[Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

I'm ready go tonight. There's a party, alright. We don't need the raisin for joy, oh yeah. Tick down to midnight.
John Layfield
Make sure John Layfield looks strong!

Re: [Game News] + General Gamesy Chatter

Post by John Layfield » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Delthazar wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:15 pm
And with that, I suppose the only significant WiiU exclusive still without a modern port/sequel/remaster is, uh... Pikmin? Was there a Pikmin? I feel like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Wonderful 101 were the last major holdouts.
Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters would be the ones off the top of my head.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:52 pm

There's like 17k+ people watching PSO2 on Twitch right now - more than Overwatch, Minecraft, DOTA, etc. Not bad for a closed beta of an 8 year-old MMO coming to North America for the first time.

Despite the closed status, it seems Sega got a ton more people signed up than they expected, so most ships (read: servers) are getting hammered. Probably means the beta schedule will be extended a bit. I imagine Sega must be pretty happy, I wonder if they even foresaw this level of interest.

Giant Bomb played a bit on UPF today and it looked pretty fun, if a tad on the old side, as you'd expect. But the character customization alone has me stoked. Can't wait to get in there and play with alllll those sliders. (Big points to Brad for playing bits of the Phantasy Star 2 soundtrack on his phone, warms the old Algol OG heart.)

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Holy shit, it's Layfield! My inebriated brain is telling me I haven't seen you post in forever, but your post history says I just don't pay attention to the right topics...

Thunderhead
Typical ninja stealth costuming. / Nebula Coffee Company COO

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Currently watching a fake idol sing a cheesy Engrish pop song. I feel so Japanese...

Also, beta was extended. I get to play again tomorrow.

Oh shit, I'm about to fight Dark Falz... That Dreamcast mag MUST be mine...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:16 pm

Hell yeah, get that MAG.

I think I'll roll a proper PSO2 thread soon. Ish. I don't really know enough about how PSO2 actually works to do the OP proper justice and who knows when the Windows port will hit so I can find out.

I watched a couple streamers playing the JP version last night while the NA beta servers were borked. One of them had the Morgana costume, and he was rolling Ranger, so the visual of a tiny cartoon cat blasting shit with a giant fuck-off laser rifle was pretty funny.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:34 pm

What an anti-climax. We only fought his arm, and the high level players stomped him in 2 seconds. Ah well, that guarantees my mag.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:43 pm

I'm now grinding on Dark Falz's arm. Take that how you will.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Hell yeah, get that arm.

Thunderhead

Post by Thunderhead » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:09 pm

Fought and killed Dark Falz! Yeah! Game is now stuck at loading so no lootz for me. Noooooooo...

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:45 pm

So if you saw the PC Pokemon-like Tem Tem and said, "this is cool and all, but what I really want is a PC Animal Crossing," you're in luck, here comes Hokko Life. It'll enter Early Access on Steam sometime this year. It's also a one-man project so keep that in mind regarding timetables.

https://youtu.be/yS8OlpSNM1k

In worse news, it sounds like OtherSide's System Shock 3 is effectively dead, having lost at minimum its directors, writers, and lead programmers, and perhaps the whole team, pending confirmation.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/0 ... -employed/

Nightdive's remake of the original System Shock is unaffected.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:32 pm

If you're in the mood to simulate a kingdom, consider Yes, Your Grace, now dated for March 6.

https://youtu.be/nKjJarr-cWE

DHerder222
Pollmaster General / Tournament Grandmaster / Keeper of the GURPS Solis

Post by DHerder222 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Ooh, this is the one with financial management, yes? I'm actually interested in that?

My one concern is that what little I've seen indicates it may rely heavily on deadpan/macabre humor. A little of that is fine but it can get old quickly if overused.

cybersix
ALIENS

Post by cybersix » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:10 am

News to me that the original System Shock is being remade. Wondering why that and not the way better System Shock 2. Oh well.

Wasn't there an Animal Crossing that just came out on the Switch?

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:08 am

Animal Crossing hits on March 20. Soon now. Soon...

True Perception
My hole was almost closed, too, but now I've spread it back open / I could even be comfortable bareback!

Post by True Perception » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:14 am

My nephew keeps telling me how long it is until Animal Crossing comes out. I don't care, but he's super excited.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 pm

An OG Xbox build of Starcraft Ghost has leaked via an old devkit.

https://youtu.be/DHQVsejt_bE

https://kotaku.com/it-seems-an-playable ... 1841731450

It looks very much like what you'd expect from an unfinished third-person stealth shooter circa-2002, maybe a little shinier than most of its contemporaries thanks to its 720 support, but... yeah, nothing exactly groundbreaking, which is maybe why it was ultimately cancelled. The early/mid 2000s was lousy with this exact action game and regardless of its Starcraft branding Ghost probably would've just got lost.

