[Final Fantasy] We are all Basch.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
Delthazar
The balance needs to be re-addressed. / DRAGONS! EAT THEM RAWWWW (0-38) / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia

Re: [Final Fantasy] We are all the-Basch.

Post#451 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Falcon Critical wrote:"I'm Baasch Von Ronsenburg from Dalmasca!" was really the FFX awkward laughing scene of FF12 for me, and it just draaaaaaagged.

Worth it retroactively for the old Mega64 skit. But yeah, pretty bad, though I still think the laughing scene is worse.

I watched Xavier stream a little XII last night. I love how the new job system works, I generally like how the remaster looks (though it's hard for me to suss-out its exact visual quality from a stream, much less a stream running through my forest internet), but there's definitely aspects of XII's overall direction which age it in ways no mere remaster can completely modernize without going much deeper (and spending much more money.)

Mainly it was the in-engine cutscenes I think. The way some of those are shot just feels super weird looking at them again in 2017. It's hard to even explain. I guess a lot of subtle iteration has happened in this area in the last decade which you don't always notice until it's gone. Not just in camerawork and editing, but also mocapping as well, probably. Going back to KOTOR after Mass Effect (or back to Neverwinter Nights after Dragon Age) might produce a similar jarring feeling.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#452 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Even if you accept that the laughing scene in FFX is supposed to be bad (and it is, make no mistake) there has to be a better way of getting that across to the player than annoying them too.

I really want to play FFXII but might wait on it. I dunno.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#453 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:24 pm

If it was sub-$30, I would totally jump.

HunterF
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#454 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Falcon Critical wrote:"I'm Baasch Von Ronsenburg from Dalmasca!" was really the FFX awkward laughing scene of FF12 for me, and it just draaaaaaagged.

Ugh, I just did that part and it suuuuucked. I started singing a little song about how much fun I wasn't having.

Also,
phpBB [video]

Also, better facial animations than Andromeda.

Delthazar
The balance needs to be re-addressed. / DRAGONS! EAT THEM RAWWWW (0-38) / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia

Post#455 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:33 pm

QL

phpBB [video]

I forgot about the audio issues. I guess they probably compressed the voice tracks to save space on the original DVDs, then lost the masters sometime afterwards, so they had nothing else to work with here. It's not that bad though. Kinda gives the cutscenes a silver age Hollywood feel. Heh.

I forgot how much I enjoy the story stuff in XII and its vaguely Shakespearean presentation which I guess is yet another shared trait of the Ivalice games I totally blanked on until now. Considering how much stock high fantasy has these days thanks to Game of Thrones and whatnot, this part of XII might feel more at home in 2017 than I realized.

$30 is the right price though, yeah. It should find itself on sale somewhere around that pricepoint by Christmas. I'll get it then.

Delthazar

Post#456 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:58 pm

John Layfield wrote:the laughing scene in FFX

phpBB [video]

Delthazar

Post#457 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 am

Final Fantasy XV is finally getting its PC version in early 2018... and also a "pocket" version for iOS/Android that's been stylized to look kinda like a PS1/PS2 de-make.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-pock ... 300284/amp

I guess if XV is dated for PC early 2018 we can probably expect XII HD on the PC later the same year.

e: ahahaha FFXV PC is 170GB

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#458 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:57 pm

That art style is downright bizarre, at least in my book.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#459 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 am

I've heard good things about 15, so I'd at least try a PC port, but there's no way my current laptop can handle it. It's been crapping out over streaming video lately. I want a desktop, next time around.

HunterF
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post#460 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Ya know, I already own two copies of this game, but I gotta admit, I'm tempted.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#461 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 pm

I feel like they could have cleaned that up a lot better. It still looks kinda muddy.

Delthazar

Post#462 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 am

FFXII hits the PC on February 1st with some extras.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/11/16880 ... date-steam

DHerder222

Post#463 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 pm

And Dissidia is out soon!

...I hope it isn't terrible.

Delthazar

Post#464 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 pm

I watched Giant Bomb play a little of that earlier on Unprofessional Fridays and it looks like a hot mess. But arena fighters/brawlers have never been my thing. If it were a traditional 1v1 fighter I'd probably be into it.

True Perception

Post#465 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Funny you should mention XII. I just started playing it on PS4.

DHerder222

Post#466 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 pm

As long as it's a "fun" hot mess a la the first two Marvel VS. Capcoms, I can work with it.

Delthazar

Post#467 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:25 pm

Please consult your physician to make sure Dissidia is right for you.

DHerder222

Post#468 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Some games are indeed pretty heavy on the explody effects.

But I agree, I would have preferred a traditional 3D fighter model like Tekken. Hell, why not super high-def 2D like Blazblue? It's a niche genre, sure, but the only people who are going to get amped for a Final Fantasy crossover are already down with the niche.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post#469 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Delthazar wrote:Please consult your physician to make sure Dissidia is right for you.

Lol. I remember liking the original PSP one despite hating fighting games. I got by well enough. How many more are there now? Is this the 3rd or 4th? ... or later?

DHerder222

Post#470 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 pm

I think it's technically a port of the 3rd, but they've combined every character and stage from the previous games so it's kinda all-in-one at this point.

Delthazar

Post#471 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:47 pm

DHerder222 wrote:But I agree, I would have preferred a traditional 3D fighter model like Tekken.

honestly I think all fighters at this point should be Tekken systems + Soul Calibur character customization + Mortal Kombat 9+/Injustice (?) story modes, then just apply whatever aesthetics you want on top of that. That combo would make a helluva Final Fantasy fighter.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#472 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Delthazar wrote:FFXII hits the PC on February 1st with some extras.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/11/16880 ... date-steam

Yess! I've been waiting for this. I played like 1/3 or 1/2 of FF12 on Playstation back when it came out, and I'm totally keen to give it another shot now that it's PCed!

What the - new game minus is a mode where you don't gain XP? That is weird AF.

Also what bonuses are there to new game+, should I start in that mode or just regular mode?

Delthazar

Re: [Final Fantasy] We are all Basch.

Post#473 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:35 pm

I haven't played XII since it came out in... 2006? ...and I'm not even sure if it was in that version but I'm guessing NG+ here works more or less the same as it does in most RPGs of the era: carried-over items, gear, levels, stats, etc.

I'd probably only start with NG+ turned on if you already know the combat and character progression isn't for you and therefore don't care about challenge or natural buildup and stuff. That said, I think the turbo toggle can be used in all modes, if you just wanna speed up combat and traversal.

Delthazar

Post#474 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Grabbed XII since it has that launch week discount which also stacks with my Humble discount. As a result it was like $20+ cheaper than the PS4 version, which is still like $60+ CDN on PSN right now, christ.

Big download though. Bigger than expected. 30GB or so? That's them remastered textures at work.

Let me know if the PC version has any weird issues I should be aware of, Falc.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post#475 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Haven't encountered any yet, the steam community seems to have issues with sound not happening quite often, but I've been all good.

The keyboard controls are very weird, so controller if you can.

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”