[Final Fantasy] We are all the-Basch.

Take me Kong to the New Donk City where the bananas aren't green and the girls are Diddy.
True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

[Final Fantasy] We are all the-Basch.

Post#1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:41 am

Damn character limit in the subject line forced me too make a mistake. :argh:

Here ya go, America!

ard in a manger
Anhedonic Masochist / I only bang butts.

Re: [Final Fantasy 2] Bigger, Badder... and cut from the Tou

Post#2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 am

True Perception wrote:Damn character limit in the subject line forced me too make a mistake. :argh:

Here ya go, America!

Not just the subject line.

Have some Lightning armpits to celebrate a new thread!

Pontiff of Zion
Those gnomes are disturbingly fuckable.

Post#3 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 am

For reals FF2 is a fantastic old style open world RPG, so long as you don't cheese the system.

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post#4 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am

Is that the one where you strengthen through use of skills (HP up by taking damage, Atk up from attacking, etc.)?

One of these days I should get around to trying it, but... :¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jingle jinxo
Sausage Never Wanders

Post#5 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 am

ff2 NA or actual ff2?

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post#6 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

Actual FF2.

Not many people use the international numbers these days, thanks to the re-releases.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#7 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I love it when something I've done is reflected in a thread title. :pac

True Perception

Post#8 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:50 pm

It was the obvious joking that needed making.

True Perception

Post#9 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:44 pm

- Hi, Aeris-th's mom!

Yeah, that's all I got today. Spent a bunch of time fighting those houses, and the critters around them. Got Cloud up to Blade Beam, and Aeris-th up to Seal Evil.

Edit: BTW, I totally need to get a PC controller! My left wrist is hella messed up right now!

ard in a manger

Post#10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 pm

Get MotionInJoy, you'll be able to use a DS3.

True Perception

Post#11 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 am

Well, I don't have my PS3 controller right now. My nephew has been terrible about borrowing it without asking, and then promptly losing it. He said he knows where it is, so hopefully, he'll bring it back shortly. I remember MotionInJoy being fairly annoying, though.

ard in a manger

Post#12 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:54 am

This is why I never lend out stuff to anyone anymore.

My DS3 is plug and play after installing MIJ. The only annoying thing is that I have to unplug the power cord from my PS3, cause the controller would turn on and interact with my PS3 wirelessly and with my PC through the USB cable at the same time. :pac

True Perception

Post#13 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 am

Just don't hit the PS button...

ard in a manger

Post#14 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am

You know I can't do that. It's welded into y brain to press the PS button when I pick the thing up. :pac

Regardless, the controller would turn on my PS3 if I plugged or unplugged the USB cable from my PC.

Parallax
The Guardian of Flame and Passion / Sailor Mars / Nebula Coffee Company CFO

Post#15 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 am

Pontiff of Zargos wrote:For reals FF2 is a fantastic old style open world RPG, so long as you don't cheese the system.

This. Though you might need to cheese it just a little. Or play the iOS port, which hands you free HP sometimes, so you don't end up with 90 hp in the final dungeon.

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#16 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:42 am

ard wrote:Regardless, the controller would turn on my PS3 if I plugged or unplugged the USB cable from my PC.

This doesn't seem to happen very often with me for some raisin. I have one PS3 controller plugged into the computer at all times via the USB cable and another synced wirelessly to the PS3. When the wireless one runs out of juice I swap 'em. I guess something about that setup is preventing the power issue.

Anyway, MotionInJoy is perfect since it can emulate a bunch of different controller profiles: 360 for basically any Steam game; PS2 for PCSX2 stuff - whatever. Only tiny problem I've ever had is that it doesn't remember the last setting between restarts, but Windows is terrible with that stuff in general and it's just one launch and a click, so whatever.

Final Fantasy. That's a thing, huh?

Pontiff of Zion

Post#17 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:56 am

True Perception wrote:Is that the one where you strengthen through use of skills (HP up by taking damage, Atk up from attacking, etc.)?

One of these days I should get around to trying it, but... :¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup that's the one. The GBA and PSP ports are the best in my opinion, they get the balance pretty good. In the original you kind of do have to cheese it because you not only gain in the skills you use, you also diminish in the ones you don't. The later ports work pretty well in that just going through without stopping to grind or attack your own guts for HP buffs, you will level along with the new monsters. Often when I got to a new dungeon are area I'd get my ass kicked some at first, but that was when I'd get most of my hp ups as well as excuses to use Cure to level that up or other buffs of which there are tons.

