CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:37 pm

I got the demo for Octopath Traveler and it seems cool but I didn't play long because I'm kind of already in the bag (we checked out a new brewery once Mike got off work, and kept going). Started with Therion's route; I like him.

Also Tetris 99 is a trip. Usually I can get within the top 50, and once I made it to 7th place, but a few times I was one of the first 9 people gone because like 5 people attacked me at once. Ain't no comin' back from that, even if you're on the bottom rows still. It seems luck based mostly, depending on how many people attack you.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:46 pm

7th is extremely good considering how fast it gets. I think my best place so far was like, 24th, and I probably average in the 50s if I'm lucky. It's definitely streaky, sometimes I'll get knocked out inside a minute several times in a row, sometimes I'll have a bunch of matches that go pretty deep. That's battle royale, for sure.

I wonder if the sorta folks who can place in the top ten or top five consistently, or ever outright win, are also the sorta folks who've been playing Tetris for 30+ years.

(For a totally different kind of trip, consider Tetris Effect on PS4 next time it goes on sale.)

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Started with Therion's route; I like him.
Therion's cool, but Alfyn was my jam. :pac

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:07 pm

I know I can Google it, but for the sake of conversation, what's different about Tetris Effect? (And yeah, 7th place was a fluke, for sure. First and only time getting out of the 50ish range so far).

I almost picked Alfyn! I guess we have similar tastes.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:21 pm

Always a good sign. :awesomelon

If you end up going through the game I'll be curious for yer thoughts on the characters and story. Of the 8 playables I thought 5 were excellent, 2 were fine and only 1 was kind of a dud.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm

Bier_Engel wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:07 pm
I know I can Google it, but for the sake of conversation, what's different about Tetris Effect?
Imagine Tetris with rhythm game elements (via the guy who made Rez and Lumines) and procedural music visualization. The trailers probably sell it better than I can with words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8fVT_Ds4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVL6t8IHE8

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Hmm, there's almost too much going on there at once...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:46 pm

I think that's mainly the trailers showing off what's possible, while the actual game tends to be way more chill in most modes. The procedural element would probably also mean that it'd only be as chaotic as your pace of play.

This is probably how it would look normally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urbLIyd-VsQ

e: playing it in VR would probably totally be a sensory overload though unless you really sandbag it

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Oh, and my Switch code: SW-3516-6158-3313

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Delthazar wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:26 pm
Thinking about buying the Switch version of Into The Breach while it's 50% off [...] and I think I heard good things about World Next Door
ended up doing this, yes. what's another couple games on the pile. Phantasy Star can wait a bit since Layfield's LP wasn't that long ago really

I put a bit of time into World Next Door last night. I'm pretty terrible at its particular mix of match puzzles and action RPG combat stuff, but I really like the art design and character stuff so far. It looks smooth without being Flash game-y, it looks a little retro without being yet another pixel-y thing. The VN character stuff reminds me of some really good itch.io games. Maybe I'll get better at the combat, maybe it'll never click, but the rest is solid.

I'm only just starting Into The Breach but it looks like a million bucks in the Switch's handheld mode in a way that I'm not sure I'd even notice running on Steam on these old-ish monitors.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:32 pm

I get why a lotta folks I follow were so enamoured with Into The Breach last year. The way this game encapsulates XCOM-ish tactics into an 8x8 grid and quickens the pace without oversimplifying or killing the tension is kinda sublime.

It's actually not entirely unlike how Fire Emblem scaled itself down for mobile with Heroes, but the individual parts are naturally totally different. Like FEH I could totally see Into The Breach becoming one of my late night games I use to tire my brain into falling asleep.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:31 pm

Del's post in the deals thread about Hellblade reminded me to play some more of that.

The art and sound direction are bloody amazing, but as a person who has lived with psychosis the game is sometimes way too intense for me. On one hand I want to give them props for creating an fairly accurate portrayal of mental illness, and on the other hand I get really uncomfortable sometimes. :thumbsup:

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I just popped into the Playstation Store to add my free games for the month. Apparently, they heard people loud and clear, because instead of that soccer/football game that was supposed to be there, it's Detroit: Become Human! That's more like it!

