[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Game News] + Upcoming + General Games Chat

Post by Delthazar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Yikes, Valve just bought Campo Santo.

https://kotaku.com/sources-valve-buys-f ... 1825445890

That's a very big and potentially great move for both.

e: chriiiist gamers are still super shitty about these things. Valve isn't paying a whole lotta money to bring aboard the Firewatch guys just to throw them into the DOTA hat mines, you dorks.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:36 pm

Delthazar wrote:Oh yeah, some sorta Star Trek CCG is coming to Steam soon. I wonder if it'll be less of an overt gacha than Timelines.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/81504 ... versaries/

The art is nice at least.

#LongRoad
DHerder222 wrote:Ooh, always up for a (good) new CCG.
It's up now assuming they cleared up their storefront issues. I'm poking at it, not really sure what anything does.

But it's definitely pretty. Weird that a CCG of all things has some of the best/most accurate ship models I've seen.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Want to download it over the weekend and give it a whirl? Maybe we can try to set up a match.

EDIT: Oh, sounds like you've already downloaded it. Have you done any matches against the AI?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:54 pm

Even on the easiest settings I have yet to win a match 'cause I've got no idea what I'm doing. :pacdown

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:55 pm

Woo, I won my first match on super-easy mode! It wasn't too tough to figure out.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 pm

I might be getting it now. I think I just need to be smarter with my guardians? And probably rework my deck a bit. But I at least beat one of the easy AIs, so, woo or whatever

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm

If anything, I worry the game might be too simple. With only two types of cards (Ships and Crew), whoever has higher numbers might simply bulldoze the opponent. They'll have to be careful in how they do the characters' individual powers.

On the other hand, I really like how you get a burst of energy at the start of the game, but after that you only get more power gradually as the turns go by. That seemingly ensures a player can't win by getting a super-lucky hand early on. That kind of mechanic would be very hard to do in a live-action card game.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm

I could see them adding equipment or prop cards or whatever at some point, like maybe to "slot" into the ship and crew cards, which would then add some variability to the number scores.

I really like how every character card has a voiceline, unless they had no dialogue, in which case they get a snippet of background music from whatever scene they were in. So whenever I or the AI plays Vina there's a cut of that goofy TOS dance music and I can't help but giggle

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:42 pm

The first trailer for the new Tomb Raider game is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYtyeqVQnRI

Takeaways:
South American setting, I'm always down for jungles. Chances of lost valley +70%
Sick Machete, wouldn't be much of an explorer in the jungle without it. I wonder if there's some mechanics to clearing dense jungle.
Rope Arrow Tricks, string your enemies up. Seems less useful than just killing them, but could be fun.
Lara comes to terms with her murderous nature. Her bodycount is so high by now I'm hoping she accepts and embraces it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 pm

Hmm, I've had both previous Tombs Raider in my library for a while. Maybe it's about time I crack the seal on those.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I still haven't played RotTR, but Tomb Raider was good.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 am

I dunno if anyone still remembers the freebie open-source tactics game Battle for Wesnoth from waaaay back when but it just popped up on Steam and it's still free after all these years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5993 ... r_Wesnoth/

I think being a thing from 2003 which is still around and being updated puts it roughly in the same ballpark as other paleo-indies like Dwarf Fortress.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Delthazar wrote:SWERY showed off a super early build of his cat RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpvET0HnQo8
It got funded! So I'm pretty stoked about that. I wasn't sure it was gonna make it less than a week ago but it seems to have made up like half of its goal in the last couple days so hats off to SWERY for a successful kinda-last-minute drive.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu May 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Oh yeah, an Octopath features video I don't think got posted here earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J1eO7VPbSU

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:30 pm

I'm legit excited for this game.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu May 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Gorgeous game, why switch? :pac

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Thu May 03, 2018 6:23 pm

"Simultaneous release"? I thought it was Switch exclusive. Here's hoping for PS4 or Vita, or at the very least, Steam.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:30 pm

I think in this context, "simultaneous worldwide release" means it's releasing in Japan, North America and Europe on the same day.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu May 03, 2018 6:43 pm

Yeah, that's all that phrase means like 99% of the time. Nintendo is handling most of the publishing for this themselves so I wouldn't hold your breath for Octopath on anything but the Switch unless it's some stripped-down 3DS port or something.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Damn. I don't really want a Switch, but I am interested in this game.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri May 04, 2018 4:27 am

I want one in the future, but am waiting for more games I'm interested to come out on it first, and a price drop. This helps in the one category, at least.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 am

I've got a Switch. I don't have many games for it, though. I've got Breath of the Wild, Skyrim, and Fire Emblem Warriors.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Mon May 07, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm playing the demo of Alliance Alive. I love how the library tower has a book that contains the secret mission we are currently on. I sure hope the villains don't have a library card...

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Heh, didn't catch that (or maybe it's not in the main game). I couldn't get into that game so I'm already selling it back. Didn't like the battle system/thought it was too slow paced. Or maybe I was just bad at it... but either way, if I can't get into a battle system, it kills a game for me.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is getting a big new update this month adding TNG content, specifically the 1701-D bridge, Borg, Romulans, and new mechanics to reflect the technobabble of the era, like shield modulation frequencies and precision phaser targeting and whatever else. Also sounds like they're adding the ability to get into super tense running battles like in "Q Who."

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/9/173368 ... generation

People apparently really struggled to make sense of the TOS Enterprise bridge with all its unlabeled/poorly labeled Jolly Rancher buttons so I can't wait to see them have just as much trouble with the TNG LCARS touchscreens

At some point they added support for normal 2D monitors in addition to all those different VR headsets so maybe I'll actually get to check it out someday.