[Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Re: [Fire Emblem] Ah Yes, the Three Houses

Post by Delthazar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:37 am

Lüff, the FEH unit of Danish kings.

John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Post by John Layfield » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:09 am

Delthazar wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 am
I'm still missing Ellie on the TMS banner so that's where my orbs are going. Lif can wait. Liff. Loof. Lorf.
Good lad. You can't miss your chance at a brush with Hollywood!

This banner can get smoked. All my orbs go to TMS until the banner ends. :awesomelon

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 am

CYL results are leaked.

This is overall and not split into male/female, though.
Spoiler :
Hubert made 74 overall which is quite nice, while Soren I think scored slightly lower than last year due to all the new characters, but not by that much.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoIZWjHA-g

Well, at least Fehnix's voice is less annoying.

Feh with "Vacation Juice." Cute.And she's teaching Xander to swim... lol. She must be loving those muscles.

CYL was already leaked, bro. And the top results didn't change from the midterm. Come on...

3rd Anniversary: Repeat of CYL fests like last year. I only need the most recent ones. 5 tickets rather than 4 is cool, too. Daily free summons and quests, woot. Daily maps... he's making them sound hard but I bet it's like level 5 and 15. Only 1 free summon for specials this time? I thought we got 2 last time... And a voting gauntlet where we actually win a hero... nice.

Early Valentine reveal: Wasn't expecting Echoes, actually. Definitely want Duo Alm/Celica. Faye carrying around baskets of raw meat... lol. (I thought Conrad was younger than Celica... have to look that up). I guess we get Rudolf because we got Ike's dad last year. Also, nice spoilers, FEH. And another Silque alt so soon? And... 4* focus heroes for new banners? NICE. Actually, I really like that.

Gamefaqs have been joking about a subscription service forever... wow. The perks are tempting, though. Definitely a pay to win BS type of thing, though. Re-act is super tempting since I don't pay attention sometimes. Auto-start is just like: we know the monthly quests are repetitive and annoying. Pay us to make it less tedious. $9.49 a month... ugh. But as a daily player, that's honestly not horrible.

Finally, the Divine Codes: Seems interesting. So you can have manuals of characters you've never summoned. Makes foddering easier, since there is no guilt of getting rid of a playable character. I like it.

Lysithea at the end was cute.

E: Lys' sprite with a Garreg Mach uniform at the end also tells me that she was already planned to be in the game as a normal unit, which is no surprise.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:39 pm

I didn't check out the CYL leak before. Not surprising at all 3H ran the table, though part of me will always dread another Camilla getting in somehow via the anime tity voting bloc. (Big Bap Bloc.) Neat that this is how Lys makes her FEH debut. Odd that Doro keeps coming up short. Glad Claude made it. #FearTheDeer

A $9 monthly subscription service... :pacdown I don't doubt it'll be successful despite itself, Nintendo already makes a solid half-billion on this thing already, it's certainly got its share of whales who'll happily drop hundreds just on the banners we've already had, so a monthly sub is nothing by comparison. Resplendents are at least an attractive hook, and the other features are nice, but they feel like features we would've got normally 'til someone in a c-suite office somewhere decided to toss 'em in the sub instead.

But yeah nah, if I can't bring myself to spend roughly the same monthly charge on Final Fantasy XIV, I ain't gonna drop it on a phone game, even if it's something I've been playing daily for three years. I could perhaps be tempted by the right Resplendent to sign up for a month and then bail. Ugh. I hate that I know that about myself.

Divine Codes seem neat and should really help push me towards finally sitting down and hammering out serious builds for my best units. At least once we see which manuals we're dealing with.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Characters who won previous CYL votes in years past can't be voted for again, so any fears of Camilla were unfounded. However, I think that's how Plumeria made it to rank 6 for women, despite having almost zero characterization. Never underestimate the horny vote.

Kinda conflicted about the subscription myself, as mention on the Discord. I have the money, but that's not *the point*. The perks don't start until March, if I recall correctly, and even then, the resplendent rewards come on the 9th and somewhere later in the month. I suppose I can see if people who subscribe right away say the extra quests are worth it or not. I mostly want those. I clear the quests way too early for the most part and definitely want more rewards.

The voting gauntlet where we win the hero is an improvement over the 4 golden orbs thing from last year, I'd say. The way of going about it is better, too. Instead of that "find and vote" garbage where most people weren't aware they could even scroll the screen, we now have a CYL-style way of voting people in. Start now!

