[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:52 pm

Some stuff I'd forgotten about there, nice!

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Sony is skipping E3 again this year, which is a bigger deal this time 'cause it's the PS5 launch year and all that.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qjd8 ... p-e3-again

The ESA's response, if you can call it a response, was just to fart out a generic mission statement blurb and slink away.

...but as Patrick reminds us, this is the same org that doxxed hundreds (thousands?) of press and general attendees last year and never properly made up for that, so fuck 'em, E3 can continue to gradually lose all relevance until it's eventually replaced by a dozen Direct streams scattered throughout the year and we'll be just fine.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Send this man your best vibes, let's get this made.

https://twitter.com/k_h00/status/121666 ... 98785?s=20

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:05 am

Welp,

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/12 ... 70085?s=20

Just a month, not a huge deal, plus it'll open up March a little to let a few other things breathe. Still. First high-profile delay of 2020 maybe couldn't have hit a bigger title.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:33 am

Well, Last of Us 2 was delayed, but that was announced... in December, I think.

Anyone gonna grab Kakarot at launch? I think I'm gonna wait, and play down some stuff (just started Vampyr, plus I need to finish Thor of War and Days Gone). It sounds good so far, but I'm not entirely sold.

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 am

Dunno if I'll play Kakarot at all. While I do like DBZ, I find Goku to be more boring than Superman.

If anyone(Del) is interested, I just started playing a new gacha game called Star Trek Timelines. It seems pretty good so far, actually pretty generous, and to celebrate their 4 year anniversary, they're giving away a free 5 star McCoy, so now'd be a good time to jump in and five it a shot.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:31 pm

I played a bunch of Timelines a while back, it's pretty decent for a gacha, yeah. I don't remember when or how I fell off it but maybe I'll jump in again soon.

All I really remember is you hit the roster cap pretty fast, it's super generous with energy like you said (to the point where I must've had thousands when I quit), the missions get really hard around the midgame, and there's a crazy amount of alts for just about everyone.

Oh, Fire Emblem has seven Camillas, you say? Star Trek Timelines must have a dozen Siskos. If a character wore a different shirt on TV for five minutes, that's probably another Timelines alt. One of the Odo alts is like, "Army Chaplain Odo," not because Odo ever dressed as an army chaplain at any point on DS9, but because Rene Auberjonois played one on MASH decades earlier. It's wild.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Hmm, that FF7 delay puts it even closer to P5R, which is March 31st. Guess I'll be focusing on that first instead of worrying if I can finish FF7 in time for it. That is an awfully short delay, though. Wonder what it's for.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Polish, minor QA, that sort of thing. Probably just a little too much extra work to schedule a day-1 patch, but nothing really broken enough to require a longer delay.

I wonder if the demo will hit soon to help tide us over.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:56 pm

And now for something weird and different: there's an odd Twitch stream going on with a modded Final Fantasy Tactics that turns it into a gambling tournament, a la Salty Bet several years ago.

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-tactic ... 1840998880

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:56 pm

It's a cool idea, but seeing that just makes me want a new FFT. Thanks, Del! :argh:

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am

In other news, Horizon Zero Dawn may be coming to PC!

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/01/sourc ... ing-to-pc/

That's pretty exciting to me, I'll jump into this if tis true.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm

Horizon on PC is wild, even with Death Stranding getting ported later this year, I never thought Horizon might also make the jump, even though it shares an engine.

Some folks wonder if this might signal a new shift for Sony, maybe following Microsoft's "ecosystem over platform" example and setting up their own method of cross-pollination to PC - though if Death Stranding is just gonna be on Steam/Epic, so will Horizon, I imagine. I dunno if they'd go all the way towards figuring out an Xbox-style Windows launcher.

Anyway, Horizon is already stunning just on a base PS4, it'll be neat to see what the current generation of PC graphics cards can do with it. But more than that Horizon is still easily my favourite game in its genre so I'm glad more people might get to play it.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:57 pm

So uhh speaking of high-profile delays, Cyberpunk 2077 has been pushed all the way back to September. :pacdown

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/16/21068 ... -september

All those folks I saw worrying about FInal Fantasy's chances in April can breathe easy now I guess.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Yeah, big bummer in my book. But I've been popping into the CP2077 Reddit every day or two and most of them were predicting this. There hadn't been much official news about the game for the last 2-3 months.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 pm

Horizon is a game I bought used at my local store but have yet to touch... whoops. Eventually... maybe...

And yikes, wasn't 2077 already kind of a meme for being delayed in the past? I remember Mike joking at least a year ago that it won't get released until 2077. It's the new Duke Nukem Forever.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:14 pm

I'm not sure if 2077 was ever outright delayed in the past, but it was announced ages ago, like well before their recent Witcher games even, and then only actually finally shown at E3 2018/given a release date at E3 2019.

The time and secrecy between announcement and reveal was waaay longer than normal so I guess that's where the meme came from.

Oh well, this delay will give me several months of paycheques I can use for the upgrades I'll probably need to play this thing acceptably.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 pm

I do like that they pushed to September, hopefully it's the time they need to rack up the polish without overworking their staff. I believe CD Projekt has a decent history on that side.

Most everyone who is excited about it is still going to be jonesing for it in September. Also it puts it closer in the minds of people when 2020 GOTY rolls around :pac

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 pm

I just realized September will also put 2077 very close to the most likely PS5/Xbox launch windows in October/November. I wonder if this delay gives them enough time to work on compatibility patches - assuming the PS5's supposed backwards compatibility even needs one, we don't really know how that's going to work yet.

But being able to play an improved version of 2077 on a Playstation 5 right at launch has gotta be an attractive thought for a lot of folks who aren't as inclined towards PC upgrades as I am.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Falcon Critical wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 pm
hopefully it's the time they need to rack up the polish without overworking their staff
Well,

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qjdb ... -a-failure

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 pm

Oof, my heart goes out to the devs then. No game is worth putting your devs through crunch.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Yeah. If it were just a delay, whatever, but a delay plus crunch 'til the finish line is double the management failure.

The worst part is it's not like CDPR is some lil' three-person indie darling working out of an AirB&B in Portland or whatever; Witcher has done gangbusters for them and just got a huge second wind thanks to Netflix, plus they own GOG. They can afford to staff-up for QA, keep their current staff on a normal human schedule, let the delay just be a delay.

But nah, "we're good." Fuckin' what.

e: also hey if the scope of the game is part of the reasoning here then maybe y'all could... reduce scope, just a tad? There's no raisin these games need to be this big.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 pm

Wha? They own GOG?

*looks up for confirmation, mind is blown*

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Yeah it affords them the luxury of not being too beholden to game releases/sales to keep the doors open, but apparently doesn't lead to them treating their developers better.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:30 am

All the Half-Life games are free on Steam for a while if you somehow haven't played them yet. Who knows how well the original holds up, but HL2 and the two Episodes probably play just fine even now, even if for most people all the shine has likely come off its physics puzzles and stuff after 10+ years of use and reuse.