CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: CF-WRUP IV: play stuff, talk about it.

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Oh jeez the Diner Dash minigame from Vesperia is still here. I wonder if it's just as ridiculous.

I appreciate the minigames I've seen so far all apparently rewarding the same pool of items with the same bonus currency, so if I end up hating some of 'em I can just stick to whatever doesn't drive me nuts. 'course now that I've said that I fully expect to the next diversion I come across to break the pattern.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:50 am

Oh yeah, the Tales Coins. You can even find those lying around in those little shiny spots, though generally not more than 10 at a time, so that's not the best way to get them. I'm not a mini-game person myself, so I can't even remember which one I hate the least right now. But, generally, do each one once for a first-time prize.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Fair warning, because it's bugging the shit out of me: There are some noticeable typos in the skits sometimes, and worse yet, sometimes the words being spoken are clearly different than the text on the screen. Not "oh, they must have edited it later" type of differences, but words that sound similar but mean completely different things (often, the written text doesn't even make sense). It's like they recorded the voices and had someone not fluent in English try to transcribe it later. It bothered me earlier in the game, but towards the end when you finish up side quests, the mistakes become much more numerous and noticeable. I wonder if they were rushed and no one had time to edit.

Another thing that happened occasionally early on that I'm noticing more of now is that sometimes the voices will get cut off in a cut scene abruptly without me pressing any sort of button to skip. Again, happening more towards the end. Quality control, guys!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm

I feel like occasional dissonance between subtitles and the attached voice work has become more common over the last several years, even in huge budget AAA games. Best guess: a slightly different version of the script than what the VA records on sometimes ends up getting transcribed as subtitles, or last-second rewrites or even adlibs by the actors sometimes sneak into recording which aren't always noted for transcription purposes.

The skits are so much better in Berseria than what I remember them looking like in Vesperia. It's one of those weird Tales things which I'm glad has evolved a lot, even if they maybe still have a ways to go.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Discrepancy between audio and subtitles bothers a lot. I normally play and watch things without subtitles though, so it's the rare occasion where it gets me.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:11 am

Delthazar wrote:Best guess: a slightly different version of the script than what the VA records on sometimes ends up getting transcribed as subtitles, or last-second rewrites or even adlibs by the actors sometimes sneak into recording which aren't always noted for transcription purposes.
Nah, that's not it. You'll know once you get there. It's completely off-script and they use words that *sound* like the spoken words, but don't match at all and make no sense in the context/written sentence. Mostly happens to Magilou, so whoever did it just can't understand her voice or something.

Some examples here and here.

Actually, I like the one person's theory that they ran the voices through a voice-to-text program. The "gruesome/goose I'll" one really through me for a loop last night.

And Falc, I don't think skit subs can be turned off in this game, but I haven't tried either since I usually like them.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:34 pm

In the final dungeon but day drinking happened all day cuz MERICA so I'm super lost and just stopped at a random save point. Can I just mention that I hate warps?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 pm

While I don't mind Magilou at all, Bienfu can geeeeeet fuuuuuuuuuucked.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Damn! Got one of the bad endings in BtS.

And, adding on the Bonus episode on PS4 is ridiculously obtuse! I had no idea that button was even a thing, let alone would I have guessed you needed to check a list of add-ons to get the episode. What is this; Steam?

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Delthazar wrote:While I don't mind Magilou at all, Bienfu can geeeeeet fuuuuuuuuuucked.
Ugh, yeah. Doesn't get any better, sorry to say.

cybersix
ALIENS

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by cybersix » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Been playing Divinity: Original Sin II. Old school computer RPG with local multiplayer, some occasionally amusing dialogue, and a somewhat non-linear story. Pretty damn good.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 pm

I've been thinking about giving that a shot someday. Ditto with Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, etc. That kinda-sorta revival of old-style hardcore-ish isometric CRPGs. Don't think I've played anything like that since Fallout 2 unless you count Shadowrun Returns and its sequels.

Seems like the upcoming adaption of Pathfinder Kingmaker will count as that.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:38 pm

I ran into the same problem with Divinity OS2 that I did the first one, I just run out of steam playing it. I still get like 20 hours out of it so totally worth the money and I love the combat system but I don't know why I just tire of it so easily.