I picked Legendary Julia for my first vote. I would like another pair-up unit. So on that same token, I think I will vote Legendary Celica tomorrow.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:53 am

So, free units. For my seasonal, I pulled blue in hopes of Soren, but wouldn't have minded W!Nino or H!Ilyana, or even a summer unit... but I got... Spring Marisa. Gag. Spring units are so horribly disappointing. Now I wish I would have pulled green, because if I had to get stuck with a shitty spring unit, at least I like Veronica better.

Since we also got a sneak peak into the next banner, I decided to drop orbs for Leif. I ended up with a -atk Loki. Today has not been a good gacha day.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Fehnix was fun, but I'm still a Feh fan.

That Alm/Celica duo is so damn cute, def want them. Tried to snipe Sharena/Alfonse on the guaranteed 5 star.... didn't even get a blue orb in the circle :pacdown went with Red and got a second Anna, so that's a fine consolation.

As much of a sucker as I am for alt-costumes, it's prob the only part of the pass that really speaks to me, so $9 is a bit steep even for my blood.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Oh hey, 333 free grails. That'll definitely get me another Kronya, maybe not quite enough for two at the point I'm at now. +6 soon. Soon...

Annoyed that Panne got bounced from the gauntlet, hopefully Nailah can pull out her win.

I'm not quite sure who to go for on this free 5* summon. Feel like I need to put together a damn flowchart. Ffff.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:34 pm

First ticket got me a Camilla, figures. I think I already have this one so she'll be a merge or a fodder. Is +Res ideal? I don't think about staff-users a lot and my original copy is neutral.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:54 pm

+Res is always great for magic/staff users since they can more easily tank the other mages they will likely take on.

If you still don't know what color to free pull, I think green has the most attractive options. You're looking at H!L'Arachel, W!Sothis (but you have her already, right?), NY!Lethe (I heard she was broken), and then the rest are meh in my opinion, but at least the spring alt is Veronica.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 am

Here are the midterm results of the current voting thing.

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status ... 6992577536

Of the top 8, I'm only lacking Lif and Leif. Why the fuck is the free Ike #13? Do people not understand what this vote is for?

My Altina has a shitty bane so if she wins, I won't be too mad, I guess. But that would also make her a FTP unit, so I'd be afraid to merge her.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:11 am

Wonder if Sothis is just riding the 3H bubble. Unless there's something specifically great about that unit?

e: oh, and her alt is #4 :pac Huh.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:39 am

Yeah apparently people love a brain dragon.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:14 pm

I somehow missed regular Sothis in the mix. I don't have her, either.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 pm

Falcon Critical wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:39 am
brain dragon.
Heh, I like that. Might replace "green Morgana"

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 pm

The update is live and man, does it suck. Part of why I liked FEH is that, even though I knew it was a game with microtransactions, it wasn't shoved in my face. It was on the shop screen and I never had to look at it. Now, it's fucking shoved in our faces. Can't do a training tower map without it telling you about the auto feature that the pass gives, and I fat finger buttons a lot, so I already hit the "shop" button it throws in the middle of that now more than once.

Worst of it, it notifies you of completed FEH pass quests, even if you can't collect them. I'm an OCD person that clears out all of my notifications right away. I... can't now. It's just cruel (and annoying) to show me rewards that I've "earned" but can't actually get. Time to send feedback. Part of why I only played Dr. Mario World for like 3 days before uninstalling was because it pulled this same shit. This game makes so much more money, though, that I don't see why this is necessary.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Put FEH on the Switch and give the Pass away to Nintendo Online subscribers. Boom, done, come hire me, Nintendo. I'm an uncle, I can be someone's Uncle Who Works At Nintendo, it'll be great.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 pm

It's been pointed out that Switch Online is only $20 a year (I'm still in my free period) so yeah... the price of the FEH pass vs. that is ridiculous. Now if this were only $20 a year, QoL updates locked behind a paywall aside, I'd probably do it. And so would a lot more people. I swear they will lose money on this. What were they thinking?

Amidst the BS, the trailer showing the skills for the Valentine's banner is up. Easy to miss tonight, since everyone is focusing on the shitty update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moj5MAvaa14

I don't have an armored archer so Faye is tempting. Nice skill set.

