[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Re: [Game News] + Upcoming + General Games Chat

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm

I was on the fence about a Switch. If this game is legit enough, it might win me over.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:Looks kind of like an old PS1-era RPG.
Yeah, it's definitely reminding me of some of the weirder smaller JRPGs on the PS1/Saturn. Plus the interactive diorama look is a strong look. The producer on this previously headed the Bravely series so that's a good, solid pedigree, too.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm

I never actually played the Bravely games. From what I remember, the gameplay was applauded as creative and fun but the storylines were considered lackluster. Accurate?

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Pretty much. I played the first one and liked it, until the plot hit a certain point and a lot of shit repeated over and over (can't say why without it being a spoiler) so I sort of wanted to rush and get it over with at that point. For that raisin, I never played the second.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 am

Falcon Critical wrote:Seems Squeenix is continuing the nostalgia roll with Valkyrie Profile.

Presumably this is a port of the original game, which to be honest is probably better than any kind of remake. VP is one of my favourite games of all time.
Looks like they're bringing it to... smartphone? Not sure how well that battle system would translate.

I love VP and I'm still trying to hold out hope that this is some sort of path to a Valkyrie Profile 3. If wishes were horses, or however that goes.

I bought Exist Archive for cheap because it uses the same battle system. Haven't actually played it yet, because why would I do that? Thor I need me some of that sweet, sweet VP battle system though.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 am

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:39 pm

uuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh

goddamnit Hunter

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 pm

uuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

As much as I groan I do sorta have a possible stream idea in mind for this.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:47 pm

Crowdfunding support for SWERY's cat RPG/murder mystery The Good Life is back on.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/47 ... -good-life

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:04 pm

The folks adapting Pathfinder Kingmaker put up a features trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mP0AxgTZEA

It's weeeeird seeing those maps and things in a video game context and not in a Roll20 browser window or mess of PDFs.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:17 pm

"Rule by law or by chaos!" I hope there's a middle-ground that works too, but having a shitty base as a bad dude is at least pretty cool.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't know how exactly they're adapting the systems but if all the usual alignment stuff is in place (which it appears to be with those aesthetic capital variations) then governing via the neutral shades of the chart should totally be possible. A sizzle reel is probably always gonna play up the flashier extremes.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:23 pm

Hope it's good. But Paizo has been wanting to do a Pathfinder MMO for a looooong time and it's had to scale back its ambition considerably. Fingers crossed!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm

That MMO project is probably dead by now, yeah? It wouldn't have any bearing on anything now. Paizo's just the publisher/license holder on this one.

My only real concern with Kingmaker is that summer release window. It feels kinda too soon for this ambitious-ass features list, plus Owlcat is a freshman developer and the thing was crowdfunded, so that could all equal delays fairly easily.

But it's being written by Chris Avellone so even if it misses the summer it should hopefully still be well worth waiting for.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't even like MMOs and am way happier that the more realistic project is a single-player RPG.

One feature I've always wanted in an RPG is the ability not just to create your own character, but create an entire team and rotate which member you're controlling at any given time (the computer would be operating the others). Since Pathfinder is generally a team-based game, being able to create more than one character in the future and have them team up would be very, very cool.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:55 pm

DHerder222 wrote:One feature I've always wanted in an RPG is the ability not just to create your own character, but create an entire team and rotate which member you're controlling at any given time (the computer would be operating the others).
Then you'll be happy to hear that this game exists and it's called Icewind Dale. :pac

That would be adapting old-ass D&D system rules though. 3.0 probably. Hunter would remember better than I do. I doubt the recent remaster updated anything on the systems side.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Nice! I might look into that.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:32 pm

The Icewind Dale Remaster just updates the game to run on the same engine as Baldur's Gate II, and adds some new classes and such. Icewind Dale II runs on D&D 3.0, like the very first, pretty shitty version 3.0.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

effin' THAC0 all up in there.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Hey, THAC0 is all I know. I've only played Advanced.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:06 pm

Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, and Icewind Dale all use a simplified version of AD&D, and can be pretty fun if you value character and story over gameplay. You can also create your own party in the BG games, but those games have good recruitable NPC's I'd rather use.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 pm

Does Icewind Vale also have good NPCs? Or is it actually designed for create-your-own-team?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:15 pm

The latter. I don't remember seeing any recruitable NPCs in the first Icewind Dale. Never played the second.

The game will start by asking you to roll a team of six (?) or up to six (??) and then scale the difficulty accordingly (???). There were maybe premade, generic characters in the character creator for lazy people, but if so, they'd be like the premade player characters in the old-school Fallout games, so no one ever used them.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Yeah, Icewind Dale has no recruitable NPC's(without player mods) and is more of a dungeon crawler. BG/II is more story driven. Personally, I prefer BG, but I enjoyed Icewind Dale. If you're really interested, I'm sure GoG has the originals for pretty cheap, and the remasters aren't that expensive, either. Less than 20 bucks a piece, I think. Just keep in mind, all these games are 15-20 years old now(except for Siege of Dragonspear) and will require lotsa patience.