Edit: I bought the basic version recently, but the freebie is the Deluxe version, so I'm not getting shafted there, but even if I did, it's nice to see them taking these seriously. They've been getting steadily worse lately. Ever since they dropped it to just two games, in fact. Or, for the year before that, even.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Dr. Mario World is now a phone game. Played it for like 20 stages or so and I dig it. Some of the menu controls can be unresponsive for a bit, though, but it's day 1 so I'll cut that some slack. As an old-school puzzle game fan, it's cool to have it.

First few maps are ridiculously easy because they're obviously meant for tutorial purposes, but it ramps up and gives item and character skill options later, which changes the outcome of certain stages.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Tetris 99 has a Splatoon 2 event happening this weekend wherein you can get a new theme. Splatoon isn't something I've played myself but it definitely has a cool look and soundtrack so I'll probably be playing a lot the next couple days just for the unlock.

T99 owns, but its menus and stuff definitely has the look of an XBLA game circa-2008, so anything new to skin over that is nice to have for sure.

Set a new personal best of 16th place, still averaging somewhere in the 50s

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm

more Switch talk: what's the deal with how the profile pages display your games and playtime? For me, it says like, "Mario Maker 2: more than 15 hours played" or whatever, but then for other stuff it's just saying when I first played, no hour count. And this seems common looking at yer profiles, too. Some folks only have hour counters, some folks only have first played, some folks are a combination. It's super weird.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:34 pm

My assumption was that it was for games that have been played more than once, but for less than an hour. But I could be wrong!

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 am

I found out about the Octopath Traveler demo due to those profile pages, so um, thanks? Does the demo progress transfer to the full game? I have about an hour left to go before my 3 hours are up. It feels very... open and I kind of don't know where to go, but I like it and will probably get the full game eventually.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 am

Yeah, your progress can transfer over in full.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 am

Not only that, each character's story is divided into 4 chapters and you have to consciously advance them. In other words, you can bumble around as long as you want before pushing the story forward.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:20 pm

True Perception wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:17 pm
I just popped into the Playstation Store to add my free games for the month. Apparently, they heard people loud and clear, because instead of that soccer/football game that was supposed to be there, it's Detroit: Become Human! That's more like it!

Edit: I bought the basic version recently, but the freebie is the Deluxe version, so I'm not getting shafted there, but even if I did, it's nice to see them taking these seriously. They've been getting steadily worse lately. Ever since they dropped it to just two games, in fact. Or, for the year before that, even.
I'm in the exact same boat! Picked it up on sale for like $15 or something. Might as well get the deluxe version, because hey why not.

I've played to around the 2/3 mark. It's very much a David Cage game but I dig it.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:20 pm

John Layfield wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:31 am
Yeah, your progress can transfer over in full.
Woot!
Delthazar wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 pm
Tetris 99 has a Splatoon 2 event happening this weekend wherein you can get a new theme. Splatoon isn't something I've played myself but it definitely has a cool look and soundtrack so I'll probably be playing a lot the next couple days just for the unlock.

T99 owns, but its menus and stuff definitely has the look of an XBLA game circa-2008, so anything new to skin over that is nice to have for sure.

Set a new personal best of 16th place, still averaging somewhere in the 50s
Played enough tonight to unlock. Definitely dig the music. Personal best tonight was 8th place. Personal worst was 91st... I got targeted by so many people right at the beginning for some raisin that nothing I did mattered.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:32 pm

even though Fire Emblem is out the same day and will dominate my free time for at least the next month and change, I splurged a little and picked up Wolfenstein Youngblood 'cause why not, it looks rad. Only 40 :can dollars, likely a short-ish campaign, surely I can squeeze it in somewhere when I'm not Fire Emblem-ing or trying to finish Judgment.

maybe more of a deals thread post, but there's a Quakecon sale on right now which includes the other modern Wolfensteins and a bunch of other things, check that out if you are so inclined.

e: PC players apparently get Youngblood a day early despite what Steam says

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... y-earlier/

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:10 pm

I'll prob be playing some Youngblood with my flatmate this weekend, we enjoy doing co-op shooter campaigns together.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:52 pm

I am truly enjoying FE New Mystery of the Emblem. The remakes of old FE games are great. It's a shame this never got a release outside of Japan, for whatever raisin. (But as I mentioned in another thread, the English patch is super easy to find). I'd recommend Shadow Dragon and this for people who can't buy Three Houses right away.