Still mainly going for Alm/Celica for obvious raisins (and I like that healing duo skill).

Apparently, only Conrad is in the 4* pool. I figured it would be the whole banner at 4/5 star (aside from the duo), so I misunderstood the FEH channel. Still an easier chance to get a rare unit nonetheless.

So yeah, not all of the updates were bad, but man, this was poorly implemented. Apparently, the pass doesn't even work with Android properly yet, so those buyers are just getting errors.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 pm

I might take a couple shots at the Alm/Celica but that'll be a low priority.
Bier_Engel wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 pm
I swear they will lose money on this. What were they thinking?
I dunno, the same whales who keep dropping hundreds if not thousands of dollars on orbs for banners will pop ten bones a month for the subscription without giving it a second thought. A good number of normal players will probably do the same as long as the Resplendents are shiny enough, even if they only buy a month here and there to collect units they like. Undoubtedly that's why they led with that Lyn.

Even with this new sub and its issues, FEH's monetization is still far lighter than other games of this type. Of the handful I've played, DX2, Pocket Camp, Sega Heroes, and that FF thing were all worse, and usually immediately at launch. I think a few others started okay like FEH and got worse over time. Normally my cue to drop a game like this is constant random sales pop-ups (all over the place in DX2, for instance) so we'll see if FEH gets there.

I don't see them losing money on this barring a mass revolt and those rarely actually happen despite whatever noise folks make about boycotts. Gamers by and large just do not have the willpower and keep demonstrating that time after time regardless of reasoning. Turns out a ton of people weren't particularly serious about that whole Free Hong Kong thing and went right back to Blizzard's games the moment their next round of seasonal events fired up. Go figure.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:07 am

Got nothing with my final ticket for the CYL3 banner so I dropped 18 orbs and got Eliwood... with -atk.

That defeat 1000 enemies event is live and the rewards are laughable. I did the math and you'd have to defeat 71-72 enemies every day over the two week period to hit it, and the final reward is... one measly orb. Seems like a blatant attempt to sell the pass so that people can auto-battle the starting stratum more efficiently. I'm already done with all of the monthly quests, so outside of arena/AR, I guess that's what I'd have to do, but manually.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:07 am

Why would you auto battle the lower stratum for 3-5 enemies when you can auto battle Rival Domains for 20, with zero stamina cost, anyway. I think 1 orb is such a poor reward, this couldn't possibly be a Pass incentive anyway. (Although there's enough 'encouragement' baked into the UI now).

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:03 am

Whatever orbs are in the Pass quests would be the incentives, whatever's in the 1000 enemy thing is just random filler. Gotta put an orb in there to break up all the... crystals, and, uh... tokens, or whatever, I can't remember half the names for these things because I already have hundreds of thousands of them and never think about it anymore.

I think that's led me towards kinda never reading the pre- and post-match messages at all unless it's prompting me to change my party. I'll just absent-mindedly tap whatever button is green to get in, again to clear the post-match quest stuff, claim things when the fountain is glowing, ignore everything else. The Pass thing on the quest window UI now is just one more thing to ignore.

But yeah, Rival Domains for the 1000 is probably quickest. Wonder if Tap Battle counts. Slogging through the training tower has never felt worthwhile to me for any raisin, not even the handful of orbs in the upper stratum. Feels like I've barely been in there since Special Training was added.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:33 pm

John Layfield wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:07 am
Why would you auto battle the lower stratum for 3-5 enemies when you can auto battle Rival Domains for 20, with zero stamina cost, anyway.
I didn't even think of that. I'm used to completing those maps on Saturday when they're new and forgetting all about it. Good call.
Delthazar wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:03 am
claim things when the fountain is glowing
I hate that the pass rewards show up there when you can't actually claim them. I'm the type that has to clear out all notifications right away, so seeing that number there pisses me off.

John Layfield

Post by John Layfield » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:53 am

Delthazar wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:03 am
But yeah, Rival Domains for the 1000 is probably quickest. Wonder if Tap Battle counts. Slogging through the training tower has never felt worthwhile to me for any raisin, not even the handful of orbs in the upper stratum. Feels like I've barely been in there since Special Training was added.
I'll do the lower stratum orb quests, the win 10 times ones. But the higher ones have it at 15 and then there's the team limitations, and it's just... no thanks. ~135 stamina and an all armor team and the time to win those fights for 1 orb isn't worth any of that.