I really like the system because it's one of the few that really encourages mages to use magic, not just save up MP for boss fights. Want to level up Fire and gain more MP? Cast that shit like crazy. Getting low on MP isn't a big problem either because the MP drain spell (Rasp or Osmose?) works really well.

The other two things I really like and wish more RPGs wouls have picked up. First, the world is largely open right from the get go. The only thing preventing you from walking from the first town to one of the last and buying some of the most powerful spells and items in the game is that there are crazy powerful monsters roaming around. Of course if you want to cheese the game or spend the time you can make yourself powerful enough to get there. Iin my experience that makes actually playing the rest of the game a real slog, but I still love that you can.

Also you learn keywords as you make your way through, and advancing the plot actually requires you to ask the right people about the right keywords. A simple thing, but in a game that old it's a really nice touch.

All that said, only bother if you like RPGs for the gameplay systems and whatnot. Even in the newer translations the story is pretty meh.

True Perception

Post#18 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Pointy wrote:I really like the system because it's one of the few that really encourages mages to use magic, not just save up MP for boss fights. Want to level up Fire and gain more MP? Cast that shit like crazy. Getting low on MP isn't a big problem either because the MP drain spell (Rasp or Osmose?) works really well.

Osmose. Think osmosis is the process of absorbing something (typically water) through a surface (usually, the skin), and a rasp is a tool for grinding something down.

And, furthermore, Pointy wrote:The other two things I really like and wish more RPGs wouls have picked up. First, the world is largely open right from the get go. The only thing preventing you from walking from the first town to one of the last and buying some of the most powerful spells and items in the game is that there are crazy powerful monsters roaming around. Of course if you want to cheese the game or spend the time you can make yourself powerful enough to get there. Iin my experience that makes actually playing the rest of the game a real slog, but I still love that you can.

That's one of the things I loved about XII. Very few artificial barriers. And, usually, you could get around them, but, you had to slog through, or run like hell!

Pontiff of Zion

Post#19 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:47 am

Yeah had to look them up, Osmose steals MP from the enemy, Sap (earlier Rasp) just lowers their MP and Drain steals their HP and gives it to you. Sap and Drain are pretty pointless but Osmose is super handy.

I really need to get around to playing FFXII some day. Maybe by the time I end up with a decent computer again Square will have pooped it out onto Steam.

True Perception

Post#20 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 am

Yeah, changing the name to Sap confuses the issue, since sap can mean both drain and smack. And, tree goo...

Pontiff of Zion

Post#21 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:45 am

That game went a little crazy with magic in a few ways. Especially considering you have to level them all separately. It's got Basuna as well as Esuna for curing various the de-buffs that get thrown at you (also spells you can use) like Poison, Mini, Toad, Slow, Sleep, Stun, Confuse, Blind, Berserk, Stop, etc. And then Wall, Barrier, Shell AND Protect which are subtly different as well as Haste, Aura, Blink, and a couple more I can't remember at the moment. It's a little nuts.

True Perception

Post#22 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:26 am

So, what's the difference between Basuna and Esuna?

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post#23 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:50 am

I was wondering that as well. Basuna only sounds vaguely familiar...

Delthazar
gregg rulz ok / Nebula Coffee Company CEO In-Absentia / CF-NHL Golf Champ/Draft Loser 2016

Post#24 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am

It's like Esuna, but bassier.

Pontiff of Zion

Post#25 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 am

They just cure different debuffs. Esuna was I think for permanent afflictions like poison, blindness, toad etc and Basuna was for stuff that was only lasted the battle like slow, stop, confuse and that stuff. Or it might have been the reverse. But the handy thing is everyone can learn any spell. So even if you have a fighter type with crappy magic you can still use him to cure ailments, which is good because you get hit with a ton of debuffs in that game.

Del, didn't you say you'd enjoyed one of the earlier 360 RPGs with a Saga style leveling system? Resonance of Fate? Lost Odyssey? Or am I crazy?

Return to “NEW DONK CITY”