[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Game News] + Upcoming + General Games Chat

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Some Bethesda E3 reveals may or may not have leaked out via Walmart Canada. None of the big name Beth stuff, yer Scrolls Elder or yer Fallouts, but Rage 2 might be an actual thing judging by some of the Twitter response from Bethesda's people.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/9/173271 ... -2018-leak
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/9/173367 ... da-walmart

I don't really remember the chatter around Rage being all that strong in either direction but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some of those other leaks are harder to take seriously so this whole thing could just be dumb web interns being dumb.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu May 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon May 14, 2018 2:36 pm

The E3 YouTube channel messed up and accidentally posted a Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, so it looks like that's confirmed for E3. :pac

Been a long road, etc. I feel like 2077 has been in development at CD Projekt Red for longer than The Witcher has been popular. (Maybe now people in the cyberpunk tag on tumblr will have more than just two pieces of art and screencaps from one ancient teaser trailer to repost endlessly for another five years.) (lol yeah right)

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Yikes. This looks... good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rQMytyBFeA

It's coming from Avalanche, which explains the Just Cause/Mad Max-ness of it, plus it ain't too much of a stretch to get a little Far Cry feeling from the open world FPS stuff and/or maybe a little Borderlands from the setting, minus the art style.

I really like the sound of all those things blended together and it doesn't really seem terribly connected to the first Rage which I guess is fine 'cause it's all-but forgotten at this point.

In other pre-E3 news, STALKER 2 of all things just got announced with a 2021 release date, so that's pretty wild and welcome news for a super specific group of people.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm

If you didn't already think the Vita was dead before, it's officially dying now.

To be fair, I like mine, but the person who retweeted this article that I found on Twitter is correct- most of us who even have one haven't touched it since P4:Golden or P4:DAN. I was hoping to get the Vita versions of the P3 and P5 dancing games if they ever get a US release announcement at all, and there's still a chance, considering cart production won't end until early 2019 (or there could be a digital option) but I almost wonder if this is part of why we haven't heard about a US release for these games yet- maybe they're waiting on Japanese sales stats to see if they still want to release on both consoles or just PS4 only over here.

Sucks because there are a few Vita games on my to-play list, but the prices are fairly high so I've been putting them off. Now it makes sense- fewer copies available/niche market.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Since digital releases will continue for a while some of that stuff could still find its way out west (or just go PS4 only) but yeah, the end of physical game production (and therefore any real retail presence, if such a thing was even still there for the Vita at this point) is pretty much the big death knell after... years of smaller death knells, it feels like.

Vita got some love over the years as an indie games platform, and, uh, questionable anime visual novel wankery I guess, but with Steam offering all the same stuff easier and cheaper and the Switch emerging as the new hotness for portable digital indies there's kinda nothing left for the Vita unless you're one of the six people on Earth who uses it for PS3/PS4 remote play for whatever weird raisin.

It was a great piece of kit, far better than the PSP, but Sony never knew what they were doing with it.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 pm

In case you guys missed it, PS Plus is ending PS3 and Vita free games in less than a year. I think it's April of next year?

Edit: "Starting next year on March 8, 2019, the PS Plus monthly games lineup will focus on PS4 titles and no longer include PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita titles."

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Ugh, lame. I really wish these companies would figure out how to properly maintain their increasingly huge libraries of awesome games.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 30, 2018 8:07 am

Here comes a new challenger to the battle royale genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfCEdyNY5ME

This one has definitely piqued my interest given its post-apoc look and emphasis on vehicles, particularly the ability to customize cars on the fly kinda as one would build stuff in Fortnite I suppose.

yo Layfield let's see if we can both get into the beta and take Maple & Whiskey into the badlands (assuming your desktop rig is together while the beta period is still going)

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 am

Ha! I've already received a Fractured Lands closed beta invite. Get in while the getting is hot I guess.

I'll have to see what their preferences are re: streamers, but if they're okay with people streaming the closed beta right away then I totally might do that pretty soon.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:56 am

One more battle royale thing (maybe I should just shove all posts related to this genre into the PUBG thread):

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... -and-free/

It's I guess intentionally designed as a battle royale parody so that could be pretty funny or a real fuckin' groaner depending on the developer's comedy chops. It's also free if you add it to your Steam library within 100 hours, which is... odd, but whatever, I'm no professional gamesman, what do I know?

Yeah, I'll stream it.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVAQrE5A5sI

I AM READY TO FEEL BAD AGAIN

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:36 pm

I guess that's my occasional reminder that I have most (all?) of the previous Walking Dead games in my Steam library, still untouched.

Also, yup, we're in the second wave of battle royale, alright.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... new-ideas/

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Me, too. I've played through season 1, but not the DLC on.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:39 am

Listening to FFSTV talk about phones not doing good gaming, despite their power, and the unrealistic thought of controller peripherals for phones. It got me thinking, it wouldn't be difficult for a phone to incorporate a back plate that slides/flips/rotates down to expose touch sensitive buttons.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:26 pm

Man, Aloy is a fucking mountain goat. And, if you can see the pictures I took, ready for her first leap of faith, and queen of all she surveys.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Delthazar wrote:I guess that's my occasional reminder that I have most (all?) of the previous Walking Dead games in my Steam library, still untouched.
They're like 8 hours long each, get on them you fool. Just don't marathon a season unless you decide you want to feel terrible the whole day.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:11 pm

It's possible that playing Life is Strange without ever touching Telltale's not-poker games has already made me an old soul, hardened and calloused and staring into the middle distance, never to be hurt again

or nah, could just as easily reduce me to a quivering vaguely human-shaped mass on the floor - we'll find out someday

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:02 am

Bloody hell, Yakuza 0 on PSN is still full price. I'm sure it's cheaper at retail vs. digital but with the Steam version launching at like $18 USD they won't seriously keep the original pricetag on the PS4 forever, right?

Anyway. It really says something about this game that I've already watched Giant Bomb play it start to finish and I'm currently watching Layfield here stream it start to finish again and yet I'm totes gonna pick up Yakuza 0 anyway and probably play it start to finish myself. Partially as an act of patronage for the ports I suppose. Sega is, uh, kinda great at PC stuff, as it turns out.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Something new is coming from the Harvest Moon team, but I don't think it really has an E3 presence, so...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/12/17454 ... ndo-switch

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Delthazar wrote:Bloody hell, Yakuza 0 on PSN is still full price.
Right now it's on sale for $24 on the PSN.

You know what must be done.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Heh, I already caved and bought the Steam version even though it doesn't unlock until August. May as well support Sega's hella good PC port bidniss. Maybe we'll even get Persona games on Steam someday! (Probably not.)

Rest of y'all should totes jump on that PSN discount though.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 am

Guess I know what I'll be doing that night.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:40 pm

I have all of next week off, so well into this!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 pm

I've been thinking about going in cold on stream, so lemme know if you wanna give it a run yourself first. I'm under the impression that it's only a couple hours long, like Farewell, but with more to find and some degree of replayability to uncover some very well hidden details. I dunno if I'd try to do all that on stream though.