Pillars and Tyranny I had the same thing but a lot faster, I just bounced off them after like 10 hours. I don't know why Shadowrun holds my interest so much more, but I keep talking myself into replaying Shadowrun games and can't stick out these others.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm

I really need to finish Pillars I and start Pillars II. I'm basically at the last quest for Pillars I, and II looks really swank.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:43 pm

I've started playing Ocarina of Time again on the 3DS. I'm at Kakariko Village and am heading up to Death Mountain. I somehow remembered to get the Hylian Shield when I was at the Bazaar the first time, so that'll save some time. Also, didn't remember the "retrieve the Cuccos" sidequest in Kakariko. Makes the one in BotW more of a callback than I realized.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 pm

5 months ago I said Octopath Traveler might get me to buy a Switch. It did, I'm about 10 hours in and it has not disappointed. Easily the strongest JRPG I've played in at least the last 2-3 years (at least since FFXV in 2016, and I'll probably end up considering this a superior game).

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 am

DHerder222 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:49 pm
5 months ago I said Octopath Traveler might get me to buy a Switch. It did, I'm about 10 hours in and it has not disappointed. Easily the strongest JRPG I've played in at least the last 2-3 years (at least since FFXV in 2016, and I'll probably end up considering this a superior game).
Nice! I'm definitely interested, and I've watched a review of it on Youtube from guys who typically don't even play RPGs, and they mostly liked it. Problem is, I can't justify it right now when I have a current 3DS game I need to finish, and a backlog of PS3/4 games (plus ToV on pre-order, with the Persona dancing games coming out a week prior, and then PQ2 in early 2019 probably).

I think I'll do what I did for the PS4 and wait for a major sale/price drop.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:13 pm

I think I'll do what I did for the PS4 and wait for a major sale/price drop.
That's not a bad idea, and it seems there's a bit of a movement to make the Switch an attractive home for JRPGs.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:46 pm

It's my favorite time: NEW TELLTALE WALKING DEAD GAME TIME

Like all previous games in the series, during the credit roll the game tells you how much of the player base made the same decisions you did. Unlike previous games in the series, it also lets you know how badly you fucked up the emotions of everyone around you. THANKS TELLTALE

This time they've announced when all of the episodes are coming out, and there's expected to be a 6-week gap in between each. Hurrah! Hopefully this doesn't result in the entire game being a rushed piece of shit!

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I've been watching notabohr play Super Mario Odyssey and it's honestly one of the most surreal, bizarre games I've ever seen. I'm aware the "world" of Super Mario has always been whimsical and not at all realistic, but they kick it up about a dozen notches in this game.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:46 pm

cybersix wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:46 pm
This time they've announced when all of the episodes are coming out, and there's expected to be a 6-week gap in between each. Hurrah! Hopefully this doesn't result in the entire game being a rushed piece of shit!
This has gotta be the end of the road for that engine they've been using forever, yeah? I feel like I've been hearing and reading about how busted it is for years.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:01 pm

I think this is pretty much the last game they're doing with that engine. This one actually plays decently (ie, it doesn't stutter at high settings even on a system that outpaces its recommended specs, and you don't control quite as much like a boat.)

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:32 am

So, I was feeling a bit nostalgic after stumbling across a few YouTube videos, so I dusted off my old Gamecube and fired up PSO. Boy is that game bad, doubly so since I tried playing as a force. Surprised my character wasn't constantly in the toilet with all the monofluids I had to drink just to keep playing. Ended up dusting off my PSP so I could play some PSP2 as a palette cleanser.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:11 am

I finally got back the to enhanced PS4 port of FF9. I'm on the "3rd disk," so to speak, since I've had this week off and a lot of time to devote to it. I guess I never realized how plot driven the party was at all times, because I just now got full control over my whole party. Steiner was crazy under-leveled due to all his time away... only level 11 (on disc 3!) before that event with Beatrix where they fight monsters in Alexandria, which I now see is clearly for the purpose of leveling him up so that he matches the rest of your party before he returns. But even the rest of my party is barely level 20. If I remember correctly, that optional Ozma boss basically requires level 99 to beat him? I have a lot of grinding to do from here on out...

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:46 pm

I've put in 42 hours of Octopath Traveler after my first week of owning it. It's probably been 10 years since I've done that. It's easier when you don't have a job. :awesome