[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by Delthazar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Yeah, including or perhaps tied with Vesperia, Lost Odyssey was easily the best of all those JRPGs from Microsoft's short-lived "let's try to get a foothold in Japan" phase with the 360. (lol "Infinite Undiscovery")

It's available digitally on the Xbox One these days, apparently, which I wish meant it had Windows 10 crossplay functionality, but nah, it ain't no Forza or whatever, so of course not. :(

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Wasn't it made by some former Final Fantasy guy who formed his own studio? Are they even still making games these days?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Yep, it was a Mistwalker joint, headlined by Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobou Uematsu on the soundtrack, which turned out to be one of his best in ages up to that point. Some former Final Fantasy artist was also onboard, but just for costume design? Everyone in Lost Odyssey is dressed like a total fuckin' goon so I guess that's why.

They also had a pretty legit Japanese author on the team to write all those Thousand Years of Dreams stories, which I thought were extremely good. That concept has never returned and it's a real shame.

I have no idea what Mistwalker has been up to since then, if anything. Chances are the studio might be long gone or fallen into a gacha hole. They put out something else before Lost Odyssey with much more of a Dragon Quest vibe but I don't remember what it was called.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Blue Dragon? That one got rereleased several times, and had an anime. Too bad LO never had that kinda attention.

EDIT: Just looked up Mistwalker. You were right about the Gacha hole, sadly.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:52 am

Speaking of Vesperia, I got an email from Amazon (since I pre-ordered it) saying it's delayed by the publisher until January 11th. That's a Friday, so I don't think that'll even be the final US release date, but I'm not mad about it. Now it's a paycheck or 2 after Christmas, and it's not a week apart from the Persona dance games now, assuming those don't also get delayed.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Did anyone here actually play The Last Remnant? I must have been drunk that year because I had never heard of it before today. I'm intrigued - is it worth playing?

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 pm

I was not a fan.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:40 pm

I only saw a buddy play it once or twice. It looked super weird mechanically, like somewhere between a normal JRPG and a tactics game.

I think I heard the PC version that used to be on Steam made a lot of changes, and also had a lot of mods. Seems like the new PS4 version will include a lot of that.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm

There's an Alan Wake TV series in development.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/9/12/17 ... way-legion

...I usually take "in development" to mean "we've optioned the rights and may or may not actually put a series in production someday if we feel like it" but this one already looks farther along than most.

Alan Wake was a pretty direct take on Twin Peaks and a few other shows, so makes sense that it would become a TV show itself eventually. Like Twin Peaks, it even had a fake TV show inside the game... a fake show in a game inspired by TV shows which will soon become an actual TV show... try not to think too hard about these recursive loops or you might get stuck there for days.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:46 pm

Lethal League Blaze plays nothing like Jet Set Radio, but in almost every other way it looks and sounds about as close to Jet Set Radio as you get without getting your eyes wet.

https://youtu.be/3Sc-6GOrGNw

Yes, that's Hideki Naganuma on the OST.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:33 pm

oh

https://twitter.com/TalesofU/status/1039151561358888961

well

that's a pretty good way to get me to buy something physical for once, yeah.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Does that dog have a pipe?

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Sadly, puppers don't understand lung cancer...

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:32 pm

So it is actually coming out on a Friday... I'm so used to Tuesday releases that I thought the delay was inaccurate (in that the delay was definitely happening, but not actually coming out on that exact date).

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Here's that whole gat-danged Direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRuHg1dv8MI

Luigi's Mansion! 3DS Epic Yarn! A whole lotta old Capcom brawlers? A version of New Super Mario Bros. U with some kinda purple rabbit lookin' Big The Cat wannabe! KATAMARI FUCKING DAMACY HOLY SHIT.

...some of the details regarding Online are a tad rough, mostly the paywalled cloud save stuff. Pricing is better than PS+/Gold, at least. Plus those NES controllers are pretty great... even if they look super weird when docked.

Those Pokemon-styled Switch consoles look pretty swank. I don't really need more Diablo 3 in my life but this port is looking solid. I'm glad Super Mario Party exists if only for the inevitable Giant Bomb #content. TOWN (WORKING TITLE.) Heh. Cities Skylines on Switch feels like an odd fit, UI/UX-wise at least, and also makes me want Nintendo-themed additions a la the SNES version of Sim City. Daemon X Machina still looks/sounds great. Yoshi's new game looks like a better Little Big Planet.

This tabletop app could be really cool if the expansion pricing for new games isn't too crazy. 4-player local multiplayer for a game like Civ 6 sounds like a total mess. I wonder if Star Fox might actually be in danger of being upstaged by the other space shooters on the way for Switch. Warframe is a good get. I still haven't played FFXV, so I wonder how weird it would be to go in with Pocket Edition instead of the OG. Final Fantasy VII, IX, X/X-2, and XII (RIP VIII I guess!)

I'm not a Smash guy, though I appreciate its existence as the big-ass Nintendo & Friends compilation project it's become over the years and especially this time around. That said the Isabelle reveal is hilarious. I always love a good goofy Smash character bit going all the way back to Snake.

but who cares about that noise 'cause FUCK YEAH NEW ANIMAL CROSSING IN 2019

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:45 pm

The new GameFreak title looks kinda cool. Though I do hope they come with a better name than "Town". I mean, come on.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Was Tokyo Mirage Sessions announced?

"No, but they--"

Thanks, going back to bed.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 pm

John Layfield wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:55 pm
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
paging Dave Lang

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:56 pm

oh shit Katamari Damacy REROLL will also have a PC version.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm

outta nowhere, it looks like Resonance of Fate might be getting a PC/PS4 version.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... an-rating/

I know exactly one (1) person who played this and I don't remember what their impressions were at all.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Return Of The Obra Dinn, a new game from the Papers, Please dev, certainly has a look.

https://youtu.be/ILolesm8kFY

Also, SWERY's The Missing is dated for October 11th. It's not listed on Steam yet, maybe because some TV show with the same name is up there, for some raisin. I always forget Steam carries film stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7fqQK0bl_U

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:45 pm

I liked the "Autumn 1818" release date. :awesome

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:43 pm

Delthazar wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm
outta nowhere, it looks like Resonance of Fate might be getting a PC/PS4 version.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... an-rating/

I know exactly one (1) person who played this and I don't remember what their impressions were at all.
confirmed now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlX2vHV_3yE

this thing still looks weird as hell, and as a modern-ish Tri-Ace game, it's probably also bad.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Oh, okay then.

https://youtu.be/nl2h8LDq_oI

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09 ... ded-games/

Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms are the first five announced preloaded titles with at least another 15 yet to be revealed. $99 USD, December 3rd.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 am

Playstation has not aged well...