Nova's character design is also dated so incredibly specifically to the 00s she may as well have been draped over the cars in Juiced

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Homeworld devs Blackbird have a damned unique looking side project coming called Hardspace: Shipbreaker. It'll be entering early access sometime in the summer.

https://youtu.be/sDPgI9vkmYg

Not sure shipbreaking has ever been the focus of a game before, certainly not in space.

Bier_Engel
Anal beads are like a rosary for your ass!

Post by Bier_Engel » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:05 am

Speaking of Animal Crossing, I pulled the trigger and pre-ordered it yesterday. I think part of my boredom with New Leaf is that I bought it super late in its life cycle, so I had no one playing it with me or even talking about it much while I was playing it.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Shipbreaker looks rad, I'll add it to my list. I always enjoy when a game like that just uses environmental hazards as the threats, like I love Subnautica but the constant giant monsters that want to vore you were a bit much. The only giant monster I want is SPACE.

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Something called Beautiful Desolation came out today. I've never heard of it or its dev team 'til now, but it has a really strong look: kind of a modernized combat-light Fallout 1 & 2. It looks a little less systems-heavy, a little more point-and-click, the setting is maybe more overgrowth instead of post-nuke, but they're definitely wearing a lot of that influence on their sleeve - check out the UI, especially for dialogue.

https://youtu.be/dDXZ_hsHUVw

...Wasteland Remastered is also out today, but it's apparently still very much the 1988 Wasteland with a fresher look, so I'll probably hold off a while 'til I hear some feedback. If I struggled trying to go back and replay the original X-Com a while ago, I'd probably have just as much trouble with a Commodore 64-era CRPG like Wasteland, even if it looks nicer now.

There's also some minor details on Diablo IV, kinda-sorta only worth noting 'cause these are the first details of any kind since it was announced last year.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4 ... ruary-2020

(There was a rumour last week about Diablo and Overwatch animated series coming to Netflix, who knows if that'll happen though. A Diablo series might be fun if it doesn't take itself too seriously. Overwatch would be perfect as a Saturday morning cartoon and has maybe kinda been one already from the start.)

Delthazar
Why, helllooo!

Post by Delthazar » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:51 pm

A lot of folks put out Baldur's Gate 3 impressions over the last few days.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/0 ... arly-here/
https://www.polygon.com/2020/2/27/21156 ... an-studios
https://kotaku.com/13-things-you-should ... 1841960076
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkem ... gons-chaos

Everyone seems to be really impressed, which is nice to hear given it was only announced fairly recently and will indeed be out this year, albeit in an early access state. I would've expected it to be way more rough than it apparently is right now.

I still haven't played any of the Divinity games but if BG3 is the best of those plus the best of Baldur's Gate then this could be a really big hit and a really important turning point for such an old and inactive series.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:01 am

The FF7 remake demo is out now. I have to go to work, but I'm going to start the download.

True Perception

Post by True Perception » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:05 am

Downloading over my phone's hotspot. Hopefully, it won't take too long...

Edit: Nope! Way too slow right now. I'll try tonight. I always get faster speed at night.

Falcon Critical
Got Seniority

Post by Falcon Critical » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:42 am

Yeah I was really impressed by the BG3 showing. It looks like it combines the best bits of Divinity (environmental manipulation, elemental combos) with stuff I love from D&D. I'm already theorycrafting character(s) to play.

Do you remember when D:OS2 came out they had a DM mode multiplayer? I don't think it ended up getting used a lot, but if they stick to that and refine it for this game we could see some great tabletop style content in that multiplayer mode.

Side Note: Yes Minsc and Buu were hilarious back in the day, but stop bringing them up any time anyone mentions Baldur's Gate! They def asked Sven about it on the livestream, I wonder how many of the previous demos he's done someone's asked "what about the space hamster?" Let it go people.

Bier_Engel

Post by Bier_Engel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 pm

True Perception wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:05 am
Downloading over my phone's hotspot. Hopefully, it won't take too long...

Edit: Nope! Way too slow right now. I'll try tonight. I always get faster speed at night.
It downloaded way faster for me than expected, so I actually got to play a little before work. Very impressed with the graphics and music. Controls took me a bit to figure out and I kept hitting the wrong buttons. I made it through on normal but had a rough time with the scorpion. I played again on classic mode and that was way easier (didn't do the boss- just wanted to see the difference). It's nice that they let you switch modes any time, though. I'll probably roll normal and try to get used to it, and change to classic if I'm having trouble.