CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Re: CF-WRUP V: Good play. Nice talk.

Post by Bier_Engel » 2 weeks ago

My boss plays Witcher and talks about it all the time, so I was thinking of giving it a shot, so good to know. She just says "Witcher" but she's *probably* referring to 3. Assuming that 3 is on PC, because she doesn't do console gaming.

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » 2 weeks ago

Yeah, it's on Steam as well.

I watched Notabohr go through most of W3. It's definitely a beautiful game, with plenty to do and apparently fun gameplay. I think the main raisin it became so universally loved is that both its writing and voice-acting are very good. Maybe not the best ever (I still give the edge to Mass Effect for best overall acting in a franchise), but people wouldn't have cared nearly as much about Geralt and Friends if they weren't well-performed.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » 2 weeks ago

If you're jumping in probably Witcher 3 is the best place. Witcher 2 is also pretty good, but if you've watched the TV series you don't meet Yennifer and Ciri till the third game.

Don't play the first one, it's clunky as heck. Not outright bad, just bears a lot of the marks of old eastern european game design, where things are obtuse because they can be and also kinda fiddly.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » 2 weeks ago

Just beat Sacred Stones and I'm annoyed because my main save file is from after a point of no return, and I didn't know that. I had plans to go back and do the optional dungeon but now I'd have to start all over to do so. Unfortunately, my end game save file just restarts the credits and what not. I was hoping it'd let me go back to the map to do the optional stuff. Well, that's a bummer.

Edit: Nevermind! Glad I decided to look into it. Apparently, I can access the map with my epilogue file by going to "extras," rather than loading it normally. Tonight is saved and I have stuff to do until Thursday when the 3H DLC drops.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » 2 weeks ago

So I finished Coffee Talk, generally liked it though I did notice on Lua's profile that her birthday was Oct 2nd so when she came in that day I was a little sad that no-one mentioned it.

It was fun to read Freya's daily articles on the phone, like Aqua said they were a bit of a mixed bag. The final three part story especially was perhaps too long, but I really liked how it ended.
Spoiler :
I couldn't figure out the Fury-calming beverage, mostly because I got thrown when I gave him tea+ginger+lemon or something he was like "this isn't even what I asked for" which made me re-question which type of tea I was supposed to use. Ended up with 0 werewolf friendship points :pacdown

The other patron I didn't get to max friends with was the Orc developer, because of that Teh Tarik and prob another of her more obscure requests I couldn't quite get right. Not sure if that goes from close friends to hook-up city with Aqua because their relationship seemed on that trajectory.

I am slightly curious about how the story changes if you just fuck up every order.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » 2 weeks ago

I'm about 40% through it and really enjoying so far. There are very few guides for it so far, so I wonder if it's actually possible to hit full friendship points with every character in a single playthrough.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » 1 week ago

I figure for most characters you just need to make coffee they like, though i'm sure there's some quirks in there.

Delthazar
< You are the Director now >

Post by Delthazar » 1 week ago

I'm pretty sure some of the individual character endings may vary even if you max out, due in part to some quirks, yes
Spoiler for endings :
For Freya, I got the "finished her book, but it didn't sell well" ending slide, and there's a missing picture in my gallery right next to that one, I guess implying either a worse ending or a better one

I figure I should've followed Baileys' advice on that one night and given Freya something she needed (a sedative?) rather than the espresso she wanted, maybe then her writing would've turned out better 'cause she wouldn't have pushed herself too hard.

I think the post-credits scene is meant to gesture towards bits you messed up so you can do better on another run and that night came up along with... two others? Unfortunately other than the Freya one I've kinda forgotten the other two already :pacdown
But yeah, I enjoyed my time with it, but I dunno if I'll ever get around to a second run to max the friend levels or complete the gallery and drink list and generally get the best endings.

Delthazar

I also started up Kentucky Route Zero. Got through Act 1 in about an hour and a half, so I wonder if this quick pace will hold for the full five acts and the intermissions. I have a feeling they get longer from here, and while there was certainly some mind-bendyness in Act 1, it's so far pretty light - though I do know a lot of folks have said that aspect of KRZ gets way more wild later on.

Technical quirk: unless my Steam FPS counter is borked this thing is running at like 1000+ FPS and my fans were at full blast for pretty much the whole hour and a half, so... I should probably look into capping that somehow. It didn't affect gameplay at all but that high a number and that much fan noise will always make me paranoid.

Delthazar

I've also been playing a lot of the Sega Ages version of the original Phantasy Star on the Switch and I'm really pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to powerlevel, and how early you can do it.

Just fight a few things between Camineet and Scion for a bit 'til you can afford slightly better gear (or fill your empty gear slots), then fight pairs of Owl Bears in the little forest within Camineet's walls 'til you get your levels up enough to survive the Fishmen along the coast north of Camineet. Then grind those as long as you want 'cause their XP/Meseta drops are suspiciously good for such an earlygame monster. In my case, I've kept grinding long enough to learn all the spells, afford all the best gear in Camineet/Scion/Paseo, plus key items like the Magic Lamp, and I'll probably keep going until I run out of podcasts.

I already have Alis and Myau around Lv. 22 in under four hours. The level cap is 30. You probably don't even need to be at the cap to survive the last few bosses. :pac And since XP in Phantasy Star games is split among party members, I probably could've got Alis to the cap if I hadn't gone and recruited Myau. At this rate Odin's gonna be waiting a while for his medicine.

DHerder222

Post by DHerder222 » 6 days ago

I haven't used GOG in several years and last used it on a different computer. So I signed up for a new account and new e-mail address to pick up a game that was on crazy sale, marked down from $10 to $1.50. Nice deal, was worth it.

But then I learned GOG gives new users a 48-hour flash sale on a bunch of stuff. I bought three more games for $5.47 that would have normally been $37, an 85% markdown. That was...pretty awesome. :awesome