CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by Delthazar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:18 pm

John Layfield wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:00 pm
I really appreciate that technically every identity can be logic'd out independently, without brute force or even process of elimination. (Though I did both, to be honest)

I've also been lurking in Obra Dinn streams just because I find it really interesting to see what details people spot to make connections and deductions when compared to me or others and what they miss that I and others might have found obvious.
Obra Dinn's approach strikes a pretty unique balance.
Spoiler :
While a ton of games from the point-and-click days straight up to modern narrative adventures and open world RPGs will mainly focus on conveying their intent via environmental details, Obra Dinn instead dials all that back a lot, but never completely. A player can suss-out identities just as much on how characters talk, their accents, who they hang around with, who they appear deferential towards, as the little bits and pieces in their surroundings.

That said, I was able to determine the identities of the Russian crewmembers partially by first assuming they were speaking Russian in that scene, spotting the pipe in the bag hanging from one of their hammocks, checking the number on that hammock, and then spotting the pipe in the mouth of one of those guys later on, then using the number to finally reach the name. Keeping in mind that the crew appears pretty self-segregated, it became a similar deal with the Indian seamen: two died of illness and were fairly easy to identify, and playing the hammock number game eventually got the other two, simply by noting who is where when.

One guy slept with his arm hanging out of his hammock, with a distinguishing tattoo. Took down the hammock number and kept an eye out for the same tattoo later, boom, got 'im. I'm not sure how many more folks can be narrowed down like this - no amount of hammock numbers feels like it'll help me sort out all the Chinese topmen - but it's a ton of fun doing the legwork anyway.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Spoiler for Captain Spirit :
One streamer I watched broke down, and had to stop for several minutes because of family life correlations. She also, more recently, fessed up to her own drinking problems (currently on the mend).

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:03 pm

Yeah hearing Patrick Klepek talk about his experience with Captain Spirit and how it plays into his fears as a father is interesting and I can see how it might be intense for someone closer to the actual experience.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:19 pm

Also I finished up Obra Dinn, which was exceptional. Everyone give that a shot someday, especially if you were into Papers Please, or Tacoma, as Obra Dinn is kind of an expanded combined take on both those ideas.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Continuing to work through my 2018 list, and

oh no

what am I doing

*sigh* fine, here I am.

MapleStory 2 is cute as fuck.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 pm

I've unlocked everyone in Smash Brothers. 74 listed characters, actually more like 85 if you consider alternate costumes.

To be honest, I don't think it's quite deserving of the sky-high reviews it got - there's very little in it that previous games hadn't already done. But I won't deny it's a supremely polished and balanced experience. Even the online mode has been one of the best online console experiences I've had.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Continuing the 2018 cleanup

Subnautica is a very cool thing... that kinda just makes me wanna jump back into No Man's Sky again. Hrm. But if y'all like the sound of No Man's Sea more than No Man's Sky, maybe check it out someday?

Marie's Room and All Our Asias finish up the shorts. Both are good, but All Our Asias was the more surprising of the two. Not an easy thing to describe, either.

I think I only have a couple left before I can put a nail in this thing.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm

I could be finishing the last couple list items, instead I'm doing this.

Lately I feel drawn towards making Alis in everything with a character creator. This is about as close as I can get to her costume with the default clothing options though.

Also goddamnit how do games like this still get made without the ability to use spaces in character names, ugh, c'mon, what year is it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:51 am

oh christ MapleStory 2 has a fully functional music thing you can do

https://youtu.be/zf1R-5QNBTY

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:44 am

Life Is Strange 2: is not hooking me as hard as LiS right now, but gave me some bad feelings. It's alright.

Drawing anything is goddamn painful. Who put that in there.
Spoiler for lis1,2, bts :
Why does everyone in these games have daddy issues?
Spoiler for lis2 :
I wasn't going to steal from that gas station because I have dignity. Until that dude called me a spic. Then I kicked him in the face and took his gear right quick. FUCK YOU OLD MAN.

Flarecake
Never Stops Winning Too Much, Again / CF-NHL Technical Champion 2016

Post by Flarecake » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:53 pm

Got both Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee and the new Smash for Christmas, so I've been playing those a lot. They're both pretty amazing and I would highly recommend. Also, add me as a Switch friend so we can play Smash together!

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 pm

LiS spoilers:
Spoiler :
I mean Sean and Daniel have a great Dad, rather than daddy issues. Unless Dad being dead is an issue (yeah that's a pretty big issue). Having said that the only parents we've seen that weren't solo parents were Max's absentee parents and Rachel's fun fam in BtS.

