[XCOM] A L I E N A C T I V I T Y

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

[XCOM] A L I E N A C T I V I T Y

Post#1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Beaglerush got his hands on a preview of XCOM2 and made some fun videos that show a bit of how it plays.

Demo Mission 1
phpBB [video]

Demo Mission 2
phpBB [video]

Demo Mission 1 again (hardest difficulty)
phpBB [video]

Damn I'm excited!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [XCOM] 2 is coming, aliens won, made snakes, grew tits.

Post#2 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Just over three weeks left!

Do I jump right into CF-XCOM's beginning of the resistance? I'm hella tempted to do so, with all the customisation options this time I won't have to approximate nationalities or anything!

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#3 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:52 am

Humble has added all the old-school X-COM games to the Firaxis bundle. I tried starting a game of the original last night (a mere 16MB download!) and got precisely nowhere. This old Time Units mechanic is hard to wrap my 30-something brain around, thanks I guess to the total lack of tutorialization.

A friend of mine had the PS1 version when we were kids. The ambient soundtrack and the hidden movement stuff definitely holds up even now and is still pretty chilling. That's something the modern XCOMs kind of lack, but maybe there's mods for that stuff. The actual gameplay is about as clunky and unintuitive as you'd expect from a 25 year-old strategy game. The camera controls on the geoscape make we want to die.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#4 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:44 am

I got all the soundtracks from the old XCOM games at some point, and yeah they're very effective at creating tension, I can only imagine that combined with trying to keep your pieces alive.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#5 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:42 pm

I just happen to be mainlining some Enemy Within at the moment. it's actually my first time with the expansion stuff and I'm really impressed with how much it added. There's like an entire extra game of content squeezed in there, feels deeper than the usual expansion, which is nice, though it might be making the monthly calendar way busier than normal. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I haven't really messed with the new toys yet, cybernetics and genetics and so on, but I really like the new maps and missions. Newfoundland was a fucking riot, can't wait to try that on Classic and probably lose my whole squad (lost two this time, my best support got zombied on the way back, Zhang met an unceremonious end falling just a couple tiles short of the evac zone on the last turn before the bombing run.) The EXALT extraction missions are a nice change of pace and a (relatively) easy way to level rooks.

phpBB [video]

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#6 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Man watching some of what Long War did with Exalt makes those missions insane. The operative extraction missions are seriously "get the fuck out as fast as possible" missions because the Exalt troops get really strong and numerous. I'm kind of glad I never had to deal with that. They were difficult to the point that some people modded them back out of Long War. :pac

I've purposely not looked into what a lot of the aliens can do this time around, so I'm sure there are going to be some surprises coming our way.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#7 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:59 am

So I was having a look at the Soundtrack and it's all in OGG format. Which is apparently too flash and hipster to be played by iTunes. Fortunately there is also a second folder in WAV format, so I imported those to iTunes and then because I'm particular about this stuff, converted them all to MP3 and then went through and set album/artist/title/year/song order to make sure they categorise properly.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#8 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Am I supposed to lose three out of my four guys in that first mission, because it seemed like I could only do exactly what the game wanted (for tutorial raisins, I guess)?

Delthazar

Post#9 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Yeah, that always happens with the tutorial on. With the tutorial off the mission plays out like pretty much any other after it, so you can get through with no casualties or wipe the whole squad, probably.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#10 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Oh, you are not attacking my home turf! It's on!

True Perception

Post#11 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Squad sight? Right call. My sniper just blew away a sectoid from half way across the map!

Delthazar

Post#12 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Just wait until you get both Squadsight and Double Tap. :getin

True Perception

Post#13 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Fuck zombies!! That was a shit show! I came close to losing my best guy (Cpt./Heavy) and my medic, and both are now gravely wounded. And, there seems to be no easy battles in sight, with have my best people laid up. Holy crap!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#14 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:29 pm

A little hint is that council missions are always 100% thin men, so on regular difficulty they're pretty good missions for training up your rookies.

Delthazar

Post#15 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm not completely sure but I think Enemy Within may have mixed those up a bit. Maybe I'm just thinking of the Slingshot stuff that I think goes through the council. That might still be separate DLC.

Regardless of your version, building the Foundry can also get you another stopgap option for when your roster is filled with injuries, and the medical thing in the training school is usually the first thing I buy in there.

True Perception

Post#16 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:36 pm

This game is super addictive. I kept saying, "okay this is the last mission", or "let me just get this research/etc. real quick". It reminds me of Master of Orion, a touch.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#17 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Haha yep Firaxis are the masters of keeping that carrot just far enough in front of you that you can't help but keep going.

Delthazar

Post#18 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:22 pm

I really don't want to know how many hours of sleep I've lost to Civilization and its offshoots (going all the way back to the original!) and XCOM over the years.

Delthazar

Post#19 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Welp, the mod scene was nice while it lasted.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#20 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Mikumiku confirmed.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#21 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Decided to mess around with the character pool a little, and created the partners-in-time. Since there's no guarantee they both show up at the same time, I engineered a little backstory :pac

Spoiler :

Chloe is back to being downtrodden, Max is super intense in her quest! If I recruit them both in any game, they can change to laid back and happy-go-lucky.

Delthazar

Post#22 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 pm

I put those in spoiler tags just in case. :shh

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#23 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:54 am

Fair call.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#24 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:51 pm

So I've started a second campaign in XCOM-2, I was planning to just sorta do it like the first game and see what characters the game gave me and create a story around them... however I quickly realised my character pool was getting in the way of that. So yeah, my second run is pretty much the 3rd Street Saints running around with Deadpool and Gordon Freeman.

The new Alien Hunters DLC is interesting, there's a new mission which gives some hints as to what Vahlen has been up to and then these boss aliens show up on missions. The Snake King was a real hassle, its ability to freeze your troops in an area, and the less people you have to deal with it the harder it is to take out. The Berzerker Queen by comparison has been practically a cakewalk, I've been able to stunlock her and she didn't hit me a all.

Thor McOdin Senpai
Tenkai Star of Caffeine-Fueled / Swamp Lord / Can you apply the penal code to demons? / CF-NHL Runner Up 2016

Post#25 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:45 am

I don't have XCOM 2, but I did start a new(ish) game of Enemy Within. Compared to my last game, where I stormed the Alien Base with plasma weapons, but was defeated by 4 sectopods, I tackled this mission pretty quickly. I lost a major, but everything else was pretty solid. I'm also not allowing EXALT to get a jump on me and am preemptively launching covert missions. Have I reset the game often? Yes. Am I playing better overall? Yes.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”