm sorry, but those graphics are awful...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Yeah, it's doing that big-head style of super deformation a lot of mobile games do which almost always makes human characters look pretty awful. The monkeys from Super Monkey Ball (and the various hedgehogs I guess) get by okay, but everyone else... woof.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:53 pm

I just picked up Phantom Brave on Steam for $6, so I started playing that. I forgot what a pain in the ass it can be to get that first Bottle Mail, but it's worth it to get Snakish, as well as making stock piling the various weapons MUCH easier. The Changebook is really nice, too. Figuring out the controls was a bit weird, too, seeing as the game says buttons "2", "8", etc. I supposed that would make the game playable by ten key. Hmm... Might have to try that out.

So:

1 grab
2 accept
3 cancel/strike
4 menu
5/6 scroll left/right
7 zoom
8 Whatever random things R2 does

9 and 10 are the Option and Share buttons, respectively. 10 is the button for switching positions in a stack of characters. I forget what 9 does.

Sounds a bit funky, actually.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Have you played Survival Mode yet in Sega Heroes, Del? Fun, but once you start losing, it snowballs fast.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm

yo the new Sega Ages Phantasy Star for the Switch is out and folks are playing and streaming it and I found some cool art

https://segacity.tumblr.com/post/181091 ... sy-star-on

don't remember ever seeing this art for Noah/Lutz before, always loved that Alis though

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Nice!

Phantasy Star is fun but has that great 80s thing of barely telling you what you're doing or why. I'm not /entirely/ sure why I'm getting a spaceship for example. I can guess it's to go to the third planet and/or punch Lessic in the mouth though.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Heh, yeah. I always assumed you need Luveno's ship 'cause otherwise you can only go where the passenger ships at the spaceport happen to be going (which are probably firmly in the pocket of Big Lassic) but whether or not the game actually tells you that anywhere, who knows. (The 2005 remake might 'cause it added a ton of new dialogue.)

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 pm

the Sega blogs on Tumblr gettin' work DONE

https://segacity.tumblr.com/post/181085 ... sy-star-on

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:46 pm

In the Sega Heroes Events section:

"Unite: The Right Fight"

Oh boy, Sega...

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:25 pm

I started playing Thor of War yesterday. It is pretty hard. I had to drop it to the easy difficulty, and that tattooed bastard still gave me a hard time! I need to work on my retreating and stick-and-moving, but I've got down my axe throw-summon-repeat for clearing out distant bastards to ease busy battles. I guess I should work on paying attention to the enemy indicators. Staring at Kratos' back is weird, though.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 pm

Picked up Smash Brothers on the way home today. Damn, there's a lot going on with that game. It's fun but rather overwhelming.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:20 pm

me: i'm going to get drunk and play the bonus episode of life is strange: before the storm

me 45 minutes later (or whatever):

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:21 pm

oh fuck I forgot all about the bonus episode and now it's all flooding back

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 pm

out of morbid curiosity I've been poking at the freebie Android version of Phantasy Star 2. it's hard to think of a worse way to play this game. the touchscreen controls are whatever - an overlaid d-pad and buttons with opacity sliders, these are bad in every game they're in - but they disabled the in-game save system in favour of railroading people through ad-supported save states, which you can buy your way out of for a couple bucks... which is about a dollar more than it'd cost you to buy a proper version of Phantasy Star 2 on Steam or probably anywhere else.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Sounds like the version to stream, even better because I'd also be running it through an Android emulator.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:03 am

Delthazar wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 pm
but they disabled the in-game save system in favour of railroading people through ad-supported save states, which you can buy your way out of for a couple bucks
Every day we stray farther from Thor's light.

Let's follow up LiS: BtS with Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit!
Spoiler :
Thor christ DONTNOD, you win one BAFTA with Life is Strange and all of a sudden you decide you're going to go SUPER HARD with the narrative

Like if you thought Life is Strange could have used content warnings, get ready for this game. Fuck. I played the whole game getting ready for my dad to beat my ass starting anytime. It's accidentally the best survival horror game of 2018.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Heh, yup, pretty much.
Spoiler for Captain Spirit :
When I streamed Captain Spirit (blind, as one does) I wondered aloud if I should find some way to keep my alcoholic buddy from playing it or watching the VOD, considering. Aside from the child abuse theme, it's also a pretty convincing portrayal of the everyday life of an alcoholic, the behaviours, the dissembling, so... content warnings nested inside content warnings.
DONTNOD is very very good at this.

I've also been playing Return of the Obra Dinn because a copy somehow found its way into my library. I think I put in 10 hours last night? It's entirely engrossing. Other games trade on "one more turn" or "one more match" as their psychological hook to keep me from sleeping like a normal person. Obra Dinn is a totally different kind of game than anything doing those two things, but instead, it's blending elements of narrative adventure and detective adventure and reaching the Doritos bliss point closer to "one more discovery."

I'm probably still a ways away from hitting that domino that knocks a bunch of new discoveries into their places, but so far, each escalation I make towards that ultimate goal feels better and better. It's a wonderful way to build a mystery. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to jump back in and figure out who the hell that guy really is. Who is that man.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I really appreciate that technically every identity can be logic'd out independently, without brute force or even process of elimination. (Though I did both, to be honest)

I've also been lurking in Obra Dinn streams just because I find it really interesting to see what details people spot to make connections and deductions when compared to me or others and what they miss that I and others might have found obvious.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Been playing Danganronpa and just beat 2 today (as far as the main modes go). There's a side game that takes place in between those 2 but it's a shooter and I think I'll suck at it, so I think I'm gonna search for a Let's Play of that one and call it good. As for 3, I want to play it but it's still fairly new, so I'm going to wait for a better Steam sale because even the current discounted rate of $35 for a visual novel is pretty steep.