Yeah I'm with you on the stealing thing. I didn't steal anything but after that dude was a massive tool I totes stole the tent.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm

I'm having trouble remembering the decisions I made. It wasn't even that long ago. :pacdown I guess I could go back and watch my own VOD, like a weirdo.
Spoiler :
Pretty sure I didn't steal anything, at first 'cause it didn't seem possible or perhaps warranted, and later 'cause I figured the police were probably on the way and I doubt I had the time to haul giant camping gear and run simultaneously.

...in retrospect, no way cops would have an acceptable response time all the way out to a random highway rest stop, though. 🤔
I should jump back in just to check the updated friendlist stats and judge c6's decision making skills.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:21 pm

further dispatches from MapleStory 2 'cause, uh, I think I actually really like this game, goddamnit

The dialogue is one thing, but the voice acting that goes with it is something else. I truly appreciate how this game refuses to take itself seriously, it's pretty great.

Alis gonna tag your shit

Character expressions often change depending on what you're doing. Alis loves riding minecarts. :3

User-generated content is everywhere in MapleStory 2, including on signs, with apparently very few content limitations, so of course people are advertising gold-seller sites.

Your first mount is a duck. Dude. I'm on a duck.

oh no what am I doing

oh no what have I done

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 am

Just looked it up and... oh shit, it's free?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:49 pm

YUP. Free on Steam with the usual MMO optional/unnecessary starter pack DLC and cosmetic microtransaction stuff.

There doesn't seem to be any lack of content for a freebie either. For instance...

I spent a good chunk of time last night fishin'.

...and figuring out the music system...

(apparently if you know yer way around MIDI software and sheet music you can do some pretty wild shit with the musical instruments, which is how that All Star video happened above, no doubt - or you can just jam on the keys.)

...and racing around a track...

...a quest reward gave me blank gear templates, which goin' by the tooltip info, I could turn into custom outfits using whatever random-ass images I happen to have in my folder, which is... :stare ...a startling amount of control over cosmetics.

...they gave me a damn house to decorate... :stare3

And as for more traditional combat-y MMO gameplay, the main quest line has taken me to two raid-ish dungeon things so far, both of which I easily solo'd in a private instance, so that's a huge plus. So far they haven't made me party-up for any raisin or locked anything behind a group gate. I've taken on a couple world bosses as well, again with no party prompts, they just kinda show up at five minutes past the hour or whatever and folks can take 'em on if they want, however they want.

Goofy mount of the day: balloons! You can float really high above the map, none of my screenshots really did it justice. There's trophies for doing that... and also for falling huge distances. :pac

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Ha, I'll have to check it out! Hopefully it doesn't run like shit on my laptop. I assume there's some sort of friend system? If the thing runs well, I'll add ya.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Darkest Dungeon is good and also hard.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:12 pm
Ha, I'll have to check it out! Hopefully it doesn't run like shit on my laptop. I assume there's some sort of friend system? If the thing runs well, I'll add ya.
Yeah, dunno if it's a per-server thing though. Also dunno if the friends system works per account or per character but maybe you could simply add AlisLandale or my previous test alt and it might work fine that way.

I'm on US West if it matters.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 pm

Downloading it now. It's funny that the game is free but the starter pack DLC is $20.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Heh, yeah. There's probably nothing in there you can't just find somewhere else in-game, too. Or at least nothing that'll matter in the long run or that'll remain useful after the first few hours.

Leveling in MS2 is such a non-issue you can apparently hit 50 just following the main quest, so I dunno what a starter pack offers other than a little more speed or a little more flair. Hunter will have to refresh my memory on what the STO starter packs had in 'em. Probably not much.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:31 pm

Played around with it a bit and it's cute. The controls will take some getting used to, though. I did notice a friend system but didn't remember your character's name off-hand while my shit was up full screen. I'm WineLover (because my name and WineTime were taken... but somehow that wasn't).

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Hell yeah Algol OGs rollin' deep.

I'll add you when I jump on a little later. May as well send you a guild invite as well, even if my idea of guild stuff is just having a cool second tag floating over my character's head.

Controls definitely take a little getting used to, yeah. I'm still flubbing stuff regularly. It at least gives you the option of keyboard only/keyboard+mouse/gamepad, and you can turn gamepad on and still use the keyboard+mouse for tighter inputs or menus or whatever. I still haven't settled on a final layout yet. 🤔

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Since it said that keyboard/mouse was in beta and keyboard was recommended, I went with the latter. But, it still uses the mouse anyway... I don't know. Also, the font for chat and quests on the side is super tiny. The only MMO I've ever played before this was WoW so not only has it been ages, but I'm used to being able to *read* the text. Again, just requires practice, but I'm done for today.