[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm

People are flipping out that a Piranha Plant is playable in the new Smash, rather than an endlessly-wanted fav like Banjo or Geno.

I'm fine with that, my only beef is that the entire character should have been out-of-the-pot Petey, not just for the final smash. Petey's awesome in the sports games.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Can't believe Boogerman still isn't announced.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:28 pm

Delta Rune is cute, if there's any Undertale fans here.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:13 am

Sometimes you get nostalgic for the strangest things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8BcndMxu44

NICE MUSCLE!

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Good thing I'm not a fan of the Diablo series. Sounds like that's the source of the latest gamer-adjacent internet meltdown.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm

It's so dumb. Diablo is a perfectly healthy franchise that Blizzard is never going to abandon, so if one of those games isn't exactly what one fan or group of fans wants, they can just kinda... wait for the next one. Which is either already announced or all-but announced. Not everything needs to be for them if there's always something else coming down the pipe. Not every fandom is as lucky.

Some mobile offshoot isn't going to end or permanently change the course of the Diablo series. Did Pokemon fans do this when Go was announced? I'm guessing not. But these are probably a lot of the same people who saw one beta screenshot of Diablo 3 way back when and spent the next several months being mad on the internet about too many colours, so. Shocked, shocked that there's gambling going on in here.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:37 pm

I retweeted a really great take on this by Austin Walker earlier today...

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/statu ... 8902875136

...then eventually got people sliding into my mentions (and therefore Austin's, sorry duder) with unsolicited rebuttals, so that was fun

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:41 pm

Obviously most of this is immature whining and people need to get their shit together and move on.

But I wonder if there's a subconscious fear of mainstream titles going more and more down the mobile road. The raisin people didn't care about Pokemon Go was that it was never going to interfere with whatever "canon" exists in Pokemon. But if Diablo Immortal starts being important to the series' universe, I can see people who really care about that being concerned. Mobile games are endlessly updated and previous content is rarely curated in a meaningful way (at least not in the games I've played). It just...goes away.

Anyway. That's my theory for the backlash. And of course, the obligatory - that doesn't excuse the shitty behavior we're seeing and have gotten used to seeing.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:49 pm

I was under the impression that a lot of people cared about Pokemon Go and continue to do so, just the immediate fervour has long died down. Paging J.L. Pipes and the other Go folks to the Game News thread!

...I kinda vaguely remember some people being mad about Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, maybe under the impression those games will somehow Go-ify the whole franchise, but c'mon, that's never gonna be the case, and they're not even mobile games in the phone sense. Anyway, that's a tangent.

Diablo 4 being that thing I'm pretty sure was already announced or at least strongly rumoured, that's where any series development that actually matters will almost certainly end up. Immortal will probably be more like Bethesda's mobile Elder Scrolls thing in that case: a gaiden, but an expensive one.

'course, no one actually knows except Blizzard, not that a lack of information has ever stopped gamers from working themselves into a shoot for no raisin. Same as it ever was.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:56 pm

I was under the impression that a lot of people cared about Pokemon Go and continue to do so, just the immediate fervour has long died down. Paging J.L. Pipes and the other Go folks to the Game News thread!
Clarification! I didn't mean to say that people didn't care about the game. I meant to say that people weren't upset at its announcement over something like a new mainline entry, because everyone knew it was going to be its own thing.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Mm, and that's kinda the thrust of this Diablo thing: it's maybe as big for Blizzard as Pokemon is for Nintendo, so anyone who thinks there won't be another big "normal" Diablo sooner or later is dreamin' or fear-mongerin'. It was never gonna 100% pivot to mobile and Blizzard made no indication of such, so there's no raisin to assume it'd be all that necessary to the overall Diablo experience, either. I'm not sure this has ever been a series people play for the lore.

A stronger mobile focus does strike me as something that could hypothetically become the fate of Blizzard's (relatively) minor properties like Hearthstone or HOTS, which either already have their foot in that door, or were designed to be more mobile-friendly to begin with, but Diablo is a major pillar, one of The Big Three Blizzard Things, and it's never underperformed either. Not even when some folks were finding stuff to be mad about in Diablo 3.

Hell - ugh, pun not intended - there's even a D3 Switch port now and a special hardware bundle for it. I figured that alone would dissuade folks from the notion that not much else is happening, or whatever other unknowns, to say nothing of the slam-dunk certainty of Diablo 4, but here we are.

e: expanded on some of these thoughts a bit 'cause I guess I'm rolling - and it's not even Babylon 5 time yet! :pac

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm

In other Blizzard-ish news, Destiny 2 is free until the 18th, which I guess is only vaguely relevant because for some raisin it's in the Battle.net launcher exclusively. Or rather, it's in the ghetto Blizzard set aside on Battle.net for Activision games.

I claimed it, but who knows when/if I'll ever install it. I'm guessing it's probably a fairly giant download.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:58 am

People got hot about Pokémon Let's Go being announced for Switch, though, seeing it as "Go creep", combined with Pokémon Boss Man saying stuff along the lines of "mainline Pokémon games are too hard for children so I dunno man" probably didn't help, considering most fans get into them as children, imaginary difficulty be damned.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:13 pm

A little Word From Thor on the subject

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/1 ... -projects/

I was unaware that Blizzard had pointed out before BlizzCon that their Diablo news at the show might not be what some people were hoping for. :pacdown No points gained for ignoring the warning and getting mad anyway.

Different teams are working on different Diablo things. That should quiet everyone down, right? Show's over?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:39 pm

I don't particularly want Diablo on mobile, but if that's what they want to make then let them. I guess if Bethesda had announced Fallout Shelter without announcing Fallout 4 in the same breath, people might have raged at them too.

Entitled consumers suck.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Heh, jeez, it sounds like a Diablo 4 announcement was planned and then axed.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/1 ... u-rumours/

...pulling a Bethesda by going through the mobile announcement and then closing with "by the way Diablo 4," even just flashing a title card on the way out, probably would've been a good idea. :pacdown

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm

Yeah, it's a mystery why they didn't think that was worth doing.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:35 pm

If the guy who played Jenks in Contradiction did THIS

https://store.steampowered.com/app/8986 ... Detective/

would that mean anything to you?

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:09 pm

With already some cast crossover between Contradiction and Dr Dekker, there's a decent chance that Jenks will be in The Shapeshifting Detective. It looks like Baggy Cat Ltd (devs of Contradiction) also have another FMV game coming out this year, named 3am.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:05 am

Welp, Jenks is in the Shapeshifting Detective, along with the mermaid girl from Dr Dekker! Reckon GB East will do a run at it?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm

I hope so. Get Austin in there for that!

In sadder news, most of the remaining Final Fantasy XV DLC has been cancelled and its director has left Square to form his own studio.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/8/18075 ... ta-resigns

Square's also posted significant losses, but whether or not all that's the fault of FFXV underperforming, who knows - these are the same people who sunk actual human currency units into The Quiet Man, so

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Lack of Star Ocean in 2017 or 2018 really fucked them over.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:59 pm

It's not a *huge* loss, exactly, as I believe they were originally intending to end after the first crop of DLC and only decided on more afterward. I'm probably one of the people that contributed to Square's decision. I thought was XV was fine, played Gladio's DLC eagerly, kinda enjoyed Prompto's and barely slogged through Ignis'. I don't think I would bother with any others. They should have done Noctis next and finished there.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 pm

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:36 am

I don't get the joke; why is Yoshi committing tax fraud?